no
84.29%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

cobalt SS ricer looking?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question cobalt SS ricer looking?

do you think the cobalt SS is kinda ricer-ish?

heard some ppl say it kinda does...

me i think it does not what do you ppl think?
defantion?
1. ricer
(Ricer: from the latin word Ricarius meaning to suck at everything you attempt)

A person who makes unecessary modifications to their most often import car (hence the term "rice") to make it (mostly make it look) faster. The most common modifications are (but not limited to):

- Huge exhaust that serves no purpose but to make the car louder
- Large spoiler on the back that looks like something Boeing made for the 747
- Lots of after-market company stickers they don't have parts from, but must be cool
- Expensive rims that usually cost more than the car itself
- Bodykit to make the car appear lower, usually accented with chicken wire
- Clear tail lights and corner signals
- A "performace intake"- a tube that feeds cold air to their engine usually located in areas of excessive heat (behind or on top of the engine)
- Most of these riced cars (a.k.a. rice rockets or rice burners) are imports; Honda Civics, Accords, Integras, CRXs, RSXs, Del Sols Mitsubishi Eclipses, Lancers, Subaru Imprezas, however there are some domestics such as Chevrolet Caviliers, Dodge Neons, Ford Focus; small, slow, economy cars designed specifically to go slow. Please note that some Supras, Skylines, WRX's and other higher performance imports are designed to go fast, and are therfore not always considered rice. It really depends on the severity of the case.

The "ricer" attempts to make their car "performance" by adding the modifications listed above. These ricers are not confined to any one ethnic group or color, however different ethnic groups are known for certain styles.
Honda Civics with big spoilers and 4" exhaust tips are considered to be ricers.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:20 PM

What exactly does that term mean?
Old 05-17-2005, 02:51 PM

Ok thanks, i thought it meant something like that. The car does not look like that to me at all.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:09 PM
Premium Member

The big wing on the back serves no purpose, but the rest of the ground-effects are clean looking and not over-done like a true ricer would be. And the Cobalt SS/SC fits into the "Supras, Skylines, WRX's and other higher performance" category of cars that "were designed to go fast".
Old 05-17-2005, 03:14 PM

I would say that the Spoiler is "ricer". The rest is just pure performance baby
Old 05-17-2005, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Calgden
I would say that the Spoiler is "ricer". The rest is just pure performance baby
see i dont think the wing is ricer.. it may look like it could be somewhat a ricer but it goes with the car , its not like it stand out too too much on it...
Old 05-17-2005, 04:19 PM

The wing is not "ricer" it looks good it is the body color... not carbon fiber or some crap... and it is proportional with the car.... someone chopped it away on here and I dont think it looked right
Old 05-17-2005, 05:00 PM

Funny how nobody ever says anything about the giant wings on the EVO and STI !?!

I like my cobalt wing, and I normally despise wings. But to each his own.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by turboeco
Funny how nobody ever says anything about the giant wings on the EVO and STI !?!

i like the wing it looks great on the car...

thats what i think...
Old 05-17-2005, 06:41 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I didn't like the SS wing either. I got an LS because I intend to do some serious engine modifications. No pretty chrome pipes leading to nothing but aftermarket air filters. I'm building an automatic turbo charged coupe. When I'm done, the car will still look pretty much completely stock. The only exterior modification will be a body kit (sorry plyboy) so as to accomodate the intercooler up front.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:35 PM

Its a car trying to look faster then it is...
Old 05-17-2005, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by rm25x
Its a car trying to look faster then it is...

I saw you in grand blanc the other day. My friends dad works for GM perfomance division and he knows a few tweaks. Take a ride in my SS flag me down next time you see me. This car is faster than my C4 corvette was Im going to start the motor work soon, I'll keep you guys posted. His dad metioned something about reflashing the computer or something and that 270 Hp is easily achievable with minimal work. Im going to take the car back down to him in about a month to begin some work.
Old 05-18-2005, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by plyboy-illest
do you think the cobalt SS is kinda ricer-ish?

heard some ppl say it kinda does...

me i think it does not what do you ppl think?
defantion?
1. ricer
(Ricer: from the latin word Ricarius meaning to suck at everything you attempt)

A person who makes unecessary modifications to their most often import car (hence the term "rice") to make it (mostly make it look) faster. The most common modifications are (but not limited to):

- Huge exhaust that serves no purpose but to make the car louder
- Large spoiler on the back that looks like something Boeing made for the 747
- Lots of after-market company stickers they don't have parts from, but must be cool
- Expensive rims that usually cost more than the car itself
- Bodykit to make the car appear lower, usually accented with chicken wire
- Clear tail lights and corner signals
- A "performace intake"- a tube that feeds cold air to their engine usually located in areas of excessive heat (behind or on top of the engine)
- Most of these riced cars (a.k.a. rice rockets or rice burners) are imports; Honda Civics, Accords, Integras, CRXs, RSXs, Del Sols Mitsubishi Eclipses, Lancers, Subaru Imprezas, however there are some domestics such as Chevrolet Caviliers, Dodge Neons, Ford Focus; small, slow, economy cars designed specifically to go slow. Please note that some Supras, Skylines, WRX's and other higher performance imports are designed to go fast, and are therfore not always considered rice. It really depends on the severity of the case.

