2.4L LE5 Performance Tech 16 valve 171 hp EcoTec with 163 lb-ft of torque

Nitrous 2.4

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 12:59 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nitrous 2.4

I beleive i looked this up already myself but is anyone running a small shot of nitrous in the 2.4 stock liek 50 or 75 shot but i wouldnt want to run it with stock intake mani. i mean with stock everything sept like exhaust and intake but i just wonderd if someone has some specs or something on it had an idea for my car.

ryan.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:48 AM

on stock i would run a 35 shot, until your modded
Old 07-20-2007, 07:26 PM
Banned

i mean i understand it correctly i have a friend has that white cobalt ls i think with CF hood and he blew his intake mani in pieces i dont remember his name though. i knew before hand that he shoulda got a alumminum one or something. im not to sure what else would be needed for n2o. i think a fuel catch i read that somewere maybe not i dont know.

ryan.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i hope you get nitrous backfire... pay off your tickets first .... you obviously go fast enough...

but i actually will help you on this one... its not a matter of the shot you have to just make sure of alot of factors the reason the white 2.2 blew was because of nitrous backfire... it didn't have anything to do with his intake mani.. some people have problems with their window switches failing... however fuel puddling to n20 backfire is the biggues issues..

http://www.gravanatuning.com/applica...em._30_50_75HP
http://www.gravanatuning.com/applica..._Accessory_Kit
http://www.gravanatuning.com/applica...em_40_60HP_Kit

oh an if you don't remember his name he can't be too good of friend rice boy

Last edited by elecblue06; 07-20-2007 at 09:29 PM.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:08 PM

I'm running a 50shot Wet on my 2.4L Auto. I've been doing so for about 6 months now with no problems.

All I have is a AEM CAI and one step colder sparkplugs.

Thats it.

After I can afford an aluminum intake manifold, I will bump it up to a 75shot with full bolt-ons like Full header/Exhaust setup, wideband o2, and MSD ignition control.

Make sure you run a wet kit
Colder plugs
DO NOT spray in 1st or 2nd gear below 3k RPMs or you will break somthing.
Wait till 3k RPMs in 3rd Gear to start spraying.

For best performance, use a bottle warmer. The more pressure in the bottle, the better performance.

When using nitrous - Always use unleaded gasoline with an octane reading higher than 91. The higher the better.

DO NOT use any fuel additives - Octane boosters, fuel injector cleaners, ect...

any more questions?
Old 07-20-2007, 10:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ugh...

The manifold type (plastic, alluminum) has nothing to do with having nitrous backfires. It has to do with the design of the manifold.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:28 PM

I dont think you should have a problem spraying a 75shot on a stock engine. The 2.4's are supposed to be able to take more than the 2.2's. 50 shot is the lowest I would run if you want to play it safe.

I blew up my engine from a nitrous backfire running a 75shot on my 2.2 but it was due to a faulty window switch. Im back up and running right now without any hesitation.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by elecblue06
i hope you get nitrous backfire... pay off your tickets first .... you obviously go fast enough...

but i actually will help you on this one... its not a matter of the shot you have to just make sure of alot of factors the reason the white 2.2 blew was because of nitrous backfire... it didn't have anything to do with his intake mani.. some people have problems with their window switches failing... however fuel puddling to n20 backfire is the biggues issues..

http://www.gravanatuning.com/applica...em._30_50_75HP
http://www.gravanatuning.com/applica..._Accessory_Kit
http://www.gravanatuning.com/applica...em_40_60HP_Kit

oh an if you don't remember his name he can't be too good of friend rice boy
LOL...he will never live it down
Old 07-20-2007, 11:46 PM
Banned

yeah i didnt know what the reason was from the nitrous i knew it was some sort of backfire cuz there was a slight plume of fire for split second. but i just thought i didnt know i could do it with the bigger injectors i have. or if anyone was using it yet. or i mean just a safe amount of n20 like 50 is safe not to much right just wondering.

ryan.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by rlinden86
yeah i didnt know what the reason was from the nitrous i knew it was some sort of backfire cuz there was a slight plume of fire for split second. but i just thought i didnt know i could do it with the bigger injectors i have. or if anyone was using it yet. or i mean just a safe amount of n20 like 50 is safe not to much right just wondering.

ryan.
The reason people get backfires is from fuel puddling in the intake manifold. Understand that your manifold was designed to carry in oxygen, not a mix of oxygen and fuel...this is called a "Dry" manifold. If it was designed for carrying fuel like a Carb vehicle, it would be a "Wet" manifold.

