Appearance Body Kits, Hoods, Wheels, Spoilers, Interiors

Installing Underglow, Any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 11:42 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Installing Underglow, Any tips?

Well i am going to attemp to install my underbody glow i got off ebay for like 99 cents last year. Any tips on how to mount, where to mount, how to wire it and how to get the wireing box thing into teh trunk?? thanks guys

BTW My car is black and the underbody glow is green
Old 02-08-2006, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mkulrey13
That should looks really nice. Though I don't have any solid advice for you, I would venture to guess "wire ties" are your friends...

Hope some one else has better advice for you and no one will crap the thread by saying "don't"

Good Luck!

-Rich
Old 02-08-2006, 11:51 AM

Make sure that there is no stress on the tube as you tighten it. It will break.

try the ger the tubes close the the frame of the car and hide them behind the natural shape of the underside.

Nothing worse than having the tubes easily visible as you are driving down.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Brian MP5T
Make sure that there is no stress on the tube as you tighten it. It will break.

try the ger the tubes close the the frame of the car and hide them behind the natural shape of the underside.

Nothing worse than having the tubes easily visible as you are driving down.
Good info.

Esp about making sure you cannot see them.

-Rich
Old 02-08-2006, 11:54 AM

Well i am going to attemp to install my underbody glow i got off ebay for like 99 cents last year. Any tips on how to mount, where to mount, how to wire it and how to get the wireing box thing into teh trunk?? thanks guys
tips? best tip....sell it and get your money back instead of having the constant hassle of cops and ridicule of other drivers. MHO
Old 02-08-2006, 12:03 PM

^^h8tr
Old 02-08-2006, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Rusty
tips? best tip....sell it and get your money back instead of having the constant hassle of cops and ridicule of other drivers. MHO

He is right... But if you want it do it!~ I mean you will get as many people, if not more, that will props you on the mod but some others with no life will ridicule you.

Oh and green neon would look nice underneath a black cobalt. I def agree with that.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:05 PM
Banned

i dont plan on using it while driving... + it isnt worth the 99 cents to hassle returning it... lol just to show to friends and at my girls cheerleading comps since there green and black :P. Also where do i mount and how do i screw it in do i need to drill wholes in the frame or what?
Old 02-08-2006, 12:29 PM

usually they have self taping screws with them. I've installed kits a few times before and you really have to make sure you hid the tubes to get the best appearance. If your car is not an SS you might be screwed as far as hiding them on the sides goes. Another tip i would give is to put the plastic mounting clips on the tube when installing. It seemed to me that it was much easier to install this way, then to put the tube in them after they are installed. Good Luck and BE CAREFUL with the tubes. they are pretty delicate.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:44 PM

well ive done this on my friends cobalt with a optx kit and was a pretty easy install, only tips i can give you is get the stongest drill bits you can find becasue the steel on these cars is very hard to drill thru and i broke 3 bits trying to get the holes made for the screws, and for power i think we just tapped into the stero fuse
Old 02-08-2006, 02:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm really surprised. When I opened this thread I was expecting 7 or 8 posts saying don't do it, instead of answering your question. Very Impressed with people today . Only one so far. Anyways, I'll see if I can get some pictures of where mine are installed tomorrow. I'm off to work now, So I won't be able to, but if you still need them, send me a PM to remind me and then I'll do it.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:10 PM
Banned

Well the kit i got tells me to wire to some box it gave me then wire it to teh battery... how do i get the box into teh trunk area so it dosent get wet? Also do i screw it to the frame? or can i screw it to the plastic on the side?and kinda tuck it under tehre?
Old 02-08-2006, 02:25 PM

Here is a picture of the side tube

Here are a couple pictures of the front. Remember the fact that these are all taken upside down.

This one, also of the front, is taken from in front of the car, on the ground, looking up.

