Appearance Body Kits, Hoods, Wheels, Spoilers, Interiors

Locking Glove Compartment

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Locking Glove Compartment

I did a search, however was unable to find anything remotely related. Has anyone found a way to install a lock for the glove compartment in a 09 cobalt ss/tc? I have my CPL and it would be really nice if I could lock the clip/ammo in it when I go out to dinner etc.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:37 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I was wondering this to for the same reason lol
Old 08-20-2012, 12:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ya really think a lock on a plastic door will slow them down at all.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:19 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sLAsh
Yes it will that's why they will leave it alone andmove on because they don't wanna get caught breaking into a car. If someone breaks in they wanna take something quick not sit andchill in the car. Stop trolling dude..
Old 08-20-2012, 01:43 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
bingo plus its not like they know somethings there. they want to smash a window grab some **** and leave not smash a window sit in the seat finger print everything trying to open a glove box to find out theres a manual soaked in coke thats unreadable and 18 thousand mcdonald napkains half unsused
Old 08-20-2012, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
bingo plus its not like they know somethings there. they want to smash a window grab some **** and leave not smash a window sit in the seat finger print everything trying to open a glove box to find out theres a manual soaked in coke thats unreadable and 18 thousand mcdonald napkains half unsused
Hmmmm - "Hey, that there thing is locked, I'll bet there be sumtin good in there!"

Assuming they got through your locked door without setting off the alarm, the three extra seconds its going to take to bust the glove box off won't make any difference.

Want it locked out of sight? Try the trunk
Old 08-20-2012, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts
OK i'm gonna go on a limb here and say there was never a lock option for our gloveboxes. perhaps it uses a similar mechanism as other chevy vehicles and you could swap out the handles or something? but... is it worth it? up to you.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:04 PM

I guess your thieves are neater. When they stole the radio out if my crx they tore the centre dash section out with a crowbar or something rather than take the time to undo stuff. After breaking the window I guess they weren't too worked about making noise Pretty sure a locked glove box might have piqued their interest.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:14 PM

sorry i had to i saw it on google lol
Old 08-20-2012, 10:01 PM

Im sure op wants the lock not so the clip doesnt get stolen but here in mi u need to lock up the gun when u go into a place that ur not supposed to bring it in.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:50 AM

I guess your thieves are neater. When they stole the radio out if my crx they tore the centre dash section out with a crowbar or something rather than take the time to undo stuff. After breaking the window I guess they weren't too worked about making noise Pretty sure a locked glove box might have piqued their interest.
That happened in my 02 si. They took the whole center part of the dash my DVD player was bolted into. Cut the wires and took hvac controls with them as well. And I have my acclaimed here in OK and got lucky they left my pistol under the seat alone. The pretty much smashed and grabbed. For what its worth my buddy has a Saturn sky and the dash is shaped similar and it has a locking glovebox cause its a convertible that may be a star.then again I couldn't tell you if its anything close to ours cause its bee a while since I've been in his car.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:53 AM

CCL NOT acclaimed damn autocorrect on my phone!
Old 08-21-2012, 09:52 AM
Banned

They would just rip the **** out of it to open it.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:28 AM

I personally never leave my gun in the car to get stolen always keep it on me heh hows it going to help ya out when your walkin back to your car?? oh wait let them steal your gun and use it on you...not smart
Old 08-21-2012, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts
also if someone comes up to rob you while ur in ur car, say on the street, you need to take ur key out the ignition, unlock it and grab ur gun. by that time ur fucked
Old 08-21-2012, 11:46 AM

Does everyone in the US just carry guns around all the time????
Thats a scary thought. Next time I visit, maybe I'll get a gun so I can ward off a robber with a gun trying to steal my gun.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by acoutu
Does everyone in the US just carry guns around all the time????
Thats a scary thought. Next time I visit, maybe I'll get a gun so I can ward off a robber with a gun trying to steal my gun.

uneducated id10t! not all states have concealed carry licenses and you need to do some research/reading before making stupid comments like that. there are requirements,laws, classes. plus you have to pass a background check as well. these are legally owned guns in the hands of legal citizens that lawfully posess and carry them. we dont just open a box of cracker jacks and find one in there. Damn i swear everyone is scared of firearms and assume that the second a person handles one they have some sudden urge to go out and do bad things like murder and rob people. also if you look statistically most of the major cities that have bans on guns have higher rates of crime. afterall if you were a criminal and you know people can't have a gun, what you got to worry about? Bad people will do bad things reguardless. they will always find a method and taking guns away from law abiding citizens solves what exactly? criminals will still aquire them. sorry about the rant. ive had my ccl for 7 years now and have never had to use it, however i want to have the ability to protect my family should the need arrise. I did not get my ccl with the thought of oh goodie oh goodie i get to carry a gun around, that would be pointless because it is a concealed carry which means if anyone sees you have it you get in trouble.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:14 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by joezombies
uneducated id10t! not all states have concealed carry licenses and you need to do some research/reading before making stupid comments like that. ....
chill dude - it was a joke.

sheesh.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:16 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
u guys all realize the OP has yet to reply so theres a good chance he has determined all replies up to this point are useless and stupid (i would concur and include my own comments in said statement)

I can understand why a comment like that can get to you but at the same time reading thru the thread and seeing absolutely nothing of value i wouldnt expect comment 16 to all of a sudden be serious, especially with the xibit troll pic at the end
Old 08-22-2012, 02:59 AM

Lmao
Old 08-22-2012, 09:12 AM

Wish we had a bigger console....

Console Vault Detail
http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com...ult-p-570.html

a second idea is to get a luggage box and bolt it through the floor under the passenger seat. my uncle did this and had great success. Unless they want to climb under the car or cut it out, they are out of luck.

Something like this just thinner?
Aries Automotive - ARIES SECURITY BOX
Old 08-22-2012, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Switt23
Wish we had a bigger console....

Console Vault Detail
http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com...ult-p-570.html

a second idea is to get a luggage box and bolt it through the floor under the passenger seat. my uncle did this and had great success. Unless they want to climb under the car or cut it out, they are out of luck.

Something like this just thinner?
Aries Automotive - ARIES SECURITY BOX
That console vault would have been perfect! Well now that I know we cant simply get a lock for the glove box, maybe looking for a slimmer Aries Box will be the next option. Thank you Switt
Old 08-22-2012, 10:26 AM

Subd, I'd be interested in an easy direct replacement as well.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:28 AM

No problem man. I invision a small suitcase looking box that has 90 degree flanges welded to the bottom. You could sink a bolt through the floor like the acutal seat does. Then all you have to do is move the passenger seat forward and pop the case open to access what you need. Same could be done for the driver side if you needed a lot of "storage"
Old 08-22-2012, 10:42 AM
Platinum Member

if it is not possible to lock the console, I'm guessing there would be a way to mount a lock box under the drivers/passenger seat. It would be concealed and lockable. Plus you could just use existing holes (seat rails) to mount the box to.

Quick Reply: Locking Glove Compartment