Appearance Body Kits, Hoods, Wheels, Spoilers, Interiors

HID Projection Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HID Projection Question

So I installed some Gen 1's and popped in a 6000k HID Kit aimed them and I was a little dissappointed. After looking through the threads in regards to aiming, Most of the time I see a nice amount of light output (even on Halogen) but right where the "step" is (the one with a 2.1-2.5" drop when aimed correctly) there is a big empty spot of little to no light. Its not the "V" syndrome where the bulb wasn't put in correctly, it almost seems like the small globe on the inside of all HID's is blocking light or not lighting up (I always assumed it did) and in turn seems like the bowl is reflecting every bit of the light that is being put out. Also, the light "Flickers" as if the gas isn't igniting correctly. Its more like a flutter right around the "dead area" I'm speaking of and no matter how long the warmup time, it still does it. Its not as noticeable driving as it is sitting for a few seconds waiting for them to full warm up.

I'm curious if this is caused by the projector or by the bulb? I'll get a picture tomorrow evening hopefully but I'm hoping this isn't a projector bowl issue.

I'm pretty electrically inclined and I could probable do a decent bulb swap (I went to Ebay for the HID Kit + HID Combo package... I know I know, I got what I paid for) but I'm curious if I replace the bulbs with a better quality one, will this fix the issue?
Old 05-11-2011, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is the best thing I can find about the flicker. It seems its a ballast issue (I actually expected a lower quality issue tbh) but it doesn't bother me when I'm driving.

YouTube - Flickering Comparison for- Xentec
Old 05-11-2011, 09:32 PM
AWD > FWD

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That globe is what creates the light. Still sounds to me like the bulb is seated incorrectly. It may be rotated wrong too. The flickering could be many things, could be a bad ground if you're running a relay harness, which you should, or it could be a bad connection, bad bulb, bad ballast. Lots of things will cause flickering.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my xentec kit in my retro's does that flicker in the video. i got a new harness in today, going to swap it on hopefully friday and see if that helps. my ddm kit had no flicker at all, whatsoever. if this harness doesn't help i'm switching back to the ddm kit i had. but as stated, it could be a lot of things. harness is underrated. i've had multiple harnesses and i still feel the best one i had was the first one i bought from mobilhid.com, which no longer seems to be in the hid business.