Appearance Body Kits, Hoods, Wheels, Spoilers, Interiors

Carbon Fiber: Overused?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Carbon Fiber: Overused?

I'm bored here at work so I'll put this out and see what happens. It seems like everyone these days is lusting after carbon fiber goodies. CF wing inserts, hoods, trunks, bowties, fuel doors, everything you can think of, people want it in carbon fiber.

My question is why? I've never been partial to the look of CF, I don't bag on it because it does have valid uses, and in some cases, it does increase the aesthetics of a ride. However, and I'm probably gonna get roasted for going against the grain in this, but I can't help but voice my opinions.

I'm new to the sport compact 'scene', so to speak, my other ride is a 68 Impala, still a chevy, slightly bigger scale. Obviously, I didn't see a whole helluva lot of carbon fiber when I worked on and around muscle cars. So I bought this badass little cobalt cause I needed something reliable to commute in and still have fun in, and here I am cause I love forum whoring for one, and modding my cars for two.

But I'm struggling to understand the CF craze that seems to permeate the general area of appearance mods.

Just my two cents.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:22 PM

Lot of people get it for the looks but it weighs a lot less then other and yeah you wont see much of it on muscle cars
Old 09-21-2007, 02:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
all i know is red and silver cars look sick well especially the cobalt, look so sick with cf on em
Old 09-21-2007, 02:24 PM

i really dont like it.. thats MO... to expensive.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:26 PM

Yea, I just always liked the look. It is way more of a tuner thing. CF is getting more useful as the years pass because its very strong and lightweight. It has a very neat look to it but I also think you can go overboard. Some cars are made of CF (body) for lightweight and strength. Your avg. tuner ride does it because it looks good and does give a little bit of a weight reduction. Removing weight from your car adds up in the long run. You figure 20 pounds saved on a hood, 5 pounds saved on a wing, few other odds and ends like fenders and stuff you could lose up to 100 pounds. Thats only good for a tenth of a second, but its still faster....
Old 09-21-2007, 02:26 PM

I mean, don't get me wrong, some of the 'balts I've seen recently with the carbon fiber hoods look ******' badass, and that stuff I don't have a problem with. Likewise for cars that are actively looking to shed weight and time in the quarter.

I guess what it boils down to is that I cannot stand a 'ricer' type CF exhibit: Slow, loud, ugly, with carbon fiber ******* everything.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by R&C_rallySS
Thats only good for a tenth of a second, but its still faster....
You're only talking in a straight line, shaving weight makes a MUCH more profound difference when you get into road racing. The GAC Cobalts have carbon fiber hood, trunk, fenders, brake ducts, etc. The less the car weighs, the easier it is to throw around.

Originally Posted by They call me 'E'
I mean, don't get me wrong, some of the 'balts I've seen recently with the carbon fiber hoods look ******' badass, and that stuff I don't have a problem with. Likewise for cars that are actively looking to shed weight and time in the quarter.

I guess what it boils down to is that I cannot stand a 'ricer' type CF exhibit: Slow, loud, ugly, with carbon fiber ******* everything.
Honestly if I went CF I'd paint it. It's functional for me, so I don't really need the "bling" factor of showing it off, I'd much prefer the stock look just with some weight savings.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:38 PM
Former Cobalt Owner

CF only looks good if you dont over do it
Old 09-21-2007, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by PlaysWitCars
CF only looks good if you dont over do it
Exactly, kind of like your car. Hood, wing, trunk and some interrir to match it. Thats exactly as far as I would go. I have the CF wing, need a hood and trunk next. Also looks good on alot of colors. Black just matches about anything. The weave look of CF gives a appealing look when in the sun. Sometimes my wing just looks like its painted black but when its sunny out it looks awesome. Goes well with blacked out tails and the black projector headlights to.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:45 PM

I am gonna rip the whole shell off of my car and make it ALL carbon fiber.

