ADVANCED Performance Modifications For advanced modification topics only.

All Wheel Drive?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 01:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Whatre you laughing at Grimace?

This is why I am not going AWD on my Cobalt.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Maven
Whatre you laughing at Grimace?

This is why I am not going AWD on my Cobalt.
Pfft, be easier to run a second engine in the trunk.

But as said before, twin engined things tend to catch fire and cause all kinds of 'killing the operator' problems.

Pass
Old 06-21-2009, 03:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Never said it'd be easy did I? Thats also the reason I never did it with mine. Well that and the fact that it'd a monumental waste of time and money.

I coulda sworn the 5 spd manual's passenger side extension did come off. Its been a few years since I had a GM parts computer in front of me tho so its quite possible I'm totaly wrong and thinking of something else. Same in the way I could have sworn the rear subframe assemble of the Montana mini-van unbolts as a unit, but as I said its been a few years.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by domin8_gt
please refrain from making left or right hand turns once this kit is installed. LOL
Old 06-21-2009, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jackalope
Never said it'd be easy did I? Thats also the reason I never did it with mine. Well that and the fact that it'd a monumental waste of time and money.

I coulda sworn the 5 spd manual's passenger side extension did come off. Its been a few years since I had a GM parts computer in front of me tho so its quite possible I'm totaly wrong and thinking of something else. Same in the way I could have sworn the rear subframe assemble of the Montana mini-van unbolts as a unit, but as I said its been a few years.

There is no passenger side extension housing on a Cobalt manual transmission.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:08 PM

There is no passenger side extension housing on a Cobalt manual transmission.
Hmmmmm.....wonder WTF I'm thinking about then?
Old 06-21-2009, 10:40 PM

It would probably be easier to put another LNF in the rear

Old 06-22-2009, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by Nighthawk243
Don't forget the blinker fluid sale on that site too.

I already got the wiperblade sharpener and brass *****. The blinker fluid was probably next.

Anyways, enough threadjacking.

Intermediate shaft.

Last edited by domin8_gt; 06-22-2009 at 01:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-22-2009, 05:52 PM

I have no clue
Old 06-22-2009, 07:45 PM

I have no clue
Apparently neither do I. *scratches head*
Old 06-29-2009, 06:25 AM

Using a Toyota Celica All-trak transmission and driveline requires only finding a clutch disk with the correct spline count, a pilot bushing with the correct OD and ID, a 3/8" thick adapter plate to adapt the transmission to the engine, a custom transmission mount, hybrid toyota/gm axleshafts

and then the hassle of mounting the rear suspension and making room for the driveshaft

Oh yeah don't forget the electrical work to make the ABS and speedometer work

Of course if you find a JDM All-trak Celica donor car, you might as well keep the Toyota engine too, its faster
Old 07-07-2009, 01:25 PM

...and in the end you have a heavier, less reliable car that pontentially handles like total ass...
Old 07-07-2009, 01:38 PM

Simple solution........ Go buy a WRX, remove all Subaru and WRX stuff, Put some cobalt **** on there and BAM!

Old 07-07-2009, 02:14 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
its possible, a MS3 was converted to awd using some cx7 and ms6 parts. Had to relocate the gas tank and all that crap back there and remake the floor. But youd want a beefier engine to make power to get it going as fast as a fwd one would be. But yes you'd sacrifice on weight and changing the dynamics of the car developed fwd. It would be very sweet to see it though...
Old 08-08-2009, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Nighthawk243
Don't forget the blinker fluid sale on that site too.
Originally Posted by domin8_gt
LMFAO!!!! It says please refrain from making right or left turns after installing this product!!! Awesomeness! I'm buying it now.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:31 PM

Just say screw it. find a wrecked STi, and drop the engine/tranny in.

Not only would your cobalt be AWD...it'd sound bitchin too!

Originally Posted by bluebalt82
LMFAO!!!! It says please refrain from making right or left turns after installing this product!!! Awesomeness! I'm buying it now.
Dont forget the flux capacitor.

I bought one and am limited to .0001 1/4 miles. I'm limited by aerodynamics.

Last edited by Turbo06Sedan; 08-18-2009 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-21-2010, 07:38 PM

couldn't you just swap the bodies of the cobalt and sti
Old 04-21-2010, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by HamblyN
couldn't you just swap the bodies of the cobalt and sti
the long awaited answer is finally here
Old 04-21-2010, 08:04 PM

