2.4L LE5 Performance Tech 16 valve 171 hp EcoTec with 163 lb-ft of torque

SS 2.4L Engine Upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 11:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SS 2.4L Engine Upgrades?

Im sure its probabley on here somewhere but i dont have long to look so im hoping for some answers. I am currently looking for an intake headers and stage 3 EVERYTHING for my engine. I was gonna go ahead and buy a super charger but why waste the cash on 1 if i can boost the hell out of it, right Also if i can get some websites maybe on some Supercharges for the 2.4L Eco-tech, that would be awesome as well cause i might have it installed same time i buy my stage 3.

I just came back from PCB, went to Spring flint car show at brown park. And all i have to say is if this cobalt is really made to roast the STR-4's....i got alot of work to do...SO im gonna go ahead and do it right most SRT-4's there were pushing almost 400 HP by the way FYI...

and if anyone knows the cheapest place to buy the drifter and racing body kits for the SS coupe ID love to know. Thanks.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Squeeks
. I am currently looking for an intake headers and stage 3 EVERYTHING for my engine. I was gonna go ahead and buy a super charger but why waste the cash on 1 if i can boost the hell out of it, right

most SRT-4's there were pushing almost 400 HP by the way FYI...

I think you mean--...."if I can't boost the hell out of it

Whats a stage 3? And just a freindly heads up---its Ecotec (no H)

There are many CAI intakes on the market. Injen is probably the most popular. Others are Fujita, AEM and GMMP.

To get anyhwere near 400hp on a 2.4L will require alot of boost--and lower compression ratio. You'll need new pistons.

Maybe its jst me but the Cobalts just can't put out 400hp as easily as the SRT-4s
Old 03-12-2007, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by avro206
I think you mean--...."if I can't boost the hell out of it

Whats a stage 3? And just a freindly heads up---its Ecotec (no H)

There are many CAI intakes on the market. Injen is probably the most popular. Others are Fujita, AEM and GMMP.

To get anyhwere near 400hp on a 2.4L will require alot of boost--and lower compression ratio. You'll need new pistons.

Maybe its jst me but the Cobalts just can't put out 400hp as easily as the SRT-4s

Exactly, and if your worried about runing with srt's why waste money on a bodykit.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:16 AM
Banned

cause ive got alot of cash coming in thats why i was olooking at a body kit cause im interested. yes i also ment CANT btw. And yes Stage 3..dunno what the hell else to call it..i type faster that my fingers can correctly so excuse me on the typos:P Anyways if its not called stage 3 to you guys i dunno what to tell u except the best KIT you can get for ur engine as a set TO lower compression with pistons rods to hold so on so forth to be able to boost 15-18 PSI.

oh and BTW on the intakes what websites would u recommend?

Last edited by Squeeks; 03-12-2007 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-12-2007, 01:04 AM

do you know what ur talking about..how do you expect to make 15-18psi on an N/A car.
For the intakes you can go to Gravana(a supporting vendor) or just go to AEM and get one of their CAI's or Injen SRI/CAI.

for the engine you can replace ur pistons, which you dont need to do until you put a charger on it..you can change ur cams, HP tuners, grab an exhaust, headers downpipe. ported heads..Tons of stuff you can do but unfortunately we dont have a fully tested turbo or supercharger just yet
Old 03-12-2007, 01:15 AM
Banned

Sounds like somebody watched fast and the furious

Son you CANT use Stage 3 on your SS. You don't have the magical supercharger.

You can however add an intake, an exhaust (hearder, downpipe, catback) pistons, port and polish head, valves, valve springs, cams, etc etc.

You can if you want to spend 3000+++ boost your car, but chances of you making 400 whp are slim without upgrading cams, pistons, connecting rods etc etc

If you think you can boost your N/A car I suggest stay AWAY from modding
Old 03-12-2007, 01:26 AM
Banned

LOL you guys are no help and obviously dont know what YOUR talking about u can get 15psi off the 2.4 and i didnt say with it stock ST 3 on the other hand i wasnt SURE if it was out is ST 2 even out then? im looking for websites not knowledge i know what im talking about this ISNT my only car my built 91 turboed integra speaks for it self. AS for this engine ill get more updates on that soon but just so u guys know this little 2.4 can produce over 900 horses to the wheels money isnt my issue finding the stuff is. i work alot and dont have all the time in world to research for hours on end blah blah blah...what im saying is i want to get the BEST stuff for the 2.4 they have out and SC at same time BE4 putting the super charger on stock so i dont have a 2000 dollar super charger only boosting 3 psi...and as for the 900+ HP if you guys dont believe me i met a guy at spring fling with a car just like mine that had heard about it so i hope he reads this post cause i dont know his tag name yet. so you guys are NO help to me.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by My06Coby
Sounds like somebody watched fast and the furious

Son you CANT use Stage 3 on your SS. You don't have the magical supercharger.

You can however add an intake, an exhaust (hearder, downpipe, catback) pistons, port and polish head, valves, valve springs, cams, etc etc.

