Appearance Body Kits, Hoods, Wheels, Spoilers, Interiors

Best Car Wax

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Car Wax

hey guys I have had my car for 4 months and havent waxed it.....thats a sin but anyways other than the turbo wax which I have heard is the best! What can u get at like a advanced auto parts of pep boys that is the best! maybe like a couple step wax or something ......any advice would be appreciated
Old 08-19-2006, 10:40 AM

wax

while it dosent give the deepest shine ive seen the new turtle wax ice is the best allaround product ive used.

when i take into account ease of use price time spent and enr result i think its the best overall.

it dosent give that great of a shine but it give a good lasting coat of protection and looks good.

i should also mention it removes minor scratch marks as well.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:42 AM

i use the wax it dry stuff that works GREAT ... i love the look after shes washed and waxed with the two different bottles ....

and if you want GREAT! interior protection get :

Old 08-19-2006, 10:45 AM

hmmm interesting...wax it dry stuff ill have to go look at a few options i used to think meguiar's was the best but i dunno....thanks guys
Old 08-19-2006, 10:47 AM

Turbo wax is great... but the best wax ever is Zainos, its 120&$ for the kit.. my friend who details car uses it and it iwll make ur car as smooth as a babys ass for like 3 months, its kinda hard to learn to use, but its amazeing

oh, meguires Nxt generation paste wax is good, u can get that at walmart or something

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...ct_Code=ZKIT-2
Old 08-19-2006, 11:01 AM
Site Founder

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TurboWax is by far the best wax system I have used
It makes your paint shinny and smooth. The pre wax cleaner is amazing and removes any residue of any kind so you can apply the wax on clean paint.

http://turbowax.com
I just love this stuff
Old 08-19-2006, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by pclear9061
i use the wax it dry stuff that works GREAT ... i love the look after shes washed and waxed with the two different bottles ....

doesnt that leave the dash really shiney?
Old 08-19-2006, 11:10 AM
Site Founder

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stay away from ArmorAll Dash products. It WILL crack your dash. Just do a google search and you will see 99% of the ppl say that.

Here is a thread on the vette forum:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=908852
Originally Posted by pclear9061

Old 08-19-2006, 11:10 AM

zainos is $120 for the kit? geez thats crazy
Old 08-19-2006, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by JonyyB
Stay away from ArmorAll Dash products. It WILL crack your dash. Just do a google search and you will see 99% of the ppl say that.

i find that hard to believe that this will crack the damn dash ... ive been useing (not this one inpaticualr) armorall ever since i got the car (over a year) and its been perfect .... **** just look :

before:

after:

and the dash after i got done with a nice thick coat to make sure it was ALLLLLL covered

Old 08-19-2006, 11:21 AM

I know you said besides Turbo Wax.....but there's nothing better than Turbo Wax IMO. I use-to use Armor All and Turtle Wax.....but I ditched both of them for Turbo Wax. There Customer Service, Price vs Quality, and selection is second to none
Old 08-19-2006, 11:26 AM

meguires 3 step wax worked real good with me. i was very happy with the final results.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:31 AM

i use turtle wax ice now, and it does last quite a while, but i wax my car pretty often at least once every 2 months if not more....i always like meguiars nxt tech wax too
Old 08-19-2006, 11:52 AM

While I don't consider Consumer Reports as the gospel they do a thorough and unbiased job when testing and evaluating products. Which is why I keep up an online subscription. CR just did a car wax article in July. CR did not evaluate any super premium or esoteric brands, just the ones the average consumer was likely to find locally. The two top rated products were both liquid waxes, Black Magic Wet Shine and Turtle Wax Carnuba.

Excerpts from the CR article:
In our test of car waxes, we found that pricier ones favored by enthusiasts do not necessarily work better than some less-expensive brands. The two top performers cost just $7, while a product selling for $32 ranked no better than the middle of the pack.

