ADVANCED Performance Modifications For advanced modification topics only.

Debate - Why not to polish a head!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Debate - Why not to polish a head!

This is a carry over debate from another thread....

Why not to polish a head....

Air doesn't like to glide along a metal surface.... but flows along itself.... so a slight roughness holds a minimal pocket of air along it, allowing for less friction in the intake path.

Many people claim this is a false phenomenon.... however, it has been flow bench proven to affect flow.

Although usually non-credible, Wiki has a good explanation on the subject.

Originally Posted by Wiki
The "Porting and Polishing" Myth

It is popularly held that enlarging the ports to the maximum possible size and applying a mirror finish is what porting is. However that is not so. Some ports may be enlarged to their maximum possible size (in keeping with the highest level of aerodynamic efficiency) but those engines are highly developed very high speed units where the actual size of the ports has become a restriction. Often the size of the port is reduced to increase power. A mirror finish of the port does not provide the increase that intuition would suggest. In fact, within intake systems, the surface is usually deliberately textured to a degree of uniform roughness to encourage fuel deposited on the port walls to evaporate quickly. A rough surface on selected areas of the port may also alter flow by energizing the boundary layer, which can alter the flow path noticeably, possibly increasing flow. This is similar to what the dimples on a golf ball do. Flow bench testing shows that the difference between a mirror finished intake port and a rough textured port is typically less than 1%. The difference between a smooth to the touch port and an optically mirrored surface is not measurable by ordinary means. Exhaust ports may be smooth finished because of the dry gas flow and in the interest of minimizing exhaust by-product build-up. A 300 - 400 Grit finish followed by a light buff is generally accepted to be representative of a near optimal finish for exhaust gas ports.

The reason that polished ports are not advantageous from a flow standpoint is that at the interface between the metal wall and the air, the air speed is ZERO (see boundary layer and laminar flow). This is due to the wetting action of the air and indeed all fluids. The first layer of molecules adheres to the wall and does not move significantly. The rest of the flow field must shear past which develops a velocity profile (or gradient) across the duct. In order for surface roughness to impact flow appreciably, the high spots must be high enough to protrude into the faster moving air toward the center.
LINK

Discuss!
Old 10-27-2008, 10:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My opinion from the other thread.

I'm a little confused by your statements Omega. First off, I though ported head did give "insane" numbers. Or is Rebel Auto Worx an idiot company that should just quit.

Also, I thought you didn't polish the bottom side of the INTAKE ports on a head because it would effect the fuel spray from the injectors. At least that's what I was taught. I know tons of people that port and polish tb's, intake manifolds, and heads and air moves through all of that.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:16 PM

this is a very dumb post.

polishing increases CFM due to lack of "friction". True the first layer is "stuck" in place but that is a layer better used going along it's path. Saying friction doesnt expand oxygen atoms is silly and has been proven scientifically to "excite" atoms increasing "said" volume thus less oxygen to the chamber.

Take an airplane for instance... if this were to hold true we would have bumpy airplanes so that air could "glide" better on the surface. whoever made that wiki should be shot.

Please show me his post that the world is flat, and that we should prove it isnt?
Old 10-27-2008, 10:17 PM
Bannned

here we. nice little spin off from the other thread.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:21 PM

I got to say, phantom is making a good point that is hard not to follow.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by ralliartist
I got to say, phantom is making a good point that is hard not to follow.
ive followed some of your posts as well, and u have the right idea with cooling mods. Keep with it and show what "effeciency vs psi" can do. afterward, shove more air in to it.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:26 PM

I don't really see how the golf ball analogy applies either. Dimples on a golf boll are for consistent spin which affects distance..... from what i remember anyways.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by raptors_67
I don't really see how the golf ball analogy applies either. Dimples on a golf boll are for consistent spin which affects distance..... from what i remember anyways.
quite right, anyway i dont need to go more in depth in to this silliness.