You can if you want to spend 3000+++ boost your car, but chances of you making 400 whp are slim without upgrading cams, pistons, connecting rods etc etc

If you think you can boost your N/A car I suggest stay AWAY from modding
I'm sorry but that statement seems kind of far fetched...

There are plenty of naturally aspirated vehicles stock that are boosted. If you're referring to his compression, it's not that big of a deal if you know what you're doing. You could always retard ignition timing or run rich and just keep a good eye on your EGTs to make sure you don't experience any problems.

Also, he wouldn't necessarily NEED headwork done if he isn't revving any higher than he is now and having Variable Valve Timing helps. You'd be suprised how well stock cylinder heads can flow without being a bottle neck. But this is all hypothetical as well...it all depends on the setup he chooses to run with.

I agree that Pistons and Rods would be something to look heavily into and while doing this, lowering the compression is typically suggested.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:30 AM

Since you posted in the 2.4 forum, we assume you really HAVE a 2.4 SS, and not the 2.0 SS Supercharged, or a 2.2. It DOES make a difference.

If you REALLY have $4000 cash, then for a supercharger go to:

http://www.speedmafia.com/index.htm

for a turbo, go to:

http://www.alpine-developments.us/

Both have existing kits for the 2.2, and 2.4 kits under development. Alpine will include the tune to make the kit work. The supercharger kit should be tunable with HPTune.

Also, Garrett sells all the parts to turbocharge, but you will have to find a GOOD shop to develop the tune.

If you want to sneak up on performance by buying parts a few hundred at a time, you will need:

Intake (I use the GMPP)
Header
Down pipe with free-flow cat
cat back exhaust (I like the magnaflow, but GMPP and others are good too)
cams
cam springs and retainers
HP Tune
SS/SC injectors
50-75 shot Nitrous system

If you have an automatic, probably before the Nitrous you need the B&M tranny box and a trans cooler.

Not much else to do naturally aspirated.

If you want Stage 3, you shoulda bought the SS/SC.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:33 AM
Banned

NJ yea thats what im looking for but can u get a set of engine upgrades instand of all indevidual is what ive been TRYING to ask be4 getting bombarded with stupid information...thats all im looking for is a website that actually has lots of 2.4 engine upgrades.

yea i have 2006 Cobalt SS/NA 5 speed 2.4 Sucks they dont spend more time on 2.4's cause end the end the 2.4 is WAY better than 2.0 ill look into the website u posted LewiSS thanks for the info.

Last edited by Squeeks; 03-12-2007 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-12-2007, 01:36 AM

NJ yea thats what im looking for but can u get a set of engine upgrades instand of all indevidual is what ive been TRYING to ask be4 getting bombarded with stupid information...thats all im looking for is a website that actually has lots of 2.4 engine upgrades.

yea i have 2006 Cobalt SS/NA 5 speed 2.4 Sucks they dont spend more time on 2.4's cause end the end the 2.4 is WAY better than 2.0 ill look into the website u posted LewiSS thanks for the info.
There is no 900 WHP, turn-key, bolt-on kit solution.

There is no 400 WHP, turn-key, bolt-on kit solution.

There is no turn-key, bolt-on kit solution for the 2.4 of any kind.

The only way to make power with the 2.4 is to know what you're doing (or hire a shop that does) and pick and choose from the aftermarket and build up a solution.

Sorry, but that's life with the 2.4 SS. If such existed, someone on this board would know, and one of the supporting advertisers would have it.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:36 AM

LOL you guys are no help and obviously dont know what YOUR talking about u can get 15psi off the 2.4 and i didnt say with it stock ST 3 on the other hand i wasnt SURE if it was out is ST 2 even out then? im looking for websites not knowledge i know what im talking about this ISNT my only car my built 91 turboed integra speaks for it self. AS for this engine ill get more updates on that soon but just so u guys know this little 2.4 can produce over 900 horses to the wheels money isnt my issue finding the stuff is. i work alot and dont have all the time in world to research for hours on end blah blah blah...what im saying is i want to get the BEST stuff for the 2.4 they have out and SC at same time BE4 putting the super charger on stock so i dont have a 2000 dollar super charger only boosting 3 psi...and as for the 900+ HP if you guys dont believe me i met a guy at spring fling with a car just like mine that had heard about it so i hope he reads this post cause i dont know his tag name yet. so you guys are NO help to me.
Well no offense, if you know so much about cars, why are you on here? I mean, you'd already know what to get...you'd just have to look for certain places selling items. From the way you're talking, turbo integra or not, you don't sound like you know exactly what you're doing.

Coming here and making claims of a car running 900 HP with the right amount of money is way to general. If you know what you're doing with any vehicle, you could do the same thing.

You saying "The engine can handle 15 PSI" also tells me how much you know about forced induction.

Talking about nothing but "Stages" tells me once again how much you know about forced inducation.

So you not wanting to take the time to learn anything just shows what your outcome will be on your vehicle. Regardless of how much money you have, you should still take the time to learn what you're doing. If you had that much money in the bank (shorty what you drank) you wouldn't be here asking us questions...you'd be at the shop waving your debit card and making them figure it out. Don't roll up in here acting like Mr Baller when you're just like every other young person with a car that they want to modify.

