2010+ Future Cruze Discussions Discussions and information related to the upcoming 2010 Chevy Cruze

GM Shutting Down Production For Summer

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down GM Shutting Down Production For Summer

Hey guys, I just read this, what does this mean for Cruze production?

HTML Code:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/AP-SourcesGM-to-shut-many-US-apf-15004037.html?.v=2
Old 04-22-2009, 10:33 PM
Moderator Alumni
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
if you're asking about the Cruze. Moved.

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/announcement.php?f=68
Old 04-22-2009, 10:55 PM

everyone is cutting production. It almost seems like its a race to who will go under the fastest.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well it says they usually only shut down for 2 weeks when they gear up for a new year of production so I'm gonna say probably but 9 weeks is almost three months I don't think it takes that long for them to retool. Also it says they are shutting down several plants for this 9 week period.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:05 PM

I'm assuming production of the Cruze will go as planned and they're only closing plants that have a stockpile of vehicles already manufactured.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:30 PM
Premium Member

I would imagine that lordstown won't be affected as much as say, a trailblazer or tahoe plant would be.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:33 PM

This is in an effort to sell of the models that are just sitting there at lots. So the lets say the cruze or camaro for example the plants should just be right on schedule.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:42 AM

Or GM planning on going Bankrupt...

or maybe GM is just shutting down all together?
they are very close to going bankrupt...
Old 04-23-2009, 04:25 AM

well i dunno. From what i understand chapter 11 VOIDS ALL union contracts? Well hopefully it voids that ceos ******* retarded wage and he is back to making 20 $ too. BECAUSE HE IS A **** STICK TO LOSE 80 bil in 4 years.... WHERE WAS EVERYONE ELSE AS he was rubbing his dick in broken glass? Were they all along side joining in? Sure as **** seems like it.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by rukkee
I would imagine that lordstown won't be affected as much as say, a trailblazer or tahoe plant would be.
I hope not! Moraine, OH, that made the Trailblazer closed in December!

Seriously, though. I think you're right. It's unlikely to delay the Cruze. It's to adjust inventory to demand. GM has 1 to 3 year supplies of many of their vehicles right now!

I think you also have to take into account the fact that it hasn't been fully decided which brands are going to get the axe. This prevents GM for having to build a bunch of models for a lame duck division, too.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:47 AM

Can you imagine being in one of these unions? Still getting paid to sit at home for 9 weks.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by tiny
Can you imagine being in one of these unions? Still getting paid to sit at home for 9 weks.

Could you imagine being off for 9 weeks and NOT getting paid ? Now that would suck !!!
Old 04-26-2009, 07:08 PM
Banned

not cool gm
Old 04-26-2009, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by riko540
well it says they usually only shut down for 2 weeks when they gear up for a new year of production so I'm gonna say probably but 9 weeks is almost three months I don't think it takes that long for them to retool. Also it says they are shutting down several plants for this 9 week period.
I work for an automotive supplier that makes parts for GM,Chrysler,Ford and Toyota and depending on the new model going into production , it generally takes anywhere from 3-4 weeks and we have also had them down for as long as 4months.

Not GM related but the Chrysler pacifica stopped being produced over a year ago and there is still a year's worth of vehicles they are trying to sell.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:41 PM

does this mean that all of the 09 cobalts will be built before the plant closes?
Old 04-26-2009, 09:45 PM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
Apparently GM forgot the rule of "supply and demand"
Old 04-27-2009, 11:02 AM

It's official ... check here from the Associated Press:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...6pZ5wD97QQPTG0

Why the hell would GM shut down it's 3rd best selling bran behind chevy and GMC and still keep saturn and hummer? WTF, you wonder why they're in ****'s creek without a paddle
Old 04-27-2009, 11:46 AM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by wantedSS/TC
It's official ... check here from the Associated Press:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...6pZ5wD97QQPTG0

Why the hell would GM shut down it's 3rd best selling bran behind chevy and GMC and still keep saturn and hummer? WTF, you wonder why they're in ****'s creek without a paddle
Surplus. There is excess supply which does not meet the demand. Remember, you want to be at the "equilibrium" point on the S+D curve, or as close to it as possible. GM is not even close to that point... lol
Old 04-27-2009, 01:39 PM

not only are they shutting down production for now, gm just killed off pontiac :P
Old 04-27-2009, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Asstyme
Could you imagine being off for 9 weeks and NOT getting paid ? Now that would suck !!!
thats generally what happens when your company is going bankrupt, you lose your job and pay, and you live off of unemployment until you find another job. It is rediculous to expect gm to pay union workers when they are not working. I have always had a problem with unions, just because it violates the principles of the capitalist system. Wage should be decided by the free market, not by unions and contracts.