Do whatever you want with your car.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:42 PM

I'm paying a professional to CNC mine when I get the money anyways, So I'm not worried about it. But this is still good info and a good thread for a discussion.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:13 PM

Okay lets go back to basics..

Talk to the professionals, these guys have porting down and even help you do it. READ their how-to
Basic Port job

smooth Intake ports to 80 grit, DO NOT POLISH. Why? because intake air needs to swirl, it helps cylinder filling, fuel atomization and which means better more efficient combustion.

More efficient combustion=more power

headwork is not only about getting more air into the combustion chambers, you can push all the air you want into the cylinder if the fuel molecules "fall" out of the air (think condensation) they will not burn as easily making less power than before, more carbon build up yadda yadda yadda..

LSJ rely on efficiencies... you get out the efficiency range on ANYTHING and your hurting more than helping. spinning a 2.8 pulley with a stock head/exhaust and intake manifold, yes will make more hp over stock, but at the cost of more heat and more fuel to keep combustion temps and ignition timing under control. harder on the injectors/pump
you start pushing anything to its limits and somethings got to give, there is a reason why so many of these cars blow up daily.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Ryze
Okay lets go back to basics..

Talk to the professionals, these guys have porting down and even help you do it. READ their how-to
Basic Port job

smooth Intake ports to 80 grit, DO NOT POLISH. Why? because intake air needs to swirl, it helps cylinder filling, fuel atomization and which means better more efficient combustion.

More efficient combustion=more power

headwork is not only about getting more air into the combustion chambers, you can push all the air you want into the cylinder if the fuel molecules "fall" out of the air (think condensation) they will not burn as easily making less power than before, more carbon build up yadda yadda yadda..

LSJ rely on efficiencies... you get out the efficiency range on ANYTHING and your hurting more than helping. spinning a 2.8 pulley with a stock head/exhaust and intake manifold, yes will make more hp over stock, but at the cost of more heat and more fuel to keep combustion temps and ignition timing under control. harder on the injectors/pump
you start pushing anything to its limits and somethings got to give, there is a reason why so many of these cars blow up daily.
would you like my HPT logs of the 3.0 vs 2.8? My IATs didnt increase 1 SINGLE DEGREE. SAME IAT1s (77) and at the end of 3rd same IAT2s (130)....

please fail elsewhere.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomSS
would you like my HPT logs of the 3.0 vs 2.8? My IATs didnt increase 1 SINGLE DEGREE. SAME IAT1s (77) and at the end of 3rd same IAT2s (130)....

please fail elsewhere.
Now that's new news to me, did you not do anything different? Just pulley swap?
Old 10-27-2008, 11:45 PM

Now that's new news to me, did you not do anything different? Just pulley swap?
ONLY pulley. i have to find my laptop and i assure u i will post them. U can see that my MAP reads differently due to the swap. It was ironic that the IAT1s were the same temp.

Exhaust has ALOT to do with it
Old 10-27-2008, 11:46 PM
Former Vendor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

please fail elsewhere.
Don't be so quick to cut someone down. A pulley drop from a 3.0 to 2.8 will raise iat2's.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:46 PM
Banned

That read-up up also doesn't point out the fact that "polishing" the intake side can be a bad thing because a finish to smooth can hinder fuel atomization.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:48 PM

ONLY pulley. i have to find my laptop and i assure u i will post them. U can see that my MAP reads differently due to the swap. It was ironic that the IAT1s were the same temp.
Ironic? ****, that's wierd. I know and have read/heard tons of people doing nothing else mod wise except but drom from 3.0 or 2.9 to 2.8 and have seen huge increase in temps.

Originally Posted by camarokiller
That read-up up also doesn't point out the fact that "polishing" the intake side can be a bad thing because a finish to smooth can hinder fuel atomization.
That's what I was taught!

Last edited by ralliartist; 10-27-2008 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-27-2008, 11:51 PM

this is 6 tenths of one half a dozen the other.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:51 PM
Banned

Ironic? ****, that's wierd. I know and have read/heard tons of people doing nothing else mod wise except but drom from 3.0 or 2.9 to 2.8 and have seen huge increase in temps.

