ADVANCED Performance Modifications For advanced modification topics only.

N/A Exahust Theory

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
N/A Exahust Theory

Cliffs: Does leaving the stock 2.25 axle back with an aftermarket muffler on an N/A motor provide better flow?

Well my friend has a 2.4 SS. The car is N/A with just the simple bolt ons and tuned . I've done a lot of reading into exhaust theory relating to flow volume, flow velocities, and back pressure.

He currently has an ARK N2 catback. Well the exhaust is nice, it is a louder exhaust and he's beginning to grow out of the loud obnoxious that this exhaust gives. After recently getting a ticket, we put his stock exhaust back, although we left the Vibrant long tube header on. Although he's happy with the car being quieter, the car is burning more fuel due to the tune being off because of the stock catback.

Now to my question. The exhaust is a 2.5 until the axle, then it goes to a 2.25 inch. As we all know, exhaust velocities slow down as they cool. So would not leaving the 2.25 section of exhaust help to increase the flow velocities again creating a better back pressure? If such is the case, the stock muffler is the biggest restriction in the exhaust, and not the axle back and the muffler.

Does this sound correct to anyone else or should he buy the OTT axle back?
Old 06-09-2009, 10:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by slowswap
Cliffs: Does leaving the stock 2.25 axle back with an aftermarket muffler on an N/A motor provide better flow?

Well my friend has a 2.4 SS. The car is N/A with just the simple bolt ons and tuned . I've done a lot of reading into exhaust theory relating to flow volume, flow velocities, and back pressure.

He currently has an ARK N2 catback. Well the exhaust is nice, it is a louder exhaust and he's beginning to grow out of the loud obnoxious that this exhaust gives. After recently getting a ticket, we put his stock exhaust back, although we left the Vibrant long tube header on. Although he's happy with the car being quieter, the car is burning more fuel due to the tune being off because of the stock catback.

Now to my question. The exhaust is a 2.5 until the axle, then it goes to a 2.25 inch. As we all know, exhaust velocities slow down as they cool. So would not leaving the 2.25 section of exhaust help to increase the flow velocities again creating a better back pressure? If such is the case, the stock muffler is the biggest restriction in the exhaust, and not the axle back and the muffler.

Does this sound correct to anyone else or should he buy the OTT axle back?
i think the diameters listed are only for the LSJ exhaust. I'm pretty sure the L61 and LE5 share an exhaust...which would mean its definitely not 2.5"
Old 06-10-2009, 02:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LE5 is same as LSJ exhaust.