Couldn't you just buy an AWD car to begin with...seriously guys if you want AWD then you gotta pay for AWD. AWD vehicles cost more for a reason and there is more drive train loss and relativley poor gass milage....so buy a subaru if you want awd, if you want fwd buy a cobalt.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:05 PM

why dont you just buy an STI...
Old 04-22-2010, 09:52 PM

I think you guys are over thinking the whole problem. Take the Montana trans and make a trans adapter to fit the cobalt engine. Is very simple to do if you have a plasma torch or jigsaw and a drill press. I agree that you'd need to massage the floorpan for a driveshaft but you can also massage the floorpan to get the exhaust to fit better. Building a 4link suspension isn't extremely difficult, offroad enthusiasts built them all of the time. once the engine is mounted in place, you'll be able to see what clearance you have over the steering. From what I've seen, you may be able to move the rack & pinion setup upwards to create clearance. I've customized offroad 4wd vehicles quite a bit so in my mind conversion isn't that difficult. I realize not everyone has the tools or knowledge to do this type of mod, This is just my $.02. In all honesty this may be more work than most folks are willing to do. But thenI'm crazy enough to try it.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by fishnjeeps
I think you guys are over thinking the whole problem. Take the Montana trans and make a trans adapter to fit the cobalt engine. Is very simple to do if you have a plasma torch or jigsaw and a drill press. I agree that you'd need to massage the floorpan for a driveshaft but you can also massage the floorpan to get the exhaust to fit better. Building a 4link suspension isn't extremely difficult, offroad enthusiasts built them all of the time. once the engine is mounted in place, you'll be able to see what clearance you have over the steering. From what I've seen, you may be able to move the rack & pinion setup upwards to create clearance. I've customized offroad 4wd vehicles quite a bit so in my mind conversion isn't that difficult. I realize not everyone has the tools or knowledge to do this type of mod, This is just my $.02. In all honesty this may be more work than most folks are willing to do. But thenI'm crazy enough to try it.
Off road applications are very different than a track performance application. Most importantly, there is much more room to work with in an off-road application. You also will have to custom make some rear axles because there is no car on this platform with AWD (as far as I know), custom make the driveshaft, etc. There's a lot o work involved and if you're asking how to do it on a forum, you aren't capable... referring to the OP.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by cakeeater
Off road applications are very different than a track performance application. Most importantly, there is much more room to work with in an off-road application. You also will have to custom make some rear axles because there is no car on this platform with AWD (as far as I know), custom make the driveshaft, etc. There's a lot o work involved and if you're asking how to do it on a forum, you aren't capable... referring to the OP.
Fair enough. As said, not everyone has the skills or tools to attempt this type of mod. However, if a Ford Festiva (which is close to half the wheelbase of a cobalt) can be modded with AWD, then a cobalt isn't a far stretch either. If the OP was to try this, just take your time and figure out one thing at a time. This type of thing will require you to go back and redo things a few times.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:57 PM

I've been doing some research on this subject and am beginning to think it's possible.
I am nearly 100% sure that I could convert a Malibu or G6 to AWD using the Saab XWD system (which would be COOL). The Epsilon platform was designed with AWD in mind (just use the Saab 9-3 parts).
I also believe after some research that the PTO (or transfer case) will bolt onto the MU3 manual transaxle from the SS supercharged. It basically would fit in the place where the intermediate drive shaft lives. So the LSJ powertrain could be used as a base in a Malibu AWD project for sure.

The trick is: is it possible to adapt the Cobalt's Delta platform for AWD? Here are the problems: (1) clearing the engine cradle, (2) accomodating the drive shaft and exhaust, (3) getting a fuel tank with room for a drive shaft, and (4) adapting the Epison rear suspension to work in a Delta.

Next steps: I want to find out if either the Epsilon engine cradle can bolt into a Cobalt, or if the Cobalt cradle can be modified (which would require cutting and welding).
I would probably need to get a custom exhaust fabricated to fit tightly to the bottom of the chassis near the drive shaft (provided the drive shaft would be positioned where the center tunnel is at all) and to run under the middle section of the rear suspension instead of running above it on one side as it does in the Cobalt.
The 9-3 has 3 fuel tank options: 1 for all 4 cyl models, and a FWD V6 fuel tank and AWD V6 fuel tank. If either the 4cyl fuel tank or AWD V6 fuel tank can be fitted into the Cobalt, the problem is solved.
Lastly, there has to be enough room for the independent rear suspension parts to be installed into the Cobalt.
If all these problems can be solved, then AWD can be done. I run my SS SC on a very technical road track, and the possibility of making it AWD is exceedingly tantalizing. If not, I'll just have to find a Malibu or G6 and make it AWD (which would be able to use known parts that work), but it is a couple hundred pounds heavier to begin with than the Cobalt.

Something to think about; enjoy!
Old 04-30-2011, 05:48 AM

Eclipse GSX
Talon TSI AWD
WRX
WRX STI
EVO 8, 9, 10
Celica All-Trac
3000gt VR4
Galant VR4
Legacy
hell any Subaru
Ford Fusion
Taurus SHO
G35X
Saab 9-3x

etc, etc, etc

buy one, call it done, or if you have an issue with a very technical road course and need some help with getting your time down, please spend more time on the track

l8r,
PD

Quick Reply: All Wheel Drive?