ADVANCED Performance Modifications For advanced modification topics only.

Intake System questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 01:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Intake System questions

I have a little Project on It's way.

I have a set of ITB(Individual Throttle Bodies) off of a GXSR 1000. I have the Machine shop at my work making me a Plate and runners to mount to the ITBs. But heres my question,what Sensors are involved in the intake aspect of the engine cycle. I know there is the MAP, Manifold Air Pressure, I believe thats what it stands for and the MAF, Mass Air Flow. How do these to interact and what, where do the measure?
Old 12-12-2007, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i dont see how this can be done on a street legal cobalt
Old 12-12-2007, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by celicacobalt
i dont see how this can be done on a street legal cobalt
Why not Honduhs do it all the Time.

It's stock for M5s of certain years.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:33 PM

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but are you putting individual TB's for all 4 cylinders?

Also, why would you do this?

what are you looking to gain out of this obviously complicated procedure?
Old 12-12-2007, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by LopsidedJester
I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but are you putting individual TB's for all 4 cylinders?

Also, why would you do this?

what are you looking to gain out of this obviously complicated procedure?
I've seen Built all motor k20's, pushing 300whp. I want all motor and with my other plans this with compliment it perfectly. And it's not that complicated. Each Cylinder will have it's own TB.
I know the ECU reads MAP and MAF, I'm trying to figure out how to make sure I'm still reading the same parameters.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:52 PM

a guy on the ecotecforums known as the squirrel was going to attempt this but decided not to. May want to get ahold of him as he had a lot of info on it.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:54 PM

The MAF signal is easy the TB's need to pull air from the same main pipe. Just install the MAF upstream and let it eat. For the MAP to work its got to have access to manifold pressure and unfortunately with 4 individual TB's the only thing I can think might work is use 4 separate sensors wired together to provide an average number for the computer.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i wouldnt even bother...stick to the 2.4 manifold, raise compression like a ****, raise your redline (stand alone?), and get new cams...you can reach about 250hp with this. if you still want more, THEN i'd go ITB, as ITBs are a difficult mod and shouldnt be the first mod in going NA. You'd also need to upgrade your valvetrain and get some neutral balance shafts in order to rev over 8kRPM

NA power on a 4 cyl is expensive...but if you really want to, just do as i said.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:34 AM

that would be an engineering marvel if could get to perform BETTER than a larger single tb. you would have tune the hell out of the pcm to make work efficiently with 4 tbs. i would rather make a custom intake manifold and bolt on a huge tb from a ls7 to get better performance. but if u really want to do it get ready to spend some cash. IMO it would be an exotic feature but not practical for performance for a cobalt.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by YellowLT

this is not a honda though. not worth it imo. boost is cheaper and faster. i dont know what all the hype of staying n/a is...
Old 12-13-2007, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by montecarloman
The MAF signal is easy the TB's need to pull air from the same main pipe. Just install the MAF upstream and let it eat. For the MAP to work its got to have access to manifold pressure and unfortunately with 4 individual TB's the only thing I can think might work is use 4 separate sensors wired together to provide an average number for the computer.
Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
i wouldnt even bother...stick to the 2.4 manifold, raise compression like a ****, raise your redline (stand alone?), and get new cams...you can reach about 250hp with this. if you still want more, THEN i'd go ITB, as ITBs are a difficult mod and shouldnt be the first mod in going NA. You'd also need to upgrade your valvetrain and get some neutral balance shafts in order to rev over 8kRPM

NA power on a 4 cyl is expensive...but if you really want to, just do as i said.
Originally Posted by TexasBowTie
that would be an engineering marvel if could get to perform BETTER than a larger single tb. you would have tune the hell out of the pcm to make work efficiently with 4 tbs. i would rather make a custom intake manifold and bolt on a huge tb from a ls7 to get better performance. but if u really want to do it get ready to spend some cash. IMO it would be an exotic feature but not practical for performance for a cobalt.
This IS the Last Part of the Puzzle for my Motor Build that I haven't figured out 100% I'm shooting for 10K. Larger Mainfolds and Large Single TBs, Kill the Low End on the Balt. That's Why I want the ITBs. ITB have always performed better than I Single TB. Every Cylinder get the same amount of air and the same pressure. On our cars, 2&3 get more air than 1&4. This isn't that big of a deal if I can get the sensors to read. I already have the servo wired and test to maintain the Drive by Wire. Last Info I need.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:29 AM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
for the map sensor, and other vacume uses, you need to conect a hose to each throttle body and run that to a small canister. the reason being is that with an itb setup you have very little vacume. that leads to the mext big problem, tuning. usualy an engine will idle at 20" vacume, typically an itb will have less than 5". being we do use a maf sensor, it releaves a bit of the tuning nightmare, however it still is very tough to get it tuned right.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by YellowLT

Yea and Honda's are like legos Don't ever think becuase something works on a Honda it will work on our cars we are a completely different breed
Old 12-14-2007, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Sharkey
for the map sensor, and other vacume uses, you need to conect a hose to each throttle body and run that to a small canister. the reason being is that with an itb setup you have very little vacume. that leads to the mext big problem, tuning. usualy an engine will idle at 20" vacume, typically an itb will have less than 5". being we do use a maf sensor, it releaves a bit of the tuning nightmare, however it still is very tough to get it tuned right.
you are 100 percent right it will be a tuning nightmare. the pcm would go nuts from the lack of vacume. i agree itb setup would gain low end power however IMO its not worth the time and money.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by TexasBowTie
you are 100 percent right it will be a tuning nightmare. the pcm would go nuts from the lack of vacume. i agree itb setup would gain low end power however IMO its not worth the time and money.
for sure