Appearance Body Kits, Hoods, Wheels, Spoilers, Interiors

Bi xenon HIDs

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bi xenon HIDs

so today i've installed bi xenon hids on my bolt. took me about 1 hour, would've been much less if gm engineers were a little brighter and designed a headlight assembly a little better... anyway, overall i am impressed with them, except i don't get high beams for both lights, it's either 1 or the other lol... i checked all the connections, everything looked solid...
the one thing that surprised me in this kit is that it only had 1 blue socket connector, shouldn't there be 2?
i anybody had same problem ?
Old 06-17-2009, 03:39 PM

The one socket conector energizes the high beams, since they are energized equally. So 2 blue connectors would have been a waste. The relay switches power to the bulb actuators, which are grounded on the 2 included ground wires. These grounds are the only real place where the power is constrained. If the grounds aren't good enough, it won't work properly. I have to reground mine direct to a better source. Currently mine are grounded to the frame. I need to ground them with a line to the battery, or to a better existing ground screw.

Another possible cause (to be thourough): The bulbs themselves or the relay.
Bulbs and relays can be purchased throught this site direct, or you can go through your retailer for warranty, if the grounding fix doesn't work for you.

SITE: http://vvme.com/contact_us.jsp (warranty claims)

I ordered an extra relay, just in case I find that to be the faulty part. I didn't want to send mine back, as having a backup is always a good idea. Got the extra relay for $20 shipped from them.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by thought
The one socket conector energizes the high beams, since they are energized equally. So 2 blue connectors would have been a waste. The relay switches power to the bulb actuators, which are grounded on the 2 included ground wires. These grounds are the only real place where the power is constrained. If the grounds aren't good enough, it won't work properly. I have to reground mine direct to a better source. Currently mine are grounded to the frame. I need to ground them with a line to the battery, or to a better existing ground screw.

Another possible cause (to be thourough): The bulbs themselves or the relay.
Bulbs and relays can be purchased throught this site direct, or you can go through your retailer for warranty, if the grounding fix doesn't work for you.

SITE: http://vvme.com/contact_us.jsp (warranty claims)

I ordered an extra relay, just in case I find that to be the faulty part. I didn't want to send mine back, as having a backup is always a good idea. Got the extra relay for $20 shipped from them.
i knew grounding would've been a problem that's why i grounded them to one of the side bolt of hood assembly, i even scraped some paint off to improve grounding...
as for relay, what could be wrong there?
Old 06-17-2009, 05:22 PM

Well, the relay could be failing to give enough current to keep both actuators engaged. Or in my case, the relay may be fried and can't "hold".

It could still be that the ground has too much resistance to the ground source. I plan of trying to find a good ground from something big like the starter (?) THe reason I thinkg grounding could STILL be an issue (for you and me - I have mine similar to yours) is that the relay worked perfect when I had only one light hooked in. Then lost the ability to hold when I added the second. The relay might be sensative enough to require a real direct ground (to battery). That's my theory. I'm gonna try some things this weekend. If the grounding doesn't work, I have the spare relay to try. I know the bulbs work, so it's only one or the other.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:22 AM

did you guys figure out the issue here? I have the same problem

doing some research I found that people buying for saturn ion and also mustangs had to re-wire the blue connector as it was backwards for some reason...that fixed their "no high beam" issue
Old 08-25-2009, 02:33 AM

same here man i have the same prob my high beams wont work with the bi-xenon a solution to this will solve my issue
Old 10-15-2009, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by RedBalt44
same here man i have the same prob my high beams wont work with the bi-xenon a solution to this will solve my issue

Dudes I hope you get this!!!!

Switch the blue and white wires in the high beam connector from the kit, and ground the 2 grounding screws very well.

Finally switched the blue and white wires and it works great! Fixed them!
Old 10-15-2009, 08:15 PM

i have the same probelm too.. what kit did you buy mine is the one from vvme on ebay. is that what yous have?

also does one of your bulbs insulator wire not point down and the other does?
Thread jack over/
Old 10-15-2009, 10:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you drive the car and you don't even know how to spell it

BALT! not bolt.
i hate when ppl say cobolt or call it a bolt.
its a cobalt or in some other people like to call it balt.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by majourpain
i have the same probelm too.. what kit did you buy mine is the one from vvme on ebay. is that what yous have?

also does one of your bulbs insulator wire not point down and the other does?
Thread jack over/

Yup that's the same kit. Just cut the blue and white wires from the high/lo beam connector and switch them and you will be good. As far as the insulator wire, can you be more specific? I'm not sure which one you are talking about.

Anywho, with the wiring done right now, I can finally flick my high beams off and on at will, which helps on highway driving to appease those who flick highs at me, so I can show them I'm not on highs, it's just bright HIDs.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:48 AM

lol i know what you mean i aimed them down and i still get flashes anyway the insulator wire im talking about is the one that goes to the tip of the bulb itself. the ceramic wire i think thats what it is.. anyway the driver side the wire is straight down but the passenger is turned abit? any ideas? also anyone have a picture of the blue and white wire that needs swapped? thinking i might perfect the ground and swap those wires today if i have time.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:47 AM

On the blue socket switch the wires around in a different order until you find the one that works. I had to do it when I got my kit. Not all 9007 connections are the same.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 212 Likes on 171 Posts
pictures?!