2010+ Future Cruze Discussions Discussions and information related to the upcoming 2010 Chevy Cruze

Test Drive, 2012 Regal GS

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 11:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Test Drive, 2012 Regal GS

I test drove a Regal GS lastnight and I have to say its quite nice! Its no track car or autocrosser that I like from the cobalt but is smooth and quick! The inside of the car puts the cobalt to shame! Its so nice but it comes with a price, the one i tested had navi and sunroof so around 37k.

Is it worth 37k? Depends on what you want from a car, I liked it but I would rather have the cobalt with an LSD for what I do. I can live with the cobalts insides because its lighter but quite a bit then the GS. I was suprised at the size, or lack of size from the car, it looks massive in phots but it sits lower and looks wider than the cobalt.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:22 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
not worth it in any sense of the word considering a cts is in that price range
Old 12-29-2011, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aahhhh thats it!?!? lol

How did it feel?? How'd it corner yadayadayada
Old 12-29-2011, 11:38 AM

I like how its a surprise that a luxury cars interior is better than a cobalts. in any case if its what you like than if its 37k or not look into it some more to see if thats the right fit for you. there are plenty of makes n models to choose from now a days.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:46 AM

I was thinking about one for a daily driver. But I dunno. I can get it for significantly less, that's the only thing that drew me to look at it. I don't know. I have a LOT of car shopping left to do. Was hoping to have something by the end of this year, but gonna put things off till next year me thinks.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr.Balt407
I like how its a surprise that a luxury cars interior is better than a cobalts. in any case if its what you like than if its 37k or not look into it some more to see if thats the right fit for you. there are plenty of makes n models to choose from now a days.
agreed apples and oranges....I want an rs4 for a sports luxury ride and keeping my cobalt for daily shennigans but i do like how the new buicks look
Old 12-29-2011, 05:44 PM

My girlfriends old civic had a better interior than my Cobalt. LOL
Not nearly as stylish, but quality was far better and much quieter.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:25 AM

Hello all,

I know I've been impressed with the new Buick lineup, and saw that the Regal GS is estimated to go 0-60 in 6.7 seconds. Not too shabby. If I can answer any questions you may have about these vehicles, I will do my best!

Sarah
GM Customer Service
Old 12-30-2011, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dr.Balt407
never said i was suprised, i expected it from the new GM. I love all the new interiors they have done. Its an amazing car and in the twisties its amazingly fun. Still feel like it needs and LSD to pull it out of the corners better. Spoiled with one in the cobalt lol.

37k worth it for a nice DD with some *****. I would buy one today if i had the cash. For autocrossing, to heavy but im sure would be an ok now and then track car.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:33 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Kahless
Yeah, cuz Id much rather have the heavier car with 70lbs less torque, that handled worse, stopped longer, got worse fuel economy,had ghey wheels, lame seats, lame headlights, lower level stereo, and was the same size. Yeah the CTS is the clear choice.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:41 PM
Former Vendor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
I drove a Regal GS today. Nice car.Too much bling, but debaging would take care of that. The big honking Buick logo on the steering wheel is fail.

turbo comes base at 220, 18 inch wheels GS at 270, 19inch wheels, a real ecotec and the GS has some real mang Brembo brakes , and NO they wont fit a Cobalt without some serious surgery for new rotors and offsets.

The steering is very good, surprising really, I think hydraulic ps is now refined and much lighter than the electric columns we have been dealing with.

But the name! Regal. Ugh.

Buick. O ya.

_+ 7 k for the GS over the base turbo makes it a very expensive car... thats a shame.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:49 PM

John you need to harvest those hiper struts and give them to us, tuned TC guys could certainly use them
Old 12-31-2011, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Powell Race Parts
I drove a Regal GS today. Nice car.Too much bling, but debaging would take care of that. The big honking Buick logo on the steering wheel is fail.

turbo comes base at 220, 18 inch wheels GS at 270, 19inch wheels, a real ecotec and the GS has some real mang Brembo brakes , and NO they wont fit a Cobalt without some serious surgery for new rotors and offsets.

The steering is very good, surprising really, I think hydraulic ps is now refined and much lighter than the electric columns we have been dealing with.

But the name! Regal. Ugh.

Buick. O ya.

_+ 7 k for the GS over the base turbo makes it a very expensive car... thats a shame.
Bling yes but it is a Buick and that can be fixed lik you said lol.