Sorry to sound mean but just being honest.

They weren't giving you stupid information, they were being honest. NO, there aren't full engine "kits" or whatever word you want to use for the 2.4. You'd have to do everything seperately.

Last edited by NJHK; 03-12-2007 at 01:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-12-2007, 01:43 AM
Banned

lol NJ honesty isnt a problem to me judge me if u wish but we will see bud good song btw:P but no i was saying the guys were no help by telling me what i needed upgraded..i know what i want done i dont know where to get it. thats the problem nad im not saying i have tons of cash to spending im just saying right now money is not my problem...i just didnt want to go buying indivual parts from all over if i could get a kit..thats all im looking 4 be4 this is blwon WAY out of proportion.

"Well no offense, if you know so much about cars, why are you on here? I mean, you'd already know what to get...you'd just have to look for certain places selling items. From the way you're talking, turbo integra or not, you don't sound like you know exactly what you're doing."

I am here to find the best deals because obviously 6 months ago when was about to last time i was on here there were 2.4 moded cars so i am seeing if thoes people could give me some info on hwere they got it.

Last edited by Squeeks; 03-12-2007 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-12-2007, 01:44 AM

lol NJ honesty isnt a problem to me judge me if u wish but we will see bud good song btw:P but no i was saying the guys were no help by telling me what i needed upgraded..i know what i want done i dont know where to get it. thats the problem nad im not saying i have tons of cash to spending im just saying right now money is not my problem...i just didnt want to go buying indivual parts from all over if i could get a kit..thats all im looking 4 be4 this is blwon WAY out of proportion.
No kits.

Click on Forum Jump.

Click on Supporting Vendors.

Go to each site in turn.

See what they have.

Plan your mods.

Send them money.

Install the parts.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:45 AM

I understand what you're saying but also understand how you were inferring things wasn't that way.

There are limited engine upgrades for the 2.4 engine...it just depends on what you want. I don't even know if there are piston upgrades as of yet.

The thing is that you SHOULD know what you're buying and why you're buying it. You should also understand the importance of fuel management and things of that nature. Research is always important especially with a new engine with the technology it has (referring to the Variable Valve Timing system).
Old 03-12-2007, 01:55 AM
Banned

ill check on that lewi i apperiate it.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:32 AM

Ok, you want 400whp? Get the Garrett 2.2 Turbo kit that can be found just about anywhere garrett turbos are sold. Then you would have to immediately replace the the turbocharger provided in the kit to a bigger one of your choice sinc i dont think that turbo can go above 350 hp. Then you will have to use a tuning program called hp tuners t tunes the engine and tranny if you have auto. Then, you will need to get lower compression pistons and stronger rods. Also, you will probably need new stronger axles with all that power and plenty of suspension mods to use the hp effectively. This is the best help i can give you other than telling you to research alot more before you post so you can see what im talking about. Yahoo search engine is an effective tool for me as well when looking for parts.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:42 AM

they do have stage kits coming out soon from GMPP for 2.4 and other stuff for 2.2 dont they?
Old 03-12-2007, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by roccobladr
they do have stage kits coming out soon from GMPP for 2.4 and other stuff for 2.2 dont they?
not really. they just keep telling us that for a long time as a tease.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:00 PM

there are no stage kits for the 2.2 or 2.4...this entire thread could have been avoided and all the judging going all if you (squeeks) just used the search button, in future unless you have a specific question try using the search button so you dont get bombarded with what you call usless information..just a heads up
Old 03-12-2007, 02:10 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
actually best thing for you is to check out the solstice forums for info since they run boosted 2.4s and yes they have already gotten 400 crank hp out of them with the hahn stage III or IV kit, maybe thats what he was refferencing (sp? lol).
but my advice to you on getting info from people.
1: learn proper grammer please... my head hurts from reading your posts
2: stop being arrogent when people try to help you
3: past/current cars other than cobalts are usually ignored (specially hondas/acura lol)
4: search function is your friend before you post if you don't feel like getting flamed.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:16 PM

Wasn't Tag racecraft working on a 2.4l turbo kit?
Old 03-12-2007, 02:25 PM
Banned

Im not really interested in a turbo. Im leaning more twords a SC for the 2.4. Just looking for better pistons, rods, cam at the moment.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:32 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
if you can't find anything... you could always contact any piston manufacturer and see if they'll make you a one off set..
btw I should have my complete s/c setup for sale shortly if your interested, also if you just pick up a ss/sc intake manifold you can pick up TAG's twin screw swap setup. that will be able to provide the power you want to make.

also I'm pretty sure the stock 2.4 rods and crank are forged stock, so only thing you really need to worry about is the pistons, and neutral balance shafts

Last edited by 06blackg85ss; 03-12-2007 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-12-2007, 03:02 PM

Weisco makes 8.8:1 compression forged pistons and eagle makes forged rods. I don't know for sure if they have them listed on their sites but call them up and i'm sure they can get them for you. The F23 axles are actually surprisingly strong and can hold some power, see the many boosted j-bodies since they use the same trans.

Quick Reply: SS 2.4L Engine Upgrades?