What happends is that when fuel is spraying, it's spraying at a constant, so throughout all 4 engine cycles (intake, compression, power & exhaust), so it is possible for fuel to not get used and back up into the manifold. The more engine revolutions, the more likely fuel will get used but it's at lower RPMs/Launches where this usually occurs. The hot temperatures from the combustion chamber in combination with a flamable liquid like gasoline can cause a uncontrollable explosion in your manifold if there is a large amount of fuel present.

This is also why people say "don't spray off a launch" or "wait till 2nd gear".
Old 07-21-2007, 12:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by NJHK
The reason people get backfires is from fuel puddling in the intake manifold. Understand that your manifold was designed to carry in oxygen, not a mix of oxygen and fuel...this is called a "Dry" manifold. If it was designed for carrying fuel like a Carb vehicle, it would be a "Wet" manifold.

What happends is that when fuel is spraying, it's spraying at a constant, so throughout all 4 engine cycles (intake, compression, power & exhaust), so it is possible for fuel to not get used and back up into the manifold. The more engine revolutions, the more likely fuel will get used but it's at lower RPMs/Launches where this usually occurs. The hot temperatures from the combustion chamber in combination with a flamable liquid like gasoline can cause a uncontrollable explosion in your manifold if there is a large amount of fuel present.

This is also why people say "don't spray off a launch" or "wait till 2nd gear".
yeah i know your pretty smart about alot of things ive given you rep but wont let me give more your a good guy even though i had some negitive comments from you but i dont care its done with. but im on the track to getting things figured out and being good.!

ryan.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:44 AM

yeah i know your pretty smart about alot of things ive given you rep but wont let me give more your a good guy even though i had some negitive comments from you but i dont care its done with. but im on the track to getting things figured out and being good.!

ryan.
I honestly don't remember and I try not to be insulting unless I'm provoked or something.

You're welcome and good luck.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:56 AM
Banned

I honestly don't remember and I try not to be insulting unless I'm provoked or something.

You're welcome and good luck.
yeah i was reading somemore info on the hahn turbo looks great im assuming there could be a possibility of upgrading it like stage 2 or something like how the srt4s are i wouldnt see why not. we could push upwards of atleast 300whp but then you run into stock clutch issues and limited slip that we dont have and this and that.

ryan.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:59 AM

yeah i was reading somemore info on the hahn turbo looks great im assuming there could be a possibility of upgrading it like stage 2 or something like how the srt4s are i wouldnt see why not. we could push upwards of atleast 300whp but then you run into stock clutch issues and limited slip that we dont have and this and that.

ryan.
Do some more researches. Stages really mean nothing, it's just a way to label items in a package, really.

Hahn does offer a 20G upgrade but you gotta be needing to push a huge amount of power to need such a large turbocharger as well as other upgrades like fuel injectors etc.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:08 AM
Banned

Do some more researches. Stages really mean nothing, it's just a way to label items in a package, really.

Hahn does offer a 20G upgrade but you gotta be needing to push a huge amount of power to need such a large turbocharger as well as other upgrades like fuel injectors etc.
yeah i seen that its huge and think of all the extra work the 2.4 would need pistons limited slip and a clutch after about 290whp atleast.

ryan.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:10 AM

yeah i seen that its huge and think of all the extra work the 2.4 would need pistons limited slip and a clutch after about 290whp atleast.

ryan.
Possibly...not defenitely though.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:12 AM
Banned

i mean safely to be on the safe side that would probly be best atleast the clutch would have to be upgraded cuz sc guys that i know 1 or 2 runnin like 330whp have to get a new clutch cuz it just slips away in first and 2nd.