That's what I was taught!

Same thing i was taught. Leave a 220-300 grit finish on the intake side and polish the exhaust side.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:57 PM

please fail elsewhere.

I never said anything about you or your car in that thread, everything I posted is facts

what your car did, doesn't really matter to me.. i don't see how I "failed"
Old 10-28-2008, 12:02 AM

Please show me his post that the world is flat, and that we should prove it isnt?
http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/

....you asked for it
Old 10-28-2008, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by OriGinaL Condo
omg if i had a medal...HOLY CRAP... LOLOLOLOLOLOL

WOW..............

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL you must be bored.

props and +1 invis rep
Old 10-28-2008, 10:06 AM

I figured this was how this thread would play out.

I love how people compare to airplane wings, but not to golf *****.

And airplane wing is a surface pressure differential, as opposed to a simple flow... it is affected by a different phenomenon called skin friction drag.
The reason we do not see dimples on other shapes, like wings, is that these particular forms of boundary layer trips only work well on a blunt body like a sphere or a cylinder. The most dominant form of drag on these kinds of shapes is caused by pressure, as we have seen throughout this discussion. More streamlined shapes like the airfoils used on wings are dominated by a different kind of drag called skin friction drag. These streamlined bodies, like that pictured above, have a teardrop shape that creates a much more gradual adverse pressure gradient. This less severe gradient promotes attached flow much further along the body that eliminates flow separation, or at least delays it until very near the trailing edge. The resulting wake is therefore very small and generates very little pressure drag.
Therefore that idea is out the window.

However... in some cases... we do see certain devices on airplanes which does take the 'dimple' principle into affect... look up 'votrex generators' or leading edge extensions.
Anyways... we're not talking about planes here though...

I won't bother wasting my time on the technical details behind it... but I dare any nay-sayers to go over to an SBC or Honda forum and tell them that polished ports are the ****... they'll laugh you out of there to fast.

And Ralli... no, I have not put my head on the car... but the flow bench test were promising.

Raptors... look at this link... the dimples in a golf ball are for distance, not spin.
http://www.howstuffworks.com/question37.htm

If you want to get deeper into the aerodynamics, there are two types of flow around an object: laminar and turbulent. Laminar flow has less drag, but it is also prone to a phenomenon called "separation." Once separation of a laminar boundary layer occurs, drag rises dramatically because of eddies that form in the gap. Turbulent flow has more drag initially but also better adhesion, and therefore is less prone to separation. Therefore, if the shape of an object is such that separation occurs easily, it is better to turbulate the boundary layer (at the slight cost of increased drag) in order to increase adhesion and reduce eddies (which means a significant reduction in drag). Dimples on golf ***** turbulate the boundary layer.

Last edited by Omega_5; 10-28-2008 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:08 AM

I hate to be lame and quote myself, but perhaps this was overlooked.

Anyway there is always a tradeoff.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Omega_5
I figured this was how this thread would play out.

I love how people compare to airplane wings, but not to golf *****.

And airplane wing is a surface pressure differential, as opposed to a simple flow... it is affected by a different phenomenon called skin friction drag.

Therefore that idea is out the window.

However... in some cases... we do see certain devices on airplanes which does take the 'dimple' principle into affect... look up 'votrex generators' or leading edge extensions.
Anyways... we're not talking about planes here though...

I won't bother wasting my time on the technical details behind it... but I dare any nay-sayers to go over to an SBC or Honda forum and tell them that polished ports are the ****... they'll laugh you out of there to fast.

And Ralli... no, I have not put my head on the car... but the flow bench test were promising.

Raptors... look at this link... the dimples in a golf ball are for distance, not spin.
http://www.howstuffworks.com/question37.htm

I thought i said they affected distance? And I know they affect spin and trajectory as I've seen tests done on different types of *****. Good read though!
Old 10-29-2008, 01:09 AM
Banned

Quick Reply: Debate - Why not to polish a head!