2.4L LE5 Performance Tech 16 valve 171 hp EcoTec with 163 lb-ft of torque

right size injectors

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 03:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
right size injectors

hey iw as wondering what the best size injectors would be for my mods i dont have much air box mod, flowmaster, and B&M shiftplus i plan on gettin the ZZP midlength header and downpipe combo. i didnt wana get some injectors that wouldnt be right.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:50 AM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
::puts on flame suit:: you do not need new injectors for those mods... I say that b/c unless you get someone to tune you & your injector duty cycle is above 85% its not worth it.

I have 2 recomendations for when you order your zzp header/dp, First let me say its going to be LOUD. Even the 2.5 w/ cat is really loud.

1.) Make sure you order gaskets, it probably wont come with any.
2.) Get a cat.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:53 AM

i planed on gettin a highflow cat and ordering new gaskets. and y dont i need some injectors iv heard alota people use the stock ss/sc ones.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:56 AM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 06sscobalt
i planed on gettin a highflow cat and ordering new gaskets. and y dont i need some injectors iv heard alota people use the stock ss/sc ones.
b/c for some reason ppl on this board think that dumping more fuel faster is the solution for all the worlds problems. You need to have your car tuned first, then you will be able to decide if your IDC is high enough that would require an injector swap.

I mention the gaskets b/c i assumed that the combo came with them, well it doesnt
Old 10-03-2007, 04:11 AM

ooo ok thanks man do u recomend a tune after the header dp combo?

and i didnt know it didnt come with them i assumed it did as well
Old 10-03-2007, 04:25 AM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

Yeah, i assumed too, and was sadly mistaken, also watch out for your 2nd o2 sensor (after the cat), after the install mine would vibrate against the body. You may see if they have an o2 extention for the header sensor, it comes with one for the cat sensor but not the header, reason i say that is i had to really strech mine to get it in...

But with the airbox mod, header/dp, & flowmaster your engine is moving alot more air then before, so you can really benefit from a tune
Old 10-03-2007, 09:26 AM

i wud recommend the stock ss/sc inj. with those mods it would help. when i first logged my car with hptuners we really could not do much fuel tuning due to the stock inj. were maxed out, typically gm. so the stock ss.sc ones will be fine. once i go turbo/sc then i need to bump up to 42lb from what I here..but thats not for awhile. There are several tuning options out..u have Westers Tune, Vector Tune, Hptuners, and always could do a dyno tune..I think those are all of them..but right now I'm using Hptuners due to that I have the control on the tuning with the other you really don't. if you have any other questions u can post here or pm me
Old 10-03-2007, 10:22 AM

umm yeh you would need to get a dynoed tune or a hptuners tune but just throwing them in your car would not be the best for it/ nor would getting them with a boxed tune because the tune wouldnt acually have them accounted for/ Also if you have full bolt ons (intake/fullexhuast/all that ish) and where going to get it tuned Id say you mine as well get the cavi injector harness and throw the ss/sc injectors in
Old 10-03-2007, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by iLLmaTic3s
i wud recommend the stock ss/sc inj. with those mods it would help. when i first logged my car with hptuners we really could not do much fuel tuning due to the stock inj. were maxed out, typically gm. so the stock ss.sc ones will be fine. once i go turbo/sc then i need to bump up to 42lb from what I here..but thats not for awhile. There are several tuning options out..u have Westers Tune, Vector Tune, Hptuners, and always could do a dyno tune..I think those are all of them..but right now I'm using Hptuners due to that I have the control on the tuning with the other you really don't. if you have any other questions u can post here or pm me
I agree with this to a point, yes before a tune and with those mods your injectors are maxed out going over 100% IDC's, but if you are getting a tune and account for a few things they come down rather nicely. My mods are in my sig and I have tuned my car aswell and my IDC's are only at 79% which is fine for them. The promblem is the stock tune from GM is stupid rich I loged my car commanding a 9.7 AFR once due to the COT fuel adder on top of the PE.

here is a screen shot as you can see the stock 24 #'s are just fine for basic bolt on's after a good tune.
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o...earpulllog.jpg

Last edited by REDFOCZ; 10-04-2007 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by REDFOCZ
I agree with this to a point, yes before a tune and with those mods your injectors are maxed out going over 100% IDC's, but if you are getting a tune and account for a few things they come down rather nicely. My mods are in my sig and I have tuned my car aswell and my IDC's are only at 79% which is fine for them. The promblem is the stock tune from GM is stupid rich I loged my car commanding a 9.7 AFR once due to the COT fuel adder on top of the PE.

here is a screen shot as you can see the stock 24 #'s are just fine for basic bolt on's after a good tune.
Wow...