We also found that any wax good enough to provide some protection still requires a dose of good old-fashioned hard work. Easy-to-use spray-on, wipe-off products may save time and work, but they fared worst in our durability tests and were least effective at cleaning. Liquid and paste waxes did better as a group, but they required more effort to apply and remove.

When we tested 28 products, including 16 liquid waxes, 5 pastes, and 7 of the spray-on, wipe-off variety, we found that liquid waxes provide the best cleaning and protection. But contrary to conventional wisdom, in our tests they required more effort than paste waxes to apply and remove. As a group, liquids were the hardest to apply evenly, and they took the most work to buff out. In addition, some left a powdery residue that had to be wiped off. Even the top-rated Black Magic Wet Shine Liquid Wax required an extra bit of buffing to eliminate any streaking. And our other best all-around choice, Turtle Wax Carnauba Car Wax T-6, can cause slight scratching or hazing on newer dark-colored finishes.

Watch out for abrasion. Waxes can be abrasive, some more than others, and the tiny particles in car waxes or harsh chemicals can leave fine scratches or a haze on your car’s finish. Dark-colored vehicles show scratches more easily than lighter-colored ones.

The same abrasiveness can make clear-coated surfaces look hazy or cloudy when the finish is marred by fine scratches, giving the paint a duller look than before waxing. Most wax packaging indicates whether a product is safe for clear-coat finishes.
Old 08-19-2006, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by JonyyB

Repeat that 100 times .....ANY silicone based dash protectent will dry out the plastic and cause that white haze over time . Ive never used anything but distilled water and a mild dish soap to clean my interior plastics with . Doing that maintains the finish , so it always looks like new and not all "shined" up or greasy .

I SWEAR by Zaino . Ive tried everything , and keep going back to Zaino .....the best store bought stuff is using Meguires professional ( tan bottles ) #7 Showcar Glaze followed by Eagle Nanowax . Im picky about what I use and the Nanowax impressed the hell outa me . I also swear by the higher quality( alot thicker) microfiber towels to for wipe down .
Old 08-19-2006, 03:29 PM

well thanks to everyone that helped me! i am sure to buy turbo wax in the future! just got done buying and using Meguiar's NXT generation and I am VERY happy with the results very deep soft finish! thanks again to everyone and very interesting info on the armor all cracking dashes. have to look into it further
Old 08-19-2006, 03:59 PM

Zaino brothers makes the best IMO but you pay for it. The last few times I have waxed my car I have used Mequire's Gold Class and I think it is fantastic also.

As for interior I use Mequire's quick detail and also their leather conditioner.

One thing to remember about wax is that all waxes make your car shine, but it's the deep finish that last, that is important.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:02 PM

I just used zymol today on my car gave it a great shine, but the stuff is hard to remove. I will look into some turbo wax it looks like an excellent product.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:34 PM

im telling you guys, if u got the money go turbo wax or zainos.. my friend has zainos, he clayd his cavi and waxed it with 2 coats, it made his cf like brand new, and the yellow like a freeking mirror
Old 08-20-2006, 12:34 AM

There is no best wax.

It depends on what colour paint you have, metallic, pearl, flat colour, Single stage...and it depends on what type of look you want and what type of durability you are looking for.

But....everything you do BEFORE you wax is what actually makes the wax look good (Wash, clay, defect/swirl removal, polish).

Once that is all done, you have to ask how long you want the wax/sealant to last. Here are some examples:

Excellent durability:

Collinite 845 Insulator wax and 476 wax: These are probably the most durable carnuba waxes on the planet - they are easier to work with than Zaino and easily match / outlast Zaino at a much cheaper price. THe reason they last so long is due to the fact that they are a resin based wax containing carnuba...this makes them detergent proof - big time. Best winter wax you can get. This wax actually gives that slightly "warm/glowly" look of a carnuba and is nice on metallic and dark colours as it is a very clear wax that will not mute or change the colour too much.