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 09-21-2007, 03:20 PM
Former Cobalt Owner

^^ that would be rreeeeddddiiccculous!
Old 09-21-2007, 03:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
its used because its good.

If i could CF my whole car and paint it i would.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:28 PM

i think it looks nice, heres a real nice example of carbon fiber beind added to a car perfectly.

Old 09-21-2007, 03:30 PM

I think raw carbon fiber is overused yes.... If it gets painted that is a different story!

I think for the strength and weight savings you can't get any better, but I think just using it for asthetics is getting old!
Old 09-21-2007, 03:34 PM

To each his own.

I have a CF hood and wing insert because 1)In my opinion raw carbon fiber looks badass 2) It is functional (moreso the hood) and very lightweight
Old 09-21-2007, 03:35 PM

Agree'd I think there isn't anything better for it's strength... I just feel it is better if painted and looks stock.....

But that is just me.... I don't like to stand out!
Old 09-21-2007, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by an0malous
its used because its good.

If i could CF my whole car and paint it i would.
x2. If it could color match a hood, Id be all over it.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:41 PM

I love a lightweight hood but don't care that it is carbon fiber. Some are available in CF or fiberglass, with the latter being maybe 25-35% cheaper. The only problem is that the price difference will probably be eaten up by having the fiberglass professionally painted.
I do like a dark hood cause it looks somewhat like the sports/pony cars of the '60s & '70s. If I had one I'd consider getting it sprayed with a dull clearcoat to cut down on reflected glare.

You do have to research the piece you want, though. Some companies' parts haze or get cloudy because they don't have enough UV protection, and others just don't seem to line up and fit as well as we'd like. It seems that some of them crack, too.

CF does have the bling factor that some like, there is even a lot of fake CF out there now, so personally I think it is being overused. But I am much more into function than style.

BTW, welcome to the site, E!

just my 2 cents, your reality may differ
Old 09-21-2007, 04:04 PM

most hoods nowadays are aluminum especially on japanese cars, so the CF hoods aren't THAT much lighter, especially the cheap ones. i'm getting over the CF craze too, i was a CF ***** on my last car. hood, wing, shift knob, battery and fluid reservior covers, engine cover, front strut brace, muffler, CF look car club logo on the fender. yikes.

i'm probably not going to use a lot of it going forward. i haven't used any at all on the cobalt. plus if i did, i'd have most of the piece painted body color and only minimal amounts of bare CF showing, like a logo or body line or paint fade.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:04 PM

the leader of my old club wrapped his prelude in CF wrap, looked sweet, he had real CF doors, trunk, hood, fenders, bumpers, but just wrapped the roof and quarter panels. but i love the look of CF, people look at it and wonder what it is, sets you apart from the rest.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:35 PM

Its all about what you like......... I want things that perform good rather than look good
Old 09-22-2007, 02:20 PM

I like the looks and the little weight loss i gained. Since i added so much weight in stereo lol.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by KillerBee
Lot of people get it for the looks but it weighs a lot less then other and yeah you wont see much of it on muscle cars
Fourth Gen Camaros have and use Carbon Fiber hoods. Most of the time they are painted to match the car.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:56 PM

F1 cars are carbon fiber.. and guess what.. even they paint them!!!

carbon fiber inserts, carbon fiber stickers = horrible

but.. if morons buy them then i'll sell them as well

Originally Posted by BlueSS-supercharged
the leader of my old club wrapped his prelude in CF wrap, looked sweet, he had real CF doors, trunk, hood, fenders, bumpers, but just wrapped the roof and quarter panels. but i love the look of CF, people look at it and wonder what it is, sets you apart from the rest.
honda + carbon fiber= typical..

Last edited by TVS_SS; 09-22-2007 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-22-2007, 02:57 PM

Well I got my carbon fiber hood for $300.00, It wasn't a question of wanting it but rather not being able to pass up that kind of deal.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber: Overused?