The "ricer" attempts to make their car "performance" by adding the modifications listed above. These ricers are not confined to any one ethnic group or color, however different ethnic groups are known for certain styles.
Honda Civics with big spoilers and 4" exhaust tips are considered to be ricers.
You forgot only one part to this.. Ricer any dimwit who thinks more is better! a.k.a a person adding an extreeeeeeeem body kit that is square and sharp at all edges when his car is round and vice-versa, and forgetting to paint it! An exhaust that sounds more like a lawnmower then a car! A ricer is any person who thinks they can modify there car but has no idea what to do and where.

p.s. any car that looks like a shopping cart is a ricer
Old 05-18-2005, 09:31 AM

The huge boeing 747 wing is definitely ricer style, not to mention it looks like ****. The rest of the car is very clean looking. All the SS needs is a lower Monte Carlo SS style spoiler.
Old 05-18-2005, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by turboeco

Well the Evo and STi have a long history of race breeding. Basically, they ARE race cars that happen to be street legal. Those spoilers are fully functional, even if the results aren't apparent until speeds in excess of 90+ mph.

That said, there are STi folks that "swap trunks" with regular WRX owners so they can go with a less in-your-face wing. Check out NASIOC forums and you'll see it's a common thing. Some of them even keep 2 trunks. One with no spoiler and another stock spoiler for race days.

I think the cobalt wing looks good, but is just a bit overdone. I would have scaled it down a notch or two. I don't dislike it enough to want to change it (unless it was free!)

(Edit: Look at that. I'm suddenly a Senior Member heheh )
Old 05-18-2005, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by ssstraub
Well the Evo and STi have a long history of race breeding. Basically, they ARE race cars that happen to be street legal. Those spoilers are fully functional, even if the results aren't apparent until speeds in excess of 90+ mph.

That said, there are STi folks that "swap trunks" with regular WRX owners so they can go with a less in-your-face wing. Check out NASIOC forums and you'll see it's a common thing. Some of them even keep 2 trunks. One with no spoiler and another stock spoiler for race days.

I think the cobalt wing looks good, but is just a bit overdone. I would have scaled it down a notch or two. I don't dislike it enough to want to change it (unless it was free!)

i agree with you
Old 05-19-2005, 07:29 PM

i find this whole 'ricer' thing quite interesting. i dont think the ss is ricer looking at all because it has the power to back its appearance. today, i saw what looked like a souped-up neon (the older design). he had a huge tail-pipe and wing and he kinda motioned me to race him ( i was in my 03 malibu), so i floored it and put forth all the V6 goodness of my car and i smoked him....turns out that i knew the kid and he told me that all the exterior looks of his car did nothing for performance and the engine was still stock i love my mali, people, especially those in cavaliers, sunfires, etc, always under-estimate the power of my car b/c of its old-lady-like appearance. its only 170 horsepower.....but you wouldnt think so if you looked at the car
Old 05-19-2005, 07:39 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The wing is functional people!!!!

It prevents me from seeing all the police cars lined up behind me.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by zinner
The wing is functional people!!!!

It prevents me from seeing all the police cars lined up behind me.
ahah, dont know if thats a good thing or not
Old 05-22-2005, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by ssstraub

The SS goes speeds 90+ does it not? and if the wings on any car were actually for racing they would be made completely different regarless of what an EVO or STI does on the racetrack the ones we buy are not made to race the spoliers are for looks... YES it might help at high speeds but its intention is looks
Old 07-01-2005, 07:40 PM

That's an interesting definition. I always associate it with the food/grain since a lot of Asians modify their Asian imports to look like they "run on rice".

Anyone else heard that one?
Old 07-02-2005, 04:14 AM

the wing looks fine

whether is for looks or racing it definately makes the ss/sc look better
Old 07-02-2005, 04:35 AM
Premium Member

Hell, we had big spoilers on American cars way before the term " ricer " was even thought up, http://www.allpar.com/model/superbird.html .

BTW, I think the spoiler looks great on the SS.

Al
Old 07-29-2005, 02:35 PM

The SS is not a ricer. Wanna see some real ones? http://www.FightRice.com
Old 01-07-2006, 02:17 PM

What the hell kinda topic is this? First of all if you want real opinions on if its ricer or not make this poll on another car form. What'd you exspect cobalt owners to say? And in my opinion I only like the wing cause of the attention it brings to the car just like a loud exhaust would. So its easier to get races when im flying about in my travels. If they really wanted to Gm coulda made the regular ls or lt wing and option but then the car wouldn't stand out as much from the rest of the cobalt lineup.

Quick Reply: cobalt SS ricer looking?