ADVANCED Performance Modifications For advanced modification topics only.

new turbo..what do I need

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new turbo..what do I need

Ok, im getting ready to break down and do a turbo swap on my 09 ss. Iv looked at a few of the kits on zzp, mostly looking for direct bolt on in place of the stock turbo. But i've been seeing some crraaazy hp out of these kits, and im assuming eventually something is going to explode, or my motor will fall out, or something terrible. so in a nutshell, what needs to be done to keep this from happening? Ive seen sooo many different scenarios but not sure which ones are acutally safe in terms of lifespan of the motor. so other than clutch and new tires, what should be on my shopping list?
Old 10-26-2011, 03:28 PM

I guess I'm in the minority on this issue about horsepower, but how much do you "want" versus how much can you "use." My Hahn Cobalt has a fairly conservative 17 psi boost, giving me about 380 HP at the crank and 330 at the wheels. True, I'm a senior citizen, but this amount of power is all that I can handle or really see anyone else but a professional race car driver being able to handle safely on the street. At my power level, you hit 60 in a bit over 4 seconds, you're doing 80 and up while still in third gear, and the tires are doing their best to grip the road while you try to keep going in a straight line. No challenger so far has shut me down, not even the newer V8 musclecars. So, no putdown intended whatsoever, but 450, 500, 600 HP seems more like an ego thing to me than a meaningful driving experience. It's sort of like having a 50 caliber machine gun to protect hearth and home. But then again, I'm a geezer who spends as much time in the bathroom as the bedroom when I try to sleep, and maybe I'm all wet (no pun intended) on this issue. That said, I'll bet I could blow away a lot of the huge horsepower guys because my car is balanced enough, sane enough, to drive all out, pedal to the floor, speedshifting seemlessly through every gear. How in hell do you even launch, much less control, a fairly lightweight front-wheel drive car with all of this excess power, sufficient to lift off the space shuttle? As I've heard said, it's more fun to drive a slower car fast than a faster car slow.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Gonetoofar
As I've heard said, it's more fun to drive a slower car fast than a faster car slow.
that is sooooooo true