Zaino (Z5Pro, Z2Pro, Z6, Z8): These are also extremely durable and should be used as a system. they are a bit labour intensive and produce a very different look than a carnuba based product. I find all Zainos to be VERY reflective and glossy - not as deep as a carnuba. THese are a polymer based sealent system that can be layered to deppen the look. A bit pricey...but they look great on light colors and on blacks and reds.

Klasse Sealant Glaze: One of the oldest acylic polymer sealants on the market. Very durable and layerable. The look is very unique and detailers with a good eye can usually tell a car that has had the Klasse treatment because it looks like the paint is under a "candy shell" or has been saran wrapped. Some people like this look and some think it makes the paint look plasticy. Nevertheless, Klasse is a great base to apply a final wax on. I have tried a Klasse base (2 coats to ensure even coverage) with a top coat of Collinite 845 (again 2 coats) to give my paint a warmer look. Sometimes I even do a spray wax ontop of the collinite as collinite tends to build up a static charge and the spray wax (I use Duragloss Aquawax - Great stuff) to keep the static down.

There are more products that come close to these in terms of looks and durability but these have proven themselves time and time again for me.

Another product line that looks promising is Duragloss (Polymer sealant - very nice look on most colours and metallics and shows some very promising duribility results. The nice thing is that it is sold over the counter and readily avalible online.

Looker waxes (Little to no durability):

Most stuff you buy at Wally World and Crappy Tire (Canadian Tire - incase you yanks did not know )

The Zymol Line (Not the fake zymol that you get over the counter - but the really expensive stuff) right from their 80$ glazes up to their 1200$ waxes - Yes 1200$ for an 8oz jar. Strictly a show wax.

Most straight carnuba waxes will not last more than a month before their protective properties are gone.

If you want to learn more, I have been on Autopia (www.autopia.org) for a number of years now and it is easily the best resource for no-bull detiling information, product reviews and how-to's from a myriad of amateur and professional detailers and product vendors. Trust me....you think that you are doing things properly now....after reading through the site, you will probably realize that you have no idea what the hell you are doing when it comes to PROPERLY detailing a car. I know that was my realization 4 years ago.

Hope this helps!!

-P
Old 08-20-2006, 12:32 PM

Guys don't waste your time with normal wax. Put Teflon Wax on your car and you won't have to wash it for 3-5 years! It goes on and comes off easier than normal wax too. Just make sure you wash your car very good before you put it on. Then you apply it like normal wax. I had it done at the dealer when I bought my 06' 2.4L SS, but you can actually order it also. I know my dad found some on Ebay and bought it for a lot cheaper than it cost to put it on at the dealer. The dealer said 5 years, but I'd say it'd be more realistic to say 3 or 4. But who knows, haven't had my car 5 years yet......
Old 08-20-2006, 01:49 PM

NOTHING will last 3-5 years. The most durable sealants you can get last 6 monthes MAX - and that is if you keep the finish maintained with regular quick detailing and booster applications. Teflon wax is just a bunch of marketing B.S. Teflon is abrasive by nature - it is only slippery when it is plated on a surface. Plus...that paint protection package that most dealers offer is just a synthetic sealant...no better than Zaino or Klasse...and I am willing to bet that it will not last as long as those either.

A good detail job will take time and knowledge. The right products used with the right process will always yield the best results.

Trust me...do a few weeks of research and you will find out what works best for your application.

I apologize if I am coming off as a jerk...but there is so much information when it comes to detailing and I feel compelled to open peoples eyes to that information when someone says that "such and such" is the best wax or that the dealer paint protection is a good option, etc.

-P
Old 08-20-2006, 03:40 PM

dealership tried to pull that on me. no way. i love washing and waxing my car myself. its so rewarding seeing it after.

anyway, i use meguires NEXGEN wax. ive been pretty happy with the results. i love the way it makes my car look when the sun is setting.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:54 PM

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums//showthread.php?t=24886

Klasse & P21S is my current fav along w/ poorboys SSR 1-2.5
Old 08-20-2006, 03:56 PM

Dont know what the best wax is I always have my detailer do it,hes been in the buss 25 years

Quick Reply: Best Car Wax