Appearance Body Kits, Hoods, Wheels, Spoilers, Interiors

carbon fiber help.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
carbon fiber help.

I am looking to keep my balt a sleeper. I want carbon fiber body parts and then paint them. I can only carbon fiber for the hood and trunk. I would love to have the body kit from the SS but in carbon fiber along with the bumpers and fenders. I know they do not make these but my question is, does anyone know who I can get in contact with to get these custom made? Also is any one knows if they make a carbon fiber valve cover? Not painted like but real carbon.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:42 AM
Premium Member

Talk to Extreme Dimensions.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts
extreme dimensions has been working on a front lip! expected to come out in may or something. ebay sells cf high rise wings

i don't know how much weight you'd be saving doing this though, it wont be much. carbon fiber isn't too much lighter than plastics (hood and trunk are metal though)
Old 02-22-2012, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by RKRamos
Talk to Extreme Dimensions.
ok i will try them
Old 02-22-2012, 08:51 AM

Received 173 Likes on 134 Posts
carbon fiber valve cover... No there is noone that make a carbon fiber valve cover
Old 02-22-2012, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by riceburner
extreme dimensions has been working on a front lip! expected to come out in may or something. ebay sells cf high rise wings

i don't know how much weight you'd be saving doing this though, it wont be much. carbon fiber isn't too much lighter than plastics (hood and trunk are metal though)
I want the stock balt SS parts but make them carbon fiber. lighter is lighter even if its a Lbs. im going for a sleeper notthing flashy or ricey this is an american car.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:03 AM
AWD > FWD

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just as an fyi cf bumpers aren't really gonna be any lighter than the plastic they already are, they're just gonna he more expensive to replace of someone hits them. Something like the roof, fenders, and doors would be a better use.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by TommyP
Just as an fyi cf bumpers aren't really gonna be any lighter than the plastic they already are, they're just gonna he more expensive to replace of someone hits them. Something like the roof, fenders, and doors would be a better use.
if i could find the roof or the doors that would be awsome but havnt found any for this car. i would rather the fenders and smaller body parts be CF. the bumbers not as big of a deal just would be nice to have.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:15 AM
AWD > FWD

The roof idk how you would do but the doors could be done if you sent them off to be custom made. If you need some custom carbon parts, there's a guy local to me that does awesome work

Element6carbon
Old 02-22-2012, 11:21 AM

Most companies don't make stock looking body parts for the cars, and most companies use duraflex or fiberglass. You can get aftermarket fenders, i don't know of any for our cars that are carbon fiber, but there are some around that are duraflex. The duraflex fenders will be lighter then the stock fenders.... BTW it is going to cost a ton to get parts like that made. Why not just spend the money and build your engine? Oh also are you looking for these parts for the 2.2 car that is in your photo's?
Old 02-22-2012, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by TommyP
The roof idk how you would do but the doors could be done if you sent them off to be custom made. If you need some custom carbon parts, there's a guy local to me that does awesome work

Element6carbon
now would they be wraped in CF or would they be CF.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by blu3_v1p3r
Most companies don't make stock looking body parts for the cars, and most companies use duraflex or fiberglass. You can get aftermarket fenders, i don't know of any for our cars that are carbon fiber, but there are some around that are duraflex. The duraflex fenders will be lighter then the stock fenders.... BTW it is going to cost a ton to get parts like that made. Why not just spend the money and build your engine? Oh also are you looking for these parts for the 2.2 car that is in your photo's?
yes i want to turn the 2.2 LT into an SS. they car was given to my payed off so id rather not go sell it then buy another when I could just work this one. wouldnt mind droping a 2.4 in it.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:40 AM

good luck on trying to do a 2.4 swap into a 2.2... if you have all the extra money to say you want to do an engine swap and have all these carbon fiber pieces custom made and painted why not just go out an buy an SS? I mean after all going from a 2.2 to a 2.4 will give you maybe 30 hp.... doesn't seem like a big enough jump to make me want to spend a ton of cash. Thats just my opinion...
Old 02-22-2012, 11:51 AM
AWD > FWD

