ADVANCED Performance Modifications For advanced modification topics only.

how to make steering rack and rear trans mount spacers for $6

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how to make steering rack and rear trans mount spacers for $6

this is a do at your own risk mod as is all my idea's are...

for a long time now i have been considering making my own spacer for the steering rack as well as for the rear trans mount, so i finally got a guy who does machine work and he needed me to work on his car. so he told me to "find out what works" before we machine something! well the best thing for temporary research was to use washers or some type of bushing... then i figured the washers will be easier to work with while fine tuning the size of the spacers...

so i went on over to lowes and bought a few different sizes and thickness of washers (hardened of coarse)

so this is what i came up with so far... i went with 7/16 flat "fender" washers for the steering, 4 on each side = approx 1/2 in slightly less.
then for the rear mount i used a combo of 3/8 in fender washers for the bottom were it goes against the sub frame, then just regular 3/8 in washers for a total of one fender and two reg's per bolt = approx 3/8 in tall.

then for the mount's i also had another idear for that one... im getting sick of all the vibes but need stronger than stock inserts so..... i decided to mod my poly ones while i was at it. i used a 3/8 in drill bit and drilled 4 holes in the poly across from eachother leaving room for more if needed or bigger holes.

why am i sharing this with all of you? well i just got back from the test drive and i just cannot get this grin off my face

im so impressed with the results it unbelivable... the holes made a big difference but i think i might try slightly larger holes maybe 7/16 cause with the a/c on at idle it still shakes just a bit but not with it off.... and for bump steer, what bump steer? lol its completely gone! it even eliminated my trq steer which used to be terrible, also the tilting/rotating of the rear mount i think made the biggest difference out of everything i can now launch the car at 3000 and above with the wot box on the street and it takes off so smooth now its crazy it just spins the tires with out a hop at all not one.

i even decided to go as far as to dump the clutch (which felt so silky smooth) which i could never do. before i had to ride it out or it would hop just a little bit, now nothing at all. so then im like well this is to good to be true so i stop and rev to 3500 and dump then lift then hammer it!!! this was always good for a bucking bronco before... now like butter just rolls the power in and out spinning not hopping

so how much did i pay for all this? $6

ok i know enough talking heres the pics... now i do warn that this is not the best route for the steering as it puts more stress on the bolt and a upgraded grade 5 or higher is recommended if you intended to leave it this way for good...

i will try less washer on the steering rack also. im gonna try 3 next... and maybe drill the holes bigger!

thread will be updated as testing is done, the end product will be aluminum one piece spacer's that will have recess for the steering rack locator's... and longer grade 8 bolts. pm me if interested in that...

Last edited by hungryhip-ccp; 04-20-2009 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't your poly mounts integrity now compromised?
Old 04-19-2009, 10:19 PM

well see, there only 50 bucks a set lol

seens how i was gonna throw em in the trash

i might as well experiment with em...

Last edited by hungryhip-ccp; 04-19-2009 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-19-2009, 10:29 PM

:nuts

I don't get why people complain about the vibes from the TTR stuff. Maybe i like my car to feel like a race car.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by TurboTechRacing
Nice how to, way to save a few hundred dollars.
thanks, i will have a permanent part made here in a week or so. but this is for guys who wanna try this out for $6 bucks its a neat experiment that netted me personally some great results!
Old 04-19-2009, 10:33 PM
Former Vendor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by mkriebs

I don't get why people complain about the vibes from the TTR stuff. Maybe i like my car to feel like a race car.
Some don't like vibs, which is fine, that is why GM designed the stock setup to be soft, as *most* car buyers dont care about performance...

Originally Posted by hungryhip-ccp
thanks, i will have a permanent part made here in a week or so. but this is for guys who wanna try this out for $6 bucks its a neat experiment that netted me personally some great results!
Should be able to have a local machine shop make everything you need (all 3 parts) for around $30-50 for a 1 part run off. Make 10 of each and the price will drop a lot.

Last edited by TurboTechRacing; 04-19-2009 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-19-2009, 10:40 PM

so out of curiousity what exactly is the purpose of you putting spacers in the steering?
Old 04-19-2009, 10:42 PM

if your lowered then you are now riding approx 1- 1 1/2 in lower than what it was designed for... causing minor bump steer, this eliminates it completely.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:42 PM

yeah thats good maybe aaron can sell them for you. you guys give ghetto a bad name
Old 04-19-2009, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by TurboTechRacing
Some don't like vibs, which is fine, that is why GM designed the stock setup to be soft, as *most* car buyers dont care about performance...

