Appearance Body Kits, Hoods, Wheels, Spoilers, Interiors

Halfcents Second Gauge Pod Idea (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 03:11 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Halfcents Second Gauge Pod Idea (pics)

OK, so here is the new pod as promised. If you didn't get to see the first one, click here. I already like this one a lot better. I switched to a softer, more dense foam with color. That alone made shaping and molding it a lot easier. I ditched the idea of matching it up to the contour of the factory cluster, and that made things a lot easier too. I stuck a printed picture of some Autometer C2 gauges on there so you can get a good perspective.

Now I know what you are saying. "Jesus that's huge!" Well, it isn't really. The camera doesn't do it justice. Take a look at a the rest of them...

This is the driver view. I gave up a small amount of line of sight in order to get the height necessary for clearance. If you read the first thread, you saw the problem I had was there wasn't enough room for the gauge behind the panel due to the slope of the dash. That problem is now fixed.

This is probably the best picture;

And this is what it looks like from on top;

Here's the good news, I can make it smaller. The problem I had with the first one was it was too small, so I didn't want to short myself on this one. Gauges require about 2 inches of depth to fit. I can reduce the height of the pod by about a half inch easily, maybe more. And you know the smaller it gets the better it will look. I could also reduce the length, but I don't think I want to. More length off sets the height, which should give it a sleek look.
Old 04-09-2006, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It would look better if you made it a little shorter.

That thing is HUGE.

Maybe something like this

Or possibly something like this to be similar to our main gauge cluster roof

Old 04-09-2006, 03:20 PM

This is my pod. Not oem looking. I like your idea trying to make one OEM stlye.
Old 04-09-2006, 03:20 PM
I'm old school

Both of those designs have the pod as part of the dash design. Hence, the dash is open behind there giving the gauge the room it needs to be mounted. I don't have that luxury here unless I cut open the top of the dash, and that is exactly what I don't want to do. But yes, It will get a little smaller.

Mine looks very large because of how close to the front of the dash it is sitting. For instance, that one you are using is sitting back quite a bit. Now keep that same height, and move it closer.
Old 04-09-2006, 03:21 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Super start!! i like this approach far better. Mercury is bang on. miniturize it a bit. width is very cool the lines are there. You are makeing some great progress with this unit. I know I want this unit! Keep going, HALFCENT!!
Old 04-09-2006, 03:22 PM

those are both nasty IMO :/
Old 04-09-2006, 03:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Halfcent
Both of those designs have the pod as part of the dash design. Hence, the dash is open behind there giving the gauge the room it needs to be mounted. I don't have that luxury here unless I cut open the top of the dash, and that is exactly what I don't want to do. But yes, It will get a little smaller.

Mine looks very large because of how close to the front of the dash it is sitting. For instance, that one you are using is sitting back quite a bit. Now keep that same height, and move it closer.

You are right but if we were to take COBALT style meters and build the pod around its size you can recommend the style of guage. then its a little more simple. just build it out from the dash. it does not have to be a flat face does it. angle the part below the guages back to gain depth and angle the guages up. that could work.
Old 04-09-2006, 03:32 PM
I'm old school

Hmm, I see what you're saying, and that's a good idea. Actually it made me think not only about moving it forward, but also moving it back. Let me go see what it looks like.

Okay, just did. Setting it further forward looks wrong. It projects into the car too much, and hanging out over the vents didn't look right. Setting it further aft worked, but I actually ended up losing more line of sight due to to being higher up on the dash.

I'm going to shave this one down to as thin as it can be. If that looks better, I'm going to make a third mold with a different brow line to better match the car (not so straight)

Last edited by Halfcent; 04-09-2006 at 03:55 PM.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:06 PM

Looks really good to me; it is on the tall side. What size gauges are those represented?? I don't know that my gauges would have to be that big. Perhaps a reduction in gauge size could yield a smaller unit. Maybe you could have a large version and a small version. Also a thought, maybe you can make the gauges project out of the pod unit. You could make a raised ring for them to rest against and pull them outward away from the dash by .5" or so. I hope I am conveying my idea. If you can reduce the amount of space needed behind the pod to install the gauge you could probably shorten it up a bit. You could also make project outward and toward the driver. Just some other thoughts for ya.
I gotta say though, good work!!

Scott
Old 04-09-2006, 04:47 PM

yea if the gauge faces in the first pic are the right size i say shave the bottom till it meets the black and leave it were it is ,directly above the vents ,looks like u could lower it about an inch or more.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by T-bone
yea if the gauge faces in the first pic are the right size i say shave the bottom till it meets the black and leave it were it is ,directly above the vents ,looks like u could lower it about an inch or more.
Read again T-bone. To get the clearance needed inside the pod to mount the gauges without cutting a hole in the dash it has to be mounted higher b/c of the curve in the dash.
Old 04-09-2006, 05:29 PM

Thumbs up

all the hating of the saturn gauge cluster and now this! I love em all
Old 04-09-2006, 05:39 PM

Make It Smaller!

COBALT SS/SC=IMPORT KILLER
Old 04-09-2006, 05:40 PM
I'm old school

OK, I sexied up the mold a little bit. I will have to make a new one again, but that's ok, this is fun and cheap. I took the extra clearance off the bottom, that is as low as I can make it and keep my clearance. I rounded off the corners a lot, which destroyed the original brow line, so I just rounded it off for now. It helped to visualize how to do the next one. Here are the before and afters...

Old 04-09-2006, 05:41 PM

^^^ If you could make it half as tall...then I'd think I would look alot better.
Old 04-09-2006, 05:51 PM

we r so going to get made fun of. if i saw that at a car i would laugh. you could make it alot lower. maybe 3 inches high
Old 04-09-2006, 05:52 PM

Its alittle better too bad u cant get it any lower, I understand the clearance issue .smaller gauges? I like the shape of that last one. nextime roll down the window
Old 04-09-2006, 06:35 PM

the after is much better and actually does appear a little less bloated.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:52 PM

That is looking much better, but the guages seem too big. Like someone else said if you were to drop the size of the gauges by .5" or even 1" you could make the pod smaller. Assuming you haven't bought the gauges already.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:16 PM
I'm old school

Those are Autometer C2 gauges in actual size (2 1/4") They don't get any smaller.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:17 PM

Hideous!
Old 04-09-2006, 07:22 PM

I liked the orgininal idea better
Old 04-09-2006, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Halfcent
Those are Autometer C2 gauges in actual size (2 1/4") They don't get any smaller.
Can you not get 2" or 2 1/16" gauges?? Anyway, just trying to help in any way possible.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:10 PM

Honestly, I liked your first idea of blending in it MUCH, MUCH better. But, if you don't like that way then I suggest making it as low profile and round as you can.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:13 PM
Banned

I dare you to paint that black and velcro it on the dash and drive around town like that. People would get scared.

Quick Reply: Halfcents Second Gauge Pod Idea (pics)