Originally Posted by Ccadet02
now would they be wraped in CF or would they be CF.
To be honest I'm not entirely sure, I thInk he can do both, I've seen him make some thinks and wrap others, you'd have to email him and ask
Old 02-22-2012, 11:51 AM

good luck on trying to do a 2.4 swap into a 2.2... if you have all the extra money to say you want to do an engine swap and have all these carbon fiber pieces custom made and painted why not just go out an buy an SS? I mean after all going from a 2.2 to a 2.4 will give you maybe 30 hp.... doesn't seem like a big enough jump to make me want to spend a ton of cash. Thats just my opinion...
i said i woulnt mind having a 2.4. in not about to be a poser with all the parts but nothing to show for it. i want to work the engine first im just trying to gather what i can so i dont have to scramble later.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts
Besides, theres better easier ways to save more weight than spending a shitton to get custom carbon fiber panels made. try removing ac and radio components and carpet, bam you just saved probably that much weight for freezies.

i especially wouldnt buy custom carbon stuff if im just gonna paint it anyways lol

sorry to bash ur idea, just .02 cents.

Last edited by riceburner; 02-22-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there are alot of reasons to goto the 2.4.. gen 2 block.. bolts to same tranny, more displacement if you want to boost

there was a company that made doors but they made it so you couldn't use windows if i recal
Old 02-22-2012, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by elecblue06
there are alot of reasons to goto the 2.4.. gen 2 block.. bolts to same tranny, more displacement if you want to boost

there was a company that made doors but they made it so you couldn't use windows if i recal
with what you said on 2.4 stock maybe 30 hp but after the mods, bouring, TC/SC a lot more HP. i want to the body lightened at much as possable evenly and with in reason.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:40 PM

For the thousands of dollars you will have to spend to have custom carbon fenders made you could sell what you have and get a real SS.
Very little difference in weight between fiberglass and CF on the cheap retail cf body panels you can buy. A true racing CF part can shave a lot more weight because it is all carbon rather than a single layer of cf with the rest being fiberglass.
If you must have cf try calling one of the companies that make fiberglass fenders for the cobalt. It would save you from having to pay for the molds to be pulled. The only problem is I don't think anyone makes a oem fiberglass fender for our cars.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by sLAsh
For the thousands of dollars you will have to spend to have custom carbon fenders made you could sell what you have and get a real SS.
This...
Old 02-22-2012, 03:48 PM

For the thousands of dollars you will have to spend to have custom carbon fenders made you could sell what you have and get a real SS. .... problem is I don't think anyone makes a oem fiberglass fender for our cars.
/end thread
Old 02-22-2012, 06:35 PM

Very little difference in weight between fiberglass and CF on the cheap retail cf body panels you can buy. A true racing CF part can shave a lot more weight because it is all carbon rather than a single layer of cf with the rest being fiberglass.
If you must have cf try calling one of the companies that make fiberglass fenders for the cobalt. It would save you from having to pay for the molds to be pulled. The only problem is I don't think anyone makes a oem fiberglass fender for our cars.
i am talking about 100% CF parts not skined THAT would be a waist of money. idk were u got i wanted both. i might just make the mods molds and get the fenders and stuff from junk yards. and y would i buy a SS be making payments on it an doing all the engine and body mods, when i have a cobalt 100% paid off and do all the mods i want??? all i need is a supercharger and the bumper deflecters and i have an SS.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:46 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 212 Likes on 171 Posts
if you want a sleeper why are you worried about making it look like an SS?

build motor, boost it, stop worrying about carbon fiber painted stuff. waste of money when weight savings will be minimal at best.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:38 AM

if anything ill make my molds for the fenders and make them CF. dont realy like the SS spoilers to much kinda like the lower spoilers.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:35 PM

Even if you do it yourself if you want full carbon fenders it will cost you more than putting a SC on your car and not give you anywhere near the same performance gain.
If you truly want it to be light you will need to either vacuum form or infuse it.
Commercial CF hoods are made from CSM(chopped strand mat) fiberglass out of a chopper gun with a single layer of CF. A full CF hood might be 25 lbs lighter but probably has probably in the order of $400-600 more in materials between the extra layers of CF and the additional cost of epoxy versus polyester resin. It also requires a lot more skill to produce.
If you are still stuck on the idea pm carbon creations. They could probably do what you want for $3,000. Maybe you could get them to run a GB and if you got 10-20 people interested you could probably get the price down to around $2000.
If you have never done anything like this before and think you can do it yourself well all I can suggest is that you plan to do a lot of reading and plan to trash at least a few $100 of materials learning.
If you are truly interested here are a couple of awesome forums to get you started
http://www.compositescentral.net
http://www.fiberglassforums.com/

Quick Reply: carbon fiber help.