It's subtle in its looks besides the chrome. One thing I didn't like was a lack of engine noise. I know because its a Buick it needs to fit some qualities but I wanna hear exhausted,I wana hear the engine. I expect that out of a sporty car . Still love it though lol.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Though about one of these when I first heard about them, but as usual GM ruiend it(dropped the Insignia OPC Recarro seats for the typical Buick comfort over performance garbage) and underpowered it (dropping the turbo V6 for the turbo 4) before brining it to the US shores. If it was a copy of the Insignia OPC, I'd seriously consider one. $37k for a car that may be fanicer but not quicker, fk that
Old 01-02-2012, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by 05RLS2
Though about one of these when I first heard about them, but as usual GM ruiend it(dropped the Insignia OPC Recarro seats for the typical Buick comfort over performance garbage) and underpowered it (dropping the turbo V6 for the turbo 4) before brining it to the US shores. If it was a copy of the Insignia OPC, I'd seriously consider one. $37k for a car that may be fanicer but not quicker, fk that

that and AWD
Old 01-04-2012, 09:03 PM
Fail Less.

Imo, not worth $37k. Get a regular turbo regal, tune it, and save $7k. Probly will be lighter and accelerate quicker too. 270 bhp isnt **** in a car that heavy anyways.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:07 PM
AWD > FWD

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kahless
Have you ever driven a cts, much less for long term? I drive them every day at work, and have driven them long term as well as a company car, and the base model Regal is every bit as nice as a CTS. They both drive about the same. I think the Regal has a slightly nicer interior. For the price of a CTS the GS is worth every penny. It's not intended to be fast, it's intended to compete with mid range Audis and such, which I think it does well.

It's still FWD isn't it?
Old 01-04-2012, 10:20 PM

i drove a cts from temple tx to moab utah before wrecking it into a deer at 4am, drove it regularly before then too. wasnt road weary, was still getting 24mpg while hammering it and averaging 70mph+ over the length of the trip. that was the first gen. i drive a 2008 cts4 pretty frequently and i dont like it as much because of the added weight, but i still outran a 330i through some cones that happened to be set up in a construction zone.

buick better be damn well put together to come out on top. if i drive one and its better ill retract my statement. til then i love the cts.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CTS is a good car.....no doubt about that, I personally like them alot. The GS just blows away a comparably priced CTS in every way though IMO. Even moreso now that you cant get a manual trans, anything bigger than 17" wheels and HIDs on the same car. Youre spending $43k to get good lights and 19" wheels(a no cost option at this price), but you cant have stick. So if you want stick shift youre stuck dropping another $3000 on decent wheels and tires and $1500+ on a set of quality retrofits. So your value priced $37k CTS now sits well over $41,000, whereas a maxed out GS is "only" $38,900. With my money Id take the GS over the CTS everyday of the week.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Maven
Yeah, cuz Id much rather have the heavier car with 70lbs less torque, that handled worse, stopped longer, got worse fuel economy,had ghey wheels, lame seats, lame headlights, lower level stereo, and was the same size. Yeah the CTS is the clear choice.

Originally Posted by Maven
CTS is a good car.....no doubt about that, I personally like them alot. The GS just blows away a comparably priced CTS in every way though IMO. Even moreso now that you cant get a manual trans, anything bigger than 17" wheels and HIDs on the same car. Youre spending $43k to get good lights and 19" wheels(a no cost option at this price), but you cant have stick. So if you want stick shift youre stuck dropping another $3000 on decent wheels and tires and $1500+ on a set of quality retrofits. So your value priced $37k CTS now sits well over $41,000, whereas a maxed out GS is "only" $38,900. With my money Id take the GS over the CTS everyday of the week.

Couldn't agree more.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:47 PM

I'm digging this up anyway. I can get a loaded Sonata Turbo Limited for the same price as a base 2.4 Regal which starts at $27k. Better yet a Mustang 5.0 for less then the Regal GS. The Regal's a fine car but only if you like expensive bling. I was givin a Regal 2.4 CXL rental when my Balt's in the shop and rides pretty nice.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:09 PM

Nobody is going to cross shop a mustang and a buick regardless of a similar price.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:03 PM

They're overpriced and under tuned. Look at the Regal they sell across seas, I think it's sitting around like 340 hp and scoots. They under tuned the american version to pass emission standards..
Old 04-30-2012, 02:58 PM

Are you talking about the 2.8 turbo v6 awd opel? You want to make the car even expensive and heavier? Then is competes against even better cars.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:34 PM
Fail Less.

Originally Posted by TommyP
Have you ever driven a cts, much less for long term? I drive them every day at work, and have driven them long term as well as a company car, and the base model Regal is every bit as nice as a CTS. They both drive about the same. I think the Regal has a slightly nicer interior. For the price of a CTS the GS is worth every penny. It's not intended to be fast, it's intended to compete with mid range Audis and such, which I think it does well.

It's still FWD isn't it?
Yes, the GS is still FWD.

Quick Reply: Test Drive, 2012 Regal GS