People swapping those injectors out is just retarded if it's only 78 duty cycle...
Old 10-03-2007, 04:07 PM

yes maybe swapping them is not needed..but it will help in time..i have them in due to when i go f/i. yes maybe they dont..but having them is freeing up some room to play with. when we ran some tunes on my car car wud not like the tune on the stock injectors. i mean all cars are different. u can do a simliar tune on redforz car and it mite be totally different on a cobalt or even another ion. its all bout experimenting..thats y i asked him for some help...well like i said..yes it will help for a my f/i when i have that setup..but do u really need it on basic mods..its a toss up...also depends on how good the tune is
Old 10-03-2007, 04:09 PM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by NJHK
Wow...

People swapping those injectors out is just retarded if it's only 78 duty cycle...
thank you...
Old 10-03-2007, 05:08 PM

Would it make a difference if you redline at 7100 RPMs?
Old 10-03-2007, 06:43 PM

The car makes no more power after 6700 on my car, I have no reason to shift that high. I will go through some of my logs and look later on tonight.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:53 PM

would getting a vector tune help with making the engine run less rich and therefore lowering the injector duty cycle?
Old 10-03-2007, 07:56 PM

Depends on what they have done in the tune. But yes it could help lower your IDC's.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:59 PM

No injectors yet. If your gonna lower the pulley size then your gonna need some more fuel. (and a tune) When you get the ZZP header and DP, dont use the provided bolts. Mine broke the first day. Other than that awesome quality and performance.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tlax23
No injectors yet. If your gonna lower the pulley size then your gonna need some more fuel. (and a tune) When you get the ZZP header and DP, dont use the provided bolts. Mine broke the first day. Other than that awesome quality and performance.
Umm...this is the 2.4 section...
Old 10-04-2007, 12:36 AM

but I dont think red force even has the other injectors with a tune Dunno ive herd some pople say tune it with out them and then some say if your gonna tune get them swapped
Old 10-04-2007, 12:51 AM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

ok..

Step 1.) Get car tuned
Step 2.) Look at the Injector Duty Cycle after tune
- If the IDC is maxing out swap injectors
- If the IDC is not maxing out do not swap injectors

You cannot judge weather you need the 32# injectors until after you have been tuned b/c your IDC can change with a tune.

If after tune you still need to swap injectors b/c of the IDC you have to use the injector harness from the last generation Cavi (03-05), the injector harness for the ss/sc will not work...
Old 10-04-2007, 10:38 AM

It's pretty simple to bring down the IDC's on the 2.4, here is the jist of it right here.
Originally Posted by REDFOCZ
DISCLAIMER - I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CHANGES YOU MAKE TO YOUR CAR. Do at your own risk!

All right guys, seeing as how a lot of the 2.4's are getting tuned. I though that I would put this up. This is the very first thing that you should do to bring down the IDC's. Remember that even stock I have logged my IDC's getting as high as 98%. Now with bolt on's it is well over 100% which mean the injectors might go static.

These first steps were told to me from (BennyHHR) on the HPT forum.

In the HPT Editor:

Engine, Fuel Control, Power Enrich and change the

Following settings:

Delay RPM: set to 2000

EQ Ratio vs. RPM: set the whole table to 1.140 which equals’ a 12.9 AFR.

Enrichment Rate: set to 1.0

Piston Protection: set Enable RPM to 7500

Then, under the COT, Lean Cruise tab, Cat over Temp
Protection:

COT: set to disable

[img]

In doing this it should bring your IDC's down. Here is a screen shot of a log I have done, and you can see the results for you self 8)

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o...earpulllog.jpg

I will update the thread from time to time. When I get more info

Last edited by REDFOCZ; 10-04-2007 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:01 PM

the COT to disable..wut is that really doing?
Old 10-04-2007, 05:45 PM

The COT is a fuel adder, once the car reaches a certain temp it dumps more fuel to keep the cat cooler, in doing so it richens up the car causing the injectors to run at a higher IDC.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:51 PM

Maybe that could be a positive the bigger injectors? You dont have to disable COT and therefore keep your cat cool. Not at all saying one needs the injectors, just throwing some thoughts around
Old 10-04-2007, 05:58 PM

thats wut im thinking...cuz if u do that with ur stockers and some mods..u mite need to get bigger inj.

Quick Reply: right size injectors