Should be able to have a local machine shop make everything you need (all 3 parts) for around $30-50 for a 1 part run off. Make 10 of each and the price will drop a lot.

pm replied
Old 04-19-2009, 10:45 PM

OTTP time attack rack spacers. $45. Easy to install, work wonders. Well worth the money. Also, much MUCH safer and stronger than washers.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by qwikredline
yeah thats good maybe aaron can sell them for you. you guys give ghetto a bad name
dont hate cause you will lose sales, this is cheap to make and should be sold cheap...

somtimes i feel like you guys give rip off a bad name... (my personel opinion)
Old 04-19-2009, 10:47 PM

Adding washers actually rotated the rearmount enough to eliminate wheel hop?

can you see a differince in the engine/trans/axel geometry?

cool stuff, way to be motivated, screw the haters.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by JimzSS
Adding washers actually rotated the rearmount enough to eliminate wheel hop?

can you see a differince in the engine/trans/axel geometry?

cool stuff, way to be motivated, screw the haters.
yeah im not sure yet if its more about the geometery or if it just kinda loads the mounts a little makin there no room for movement or rocking which contributes to wheel hop.

the ottp rotated mounts use it... its just one piece.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:53 PM

there should not be any issues with strength at all, but when were talking about somthing as important as steering its my best intentions to make all aware of the "possible" dangers...
Old 04-19-2009, 10:54 PM

dont hate cause you will lose sales, this is cheap to make and should be sold cheap...

somtimes i feel like you guys give rip off a bad name... (my personel opinion)
yeah this is not about hate. first you only did half the job and secondly you risk your life sticking washers under the steering rack. your choice. dangerous stuff like that is a liability, but then Aaron suggests a sticky. Should do that. do a sticky on mild steel sway bars as well. sad. good luck you will need it. and by the way you did none of the due diligence engineering. you talk about rip off?
Old 04-19-2009, 10:55 PM
Haz l33t wheelz.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah im not sure yet if its more about the geometery or if it just kinda loads the mounts a little makin there no room for movement or rocking which contributes to wheel hop.

the ottp rotated mounts use it... its just one piece.
the mounting point is not in the center of the mount, its more than just the spacer. I didn't engineer it, so i can't say more than that. Just fyi.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:55 PM

[QUOTE=hungryhip-ccp;3754931]dont hate cause you will lose sales, this is cheap to make and should be sold cheap...

QUOTE]
the people who would do this are not customers. thats the troof.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by qwikredline
yeah this is not about hate. first you only did half the job and secondly you risk your life sticking washers under the steering rack. your choice. dangerous stuff like that is a liability, but then Aaron suggests a sticky. Should do that. do a sticky on mild steel sway bars as well. sad. good luck you will need it. and by the way you did none of the due diligence engineering. you talk about rip off?
im not selling ****, so yeah... but um ok well how bout this we can bash eachother till our faces turn blue or,

we can let the rest of the hurting economy pick up on some cheap/free mods... if they choose i have many threads started about cheap mods thats kinda my thing im all about diy... im a mechanic i dont need someone to fix my car i can do it myself for cheaper... thats what this is about... it has nothing to do with you since your probably not like the rest of the hurting economy. you have money to waste...

Originally Posted by ls1fbody
the mounting point is not in the center of the mount, its more than just the spacer. I didn't engineer it, so i can't say more than that. Just fyi.
i'v seen em, im well aware of what it "looks like" but have you measured it to compare?

and like ttr said its all about what works

and fyi stage one is just a spacer for the rear

Last edited by hungryhip-ccp; 04-19-2009 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-19-2009, 11:12 PM

ya i'm lowered and all that good stuff and the only thing i've really truly noticed is that the steering has gone a little "loose" so to say almost understeering. if this would help that then i would be all for it. but i would spring for a one piece spacer rather then the washers but thats just me.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by outtamymind
ya i'm lowered and all that good stuff and the only thing i've really truly noticed is that the steering has gone a little "loose" so to say almost understeering. if this would help that then i would be all for it. but i would spring for a one piece spacer rather then the washers but thats just me.

me too. this is in the testing phase were i need to be able to slip in a 1/8 in at a time instead of paying to machine 5 different spacers
Old 04-19-2009, 11:17 PM

why all the bashing?

for peat's sake.

How old are we?

the only vendor I see in this thread is TTR.

me too. this is in the testing phase were i need to be able to slip in a 1/8 in at a time instead of paying to machine 5 different spacers
good point.

Last edited by JimzSS; 04-19-2009 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

ya. did you have the same issue with the steering going all weird on you. i had my steering column replaced recently for the stupid ass rattle. and i'll be getting an alignment this saturday to account for the 215/45zR17 tires i put on.

Originally Posted by mkriebs

x2
interesting thread. i love my new poly mounts but spacers!? new mod maybe?
Old 04-19-2009, 11:19 PM

my car just always had pretty bad bump steer i have the lower of lowering springs

Last edited by hungryhip-ccp; 04-19-2009 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quick Reply: how to make steering rack and rear trans mount spacers for $6