This one below is on the back
Old 02-08-2006, 02:26 PM

the times i did it i put the boxand relay on either the frame or firewall... should be fine in those areas. why do you want these in your trunk?

as you can see from the pics above if you don't have rocker extensions then it could be hard to hide the side tubes.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:31 PM

i have neo blue on mine, and everyone thinks it looks sick. I drive an 05 arrival blue ss/sc, you def. need some kind of lift, or ramps. i used those $30 ramps you get at wallmart to change your oil, worked well, only thing you need is someone to help you on to them, wires ran easy, i placed the box thing under my hood, as i have led lights in the hoodliner to light up the engine at night, the front tube is a bitch, at least on the ss/sc, there really isnt a low place to put it so i mounted mine right on the metal part of the bumper, you can see it if you look up underneath there, the light still looks good, it shines through the front grill, well the lower one anyway, the back looks very good, as the bumper mount spot is lower, and it also does a nice job shining through the waffle grille stuff, its great for shows, and cruise-in type things at night, i have had nothing but compliments, i also have neons in my interior, next time i go home, for spring break, on the 24th, i will get some nightime pictures of everything lit up, my driverside tube is out, and i bought a replacement single for it, just havent had tome to figure out what is wrong with it, so i may end up taking the tube back, also, my tubes are filthy, so try to clean them once and a while with glass cleaner and a rag, or even car wash soap and a sponge, the grunge cuts the light output. Also, dont run any wires near the exhaust, they will melt easily, havent had it happen, but heard stories.... I also have one of those music interfaces too, so all of the lights flash with music, big hit at car shows....... any other questions let me know, and to the guy about the drill bits, i hear you man, i broke two, the screws street glow gives are like tiny, and tiny bits dont last long on hard metal....
Old 02-08-2006, 02:32 PM

those pics from timmy are exactly what mine looks like, same spots too, thats crazy..... lol
Old 02-08-2006, 02:39 PM
360 L337 User

Originally Posted by astrocrep
That should looks really nice. Though I don't have any solid advice for you, I would venture to guess "wire ties" are your friends...

Hope some one else has better advice for you and no one will crap the thread by saying "don't"

Good Luck!

-Rich

No problem.. best bet is to send the kit to me, and i'll install them on my car. then give you feedback and let you know.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:40 PM

haha, sweet. The front is my favorite. I'll put up a picture(if I remember) tonight. The way it lights the radiator is sweet. Anyways, I need to run to work now. Good luck. Once again, watch where you run wires as was said above. Also, make sure you don't block where you'll need to jack the car if you ever need to. Last thing you want to be doing on a cold dark street somewhere is get a flat tire and not be able to lift your car without breaking a tube. If your installing a LED set, make sure all the LEDs are facing downward. But also check out how my front set is. See how it's also facing the radiator. Bad ass glow from that. Later! and good luck!
Old 02-08-2006, 02:46 PM

i have 3 underbody neon bulbs off my celica the one brock when i bottomed out but i think im gonna spring for an led kit in the future but its not a priority right now i wnna go fast first then look good sittin still
Old 02-08-2006, 03:51 PM

Thumbs up

make sure your kit is made with leds because one rock hits the front one all of themwill go out
Old 02-08-2006, 04:03 PM

i have a multi-color on mine and much like timmo i have them in thouse sopts but i but the one on the back of the car as close as i could to the plastic vent like things in the rear bumper so when i turn them on they shine on the ground and through the little vent things...looks sick!!!!!! heres some picks of mine...

thats my black cobalt with the green on at night
https://www.cobaltss.net/gallery/sho...=3&userid=2992

heres the link to my pics with some other shots and colors on the car
https://www.cobaltss.net/gallery/bro...=3&userid=2992

if you have any more questions or need more pics PM me
Old 02-08-2006, 05:09 PM
Banned

Alright thanks guy anything else? also what aout the wires? how do i keep them up there and not sagging down?
Old 02-08-2006, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by NGalaxyTimmyo
Here is a picture of the side tube

Here are a couple pictures of the front. Remember the fact that these are all taken upside down.

This one, also of the front, is taken from in front of the car, on the ground, looking up.

This one below is on the back
got any pics with them on?
Old 02-08-2006, 08:38 PM

use black zip ties they work very good
Old 02-09-2006, 06:03 AM

damnit, I wanted to take some pics tonight. Oh well, maybe tomorrow night. I'm already all set for bed now. In fact, off I go...

Quick Reply: Installing Underglow, Any tips?