Originally Posted by chris88z24
Surplus. There is excess supply which does not meet the demand. Remember, you want to be at the "equilibrium" point on the S+D curve, or as close to it as possible. GM is not even close to that point... lol
QFT, at the current vehicle prices, the quantity of gm products demanded is much lower the the current supply, so basically they have to ruduce prices in order to increase Qd and bring themselves closer to equilibrium quantity and price

Last edited by zay52790; 04-27-2009 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-27-2009, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by chris88z24
I comepletely understand that with me being in supply chain and development. Hummer, which is totally lagging, however, should have been the one shelved first. They had plans to nix it by March, but I'm still waiting on that one ... this shows me that GM is still running on the philosophy of high profit margins on the SUV's (not as much as they have been) - Pontiac has not ONE SUV (minus the Torrent)
Old 04-27-2009, 03:33 PM

[QUOTE=zay52790;3789856]thats generally what happens when your company is going bankrupt, you lose your job and pay, and you live off of unemployment until you find another job. It is rediculous to expect gm to pay union workers when they are not working. I have always had a problem with unions, just because it violates the principles of the capitalist system. Wage should be decided by the free market, not by unions and contracts.

You need a history lesson my friend
Old 04-28-2009, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Asstyme
You need a history lesson my friend
Actually he is right. The union, on paper, is a great idea. Huge benefits to the worker, guaranteed pay regaurdless of hours put in and more quota based, high pay for a job that shouldn't be that high (ie sweeping, mopping, etc) amongst other things as well. However, in reality it only drains the company that the union signs with. Notice all the foreign companies that are pretty much free of the union are doing perfectly fine...strange... They need to go bankrupt...void the union contracts...then rehire all the people that they NEED without union contracts and go from there. Union FTL. If these obserd Union contracts stay as they are...the company WILL die...maybe not this year..maybe not next year...but I wouldn't see GM staying alive beyond 2015 if the Union still has it by the *****.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetsandman
Actually he is right. The union, on paper, is a great idea. Huge benefits to the worker, guaranteed pay regaurdless of hours put in and more quota based, high pay for a job that shouldn't be that high (ie sweeping, mopping, etc) amongst other things as well. However, in reality it only drains the company that the union signs with. Notice all the foreign companies that are pretty much free of the union are doing perfectly fine...strange... They need to go bankrupt...void the union contracts...then rehire all the people that they NEED without union contracts and go from there. Union FTL. If these obserd Union contracts stay as they are...the company WILL die...maybe not this year..maybe not next year...but I wouldn't see GM staying alive beyond 2015 if the Union still has it by the *****.
truf! word to ya motha son!
Old 04-28-2009, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetsandman
QFT, my belief is that pay should always have been performance-based. If it was, I'd have my 40 hours a week. Because of the union, I actually SUFFER more with the union than otherwise. The schedulers have to give all of the useless kids above me their 40 hours before, even though they don't do half the work that I do. To top it all off, pay is based on scheduled hours, not worked hours, so if you call in sick you still have it count to your increase in pay. So all these slacker kids end up getting paid for doing next to nothing, and I get very little for a lot of work.

Which is funny. I'm 15th on the seniority list and maybe 2 or 3 of the people above me do the same or comparable amount of work. If they cut out half of those people, our company wouldn't have been in the situation that it's in (hiring freezes, schedule hour cutbacks, etc). Thanks to the union, the only way the poor workers can be fired is if they get "written up" for bad behavior (our union says 6 strikes are you're out) or injure a customer.

Unions are a ******* joke. If you disagree, then you're a slack-ass bitch who's worried about not getting paid for doing dick all.

Quick Reply: GM Shutting Down Production For Summer