Appearance Body Kits, Hoods, Wheels, Spoilers, Interiors

3rd gen aiming help

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd gen aiming help

ive been trying to aim my 3rd gen headlights, at least i think they are, i got em off ebay, cuz im cheap and needed headlights in a quick jam, but nevertheless, i havent found any thread to help me aim them and ive been trying and my right light is waay low and my left one is waaay high, its bugging me cuz drivers on the road see the left one lite up and not the right one cuz its soooo low, any help would be greattt
Old 05-29-2010, 09:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are adjustment bolts on the back of each light, high and low. All four lights can be aimed independently from each other. Easiest way is to find a ratchet and a socket that fits them and do it by trial and error.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:30 PM

I don't have the link or the photo, but if you look at the back of the lights there are two adjusting screws for low beam. If you tighten them both the same the aim will go down. If you loosen both of them the same the aim will go up. let say that if you loosen the one on the right(looking from the backside) side the aim will go up and to the left, if you tighten the one on the right the aim will go down and to the right. So if you loosen the one on the left it will go up and to the right and tighten the one on the left will make it go down and to the left.
Get the idea ?
For the high beam its kinda the same except for three adjusters.
Just look at them and think what the adjustment will do by tightening and loosening.
Good Luck it takes a few attemps.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Cherry GT
I don't have the link or the photo, but if you look at the back of the lights there are two adjusting screws for low beam. If you tighten them both the same the aim will go down. If you loosen both of them the same the aim will go up. let say that if you loosen the one on the right(looking from the backside) side the aim will go up and to the left, if you tighten the one on the right the aim will go down and to the right. So if you loosen the one on the left it will go up and to the right and tighten the one on the left will make it go down and to the left.
Get the idea ?
Just look at them and think what the adjustment will do by tightening and loosening.
well hopefully ill try loosening them both and see if i can get the right one to come up, cuz i can tell that the cut off is way lower
Old 05-29-2010, 10:20 PM
AWD > FWD

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No, tighten them both to bring it up. Think of it as the bolts are pushing on the bottom of the projector as you loosen/tighten them. Tightening them pushes the bolts in which pushed the bottom of the projector up. Loosening them pulls the bolts out allowing the bottom of the projector to come down. Good luck with aiming them, I had them for a while, and they are a MAJOR pain in the ass.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Tommyp2010
No, tighten them both to bring it up. Think of it as the bolts are pushing on the bottom of the projector as you loosen/tighten them. Tightening them pushes the bolts in which pushed the bottom of the projector up. Loosening them pulls the bolts out allowing the bottom of the projector to come down. Good luck with aiming them, I had them for a while, and they are a MAJOR pain in the ass.

well ill try that, but they are both tight right now and it didnt move, im assuming i got the right bolts cuz they were both small silver screws and look like that was it to aim so
Old 01-07-2011, 08:23 PM

does anyone have a pic on where the adjusters are? Just got mine all done and wired
Old 01-07-2011, 08:42 PM

ok they are the silver hex bolts..are the low beams the bottom bolt or the one near the top of the light?
Old 01-07-2011, 08:48 PM
AWD > FWD

Originally Posted by winning_blue
ok they are the silver hex bolts..are the low beams the bottom bolt or the one near the top of the light?
the low beam is the two bolts on the bottom of either side of the projector. The aiming method has already been described in this thread.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:50 PM

wait there are 2 bolts on each light to adjust for low beam or did you mean 2 total? (1 on each light)
Old 01-07-2011, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by TommypSS/TC

Sorry Sir....
On third gens If you tighten the adjusting screw THE BEAM GOES DOWN, NOT UP.
because as you tighten the screw the projector is like a nut and moves closer to the
head of the screw which make the beam go down.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:52 PM

two adjusters on low beam
three on high beam
Old 01-07-2011, 08:58 PM
AWD > FWD

Sorry Sir....
On third gens If you tighten the adjusting screw THE BEAM GOES DOWN, NOT UP.
because as you tighten the screw the projector is like a nut and moves closer to the
head of the screw which make the beam go down.
ya I realized this a few weeks ago when I helped a friend of mine aim his 3rd gens. My bad.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:58 PM

Is there a picture online anywhere of these? I see 2 on my passenger light, 1 on my driver side. What the hell
Old 01-07-2011, 09:00 PM
AWD > FWD

Is there a picture online anywhere of these? I see 2 on my passenger light, 1 on my driver side. What the hell
Post pics of yours?
Old 01-07-2011, 10:14 PM

Yeah I took some of both sides but don't know how to get them on here from an iPhone..camera is missing. PM me your # for text or email address and I can.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:17 PM
AWD > FWD

Yeah I took some of both sides but don't know how to get them on here from an iPhone..camera is missing. PM me your # for text or email address and I can.
download the photobucket app, it's free. It'll be helpful in the future, I use it all the time for posting pics on here from my phone.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:35 PM

I did..created my account and uploaded the two pics. How does this transfer here ha
Old 01-07-2011, 10:38 PM

80b1f8ed-1.jpg picture by winning_blue - Photobucket

15eb129b.jpg picture by winning_blue - Photobucket

did this work?

it works for me..you can see two bolts in one photo, and only one in the other

Last edited by winning_blue; 01-07-2011 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-07-2011, 10:40 PM
Got Bewst?

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Yes tightening them makes the aim lower and loosening them makes the aim higher. I've spent tons of time aiming mine and others and heres what i have found. Adjusting the outer bolt (closer to the turn signal) will turn the projector more left to right then it will up and down. And adjusting the inner bolt adjusts more the up and down. It definatly takes practice but i can adjust gen headlights like nothing now haha.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:44 PM

is there a reason I have one bolt on the inside of one light, and two on the other light on the inside? this isn't that hard (doesn't seem to be) but annoying as hell
Old 01-07-2011, 10:45 PM
AWD > FWD

You wanna make sure when adjusting them that you move both bolts the same amount right or left when aiming up and down, and the same amount in opposite directions when adjusting left and right.

and Winning Blue, the photos worked fine. Unfortunatley with the 3rd gens, you HAVE to take the headlights out to aim them. Take them out, then you'll see the two bolts we're talking about. Should look like this

(Projector)
o(projector)o

ok I can't get the spacing right, but you get the idea.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:06 AM

I have an aiming question too: has anyone noticed that you get more than one "marker" depending on whereabouts the bulb is aimed?

My left bulb was originally pointed straight, but the marker was too far inside on the wall and I had a dark spot pointing straight ahead.
Now that I've turned the bulb outward (you can see in the daylight that it's pointing to the left), the marker is still to the right on a wall, but the light patterns on the pavement show the most amount of light heading off to the left side of the car.

.... the hell?!
Old 01-12-2011, 06:28 PM

can anyone specify which bolt does which action. o

o o

that's the setup for the passenger headlight..the "o's" being the bolts. Driver side is a mirror image..anyone know specifically which one does what?

o

o o

First setup didn't work

Last edited by winning_blue; 01-12-2011 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-12-2011, 07:52 PM

if you look at the back of the lights there are two adjusting screws for low beam. If you tighten them both the same the aim will go down. If you loosen both of them the same the aim will go up. let say that if you loosen the one on the right(looking from the backside) side the aim will go up and to the left, if you tighten the one on the right the aim will go down and to the right. So if you loosen the one on the left it will go up and to the right and tighten the one on the left will make it go down and to the left.
Get the idea ?

Quick Reply: 3rd gen aiming help