ryan.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:21 AM

i mean safely to be on the safe side that would probly be best atleast the clutch would have to be upgraded cuz sc guys that i know 1 or 2 runnin like 330whp have to get a new clutch cuz it just slips away in first and 2nd.

ryan.
Well first figure out how much power you "need" rather than some magical number. Even 250 whp is plenty for a FWD vehicle and you'll be flying pass alot of cars.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:23 AM
Banned

Well first figure out how much power you "need" rather than some magical number. Even 250 whp is plenty for a FWD vehicle and you'll be flying pass alot of cars.
yeah i already do that. lol gotta settle down but 250whp i think would be very nice specially in the 2.4 with that turbo and diamond pistons and new cams i could get around 270ish i would imagine.

ryan.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:24 AM

yeah i already do that. lol gotta settle down but 250whp i think would be very nice specially in the 2.4 with that turbo and diamond pistons and new cams i could get around 270ish i would imagine.

ryan.
Just worry about the turbo setup before thinking about your engine. Keep things moderate and learn more about your engine before buying anything.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:27 AM
Banned

a agree i like the 2.4 engine now its beautiful lots of potential sounds great the way it is i can hear a slight whine from the cams well not a whine hard to describe but it sounds nice with intake and exhaust and the bigger of the three ecos.

yeah i want to get the turbo to fix my afrs and just overall make it a nice project but need a job they let me go but i have to wait till after my surgery but no biggie. its just interesting i know you know lots about turbos i read all your posts on them and everything i mean you post about everything and its very reliable info and accurate so your a good guy. ive given you as much rep allowed for now lol.

ryan. all im good at is helping people with there visual mods and ideas for making things im good at custom jobs like my coil pack cover made that in a day.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
and njhk wins again for informative post of the thread.. I gotta stop doubting myself/being lazy and just posting what i'm gonna say.. however I still think you got into it further then i would've thought of. haha

i'd give you rep if i still didn't need t opred it around.. i dunno how i need to still though adam
Old 07-21-2007, 01:30 AM
Banned

i never get rep for my good thoughts lol. anywhos like i said im good at ideas for visual things i only seen somethings that people are doing that dont really look good but its all in opinion. i like my things so far.

ryan.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:42 AM

a agree i like the 2.4 engine now its beautiful lots of potential sounds great the way it is i can hear a slight whine from the cams well not a whine hard to describe but it sounds nice with intake and exhaust and the bigger of the three ecos.

yeah i want to get the turbo to fix my afrs and just overall make it a nice project but need a job they let me go but i have to wait till after my surgery but no biggie. its just interesting i know you know lots about turbos i read all your posts on them and everything i mean you post about everything and its very reliable info and accurate so your a good guy. ive given you as much rep allowed for now lol.

ryan. all im good at is helping people with there visual mods and ideas for making things im good at custom jobs like my coil pack cover made that in a day.
Thank you. I would suggest reading the Turbo FAQ (speaking of which, I need to update it sometime...)

The turbocharger won't really fix your a/f ratios, it will change it because you're changing the amount of air entering your combustion but that's another topic in itself.

But you're welcome.

Originally Posted by elecblue06
and njhk wins again for informative post of the thread.. I gotta stop doubting myself/being lazy and just posting what i'm gonna say.. however I still think you got into it further then i would've thought of. haha

i'd give you rep if i still didn't need t opred it around.. i dunno how i need to still though adam
Thanks.

He's just lucky I'm bored at work lol

Last edited by NJHK; 07-21-2007 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-21-2007, 01:43 AM
Banned

Thank you. I would suggest reading the Turbo FAQ (speaking of which, I need to update it sometime...)

The turbocharger won't really fix your a/f ratios, it will change it because you're changing the amount of air entering your combustion but that's another topic in itself.

But you're welcome.
i know i was saying that when or if i get turbo i would have to get new injectors anyways and that the afrs would be fixed yeah i know and maybe i would get better milage then i do now cuz its still kinda screwy.

ryan.

Quick Reply: Nitrous 2.4