Appearance Body Kits, Hoods, Wheels, Spoilers, Interiors

Morimoto HID kit, bulb size - Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Morimoto HID kit, bulb size - Help

I have a 2006 SC and I wanna get the Morimoto HID kit off of buyHIDS. Idk what bulb size to get... on the top of the site it says "bulb guide CLICK ME"... and the site it takes me to says bulb size for the 2006 is the 9007 for the high and low beam headlamp and H11 for the fog/driving light.

But for the morimoto kit, there is no "9007" option. Is there another size that'll fit also? I'm such a noob with HIDs, never had them before and idk what I'm doing. I read the stickied HID guide but it didn't say anything about bulb sizes I don't think.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Our cars are 9007, But I am VERY Hesitant to tell you that.... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do NOT put HID's in stock reflector housings. If you want HID's to "look cool" You're doing it for the wrong purpose, HID's in stock housings have WORSE output than stock halogens and are VERY blinding to other drivers. Please take my advice on that...
Old 12-09-2012, 08:58 PM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
do a retrofit set up or get some aftermarket headlamps to put hid in.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:09 PM

How easy is it to assemble the DIY retro kit from that site then?
And its not really about looking cool... currently running with just my fog lights produces more light than the stock headlights. Can't see **** with em.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:10 PM

You're better off with stock bulbs than hid's in stock housings.

The Mini H1 Install is as easy as 1-2-3.

Here:

How To: MiniH1 Retrofits
Old 12-15-2012, 04:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mine in stock housings. the glare to the right is a reflection off a puddle.

they have better output then the halogens.

its the fog lights that create the glare, when i turn them on the whole wall lights up.

and yes these lights have a blue tint... i got sent the wrong kit, i asked for 5000k... but thats what you get when you buy a $30 kit off ebay no flickering at all tho in both fogs and headlights.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:23 PM
Premium Member

^and everybody in your town hates you
Old 12-15-2012, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by drumrush
^and everybody in your town hates you
Long hurr dont curr, lol my hhr Ss is on ddm hid and lights The world, ppl should Get limo tint like me :-)
Or they can move Out of The fast Lane for Going slow
Old 12-15-2012, 06:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
everybody in my town has hids in stockers so theres no hate here. there have been a number of times where a car coming down the road is blinding me and they have projectors. so i dont see what the big deal is.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:00 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by CannonBalt
Our cars are 9007, But I am VERY Hesitant to tell you that.... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do NOT put HID's in stock reflector housings. If you want HID's to "look cool" You're doing it for the wrong purpose, HID's in stock housings have WORSE output than stock halogens and are VERY blinding to other drivers. Please take my advice on that...
Here it goes!

This is typical brainwasher HID hater post. HIDs in stock housings are over 3x brighter than halogens. I know this because I just put halogen Silverstars in for inspection, and they ******* SUCK. My 6000k 55w HIDs are an incredible difference, and i NEVER NEVER NEVER get flashed. (I have retros as well but had some wiring issues, and kept losing high beam, needed something realiable for when my fiance commutes)

I just dont understand how you could EVER say that they arent bright....LOL Even Mike from BUYHIDS says they are fine in stock housings.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:34 PM

I'm sure the BuyHID bi-xenon bulbs are better because the capsule is closer to the focal point and their bulbs "tilt" while DDM Tuning's bi-xenon bulbs just telescope in and out. When I had a 35 Watt bi-xenon DDM Tuning kit in my stock headlights, the high beams were a joke. The cut-off, what there was of it, was more of a frown with a shitload of foreground light. Also, the glare was enough to **** people off. In fact, I got highbeamed from 3 cars in a row one morning. When you get flashed at by a semi, then there's obviously too much glare. As for the high beams.... All it did was turn the frowning cutoff into a smiling cutoff and shifted some of the foreground lighting forward a bit. There was no change in the middle. So I can see the sides perfectly, but NO DISTANCE!!!! Then I had a ballast quit on me and had to put the halogens back in. I received a new ballast from DDM Tuning and put the HIDs back in because I couldn't live without the extra light for low beam use, however I was disappointed that my halogens actually had more distance than my HID kit had on high beam. I figured, at that point, it was time to retrofit. The Mini H1s WAY better than the HID kit I had, by far! I eventually ordered the 5.0 foreground limiters for them and tweaked with the bulb so the hotspot is mostly in the high beam area. What an improvement! So yeah, the Mini H1 is a good projector for what they're worth. They're definitely not the best though, but they are definitely better than stock.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:46 PM

If your gettin blinded then dont look at the light
Old 12-15-2012, 09:16 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have DDM 55w kit with no high beam, works great, I will agree, output pattern is stupid, I miss the flat cutoff alot, but these still do great.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:05 AM

I notice my halogen bulbs are less bright than other cars.. Why? Are mine aimed wrong? I got yellow 3000k hid in my foods and they are brighter than My halogen bulbs lol
Old 12-24-2012, 07:37 PM

So currently doing the retrofit.... can't get my lens separated. All the clips have broken so far and the plastic or whatever material that the housing is made of just turns to dust basically... Do i need to get a new pair of headlights. Has anybody else had that problem?
I mean... yeah, it is 7 years old and I'm finally doing retrofits... but still, the headlights shouldn't just be falling apart like that
Old 12-24-2012, 07:44 PM
Got Brakes?
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You ... are baking them, right? Tell me you're not just trying to pry them apart. please. even if you're lying about it.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:03 PM

^this. If you aren't it is recommended to put one in the oven for about 10 minutes at about 225 degrees. And then put the other in while you're trying to take apart the one you just baked.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:15 PM
AWD > FWD

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrewjw09
So currently doing the retrofit.... can't get my lens separated. All the clips have broken so far and the plastic or whatever material that the housing is made of just turns to dust basically... Do i need to get a new pair of headlights. Has anybody else had that problem?
I mean... yeah, it is 7 years old and I'm finally doing retrofits... but still, the headlights shouldn't just be falling apart like that
as said above, make sure you are using plenty of heat. Also don't use something skinny like a flat blade screwdriver, try to find something wider that will apply pressure over a larger surface area, like a small putty knife, needs to be a pretty stiff blade though. The housing will need to be pretty hot first, so make sure you wear gloves or have a high tolerance for paint because plastic at 225* can be pretty hot to the touch. You'll need to repeat heating them up every few minutes, maybe 5 min apart or so, as the glue will cool off faster than you can get the whole housing apart.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:54 PM

Yeah, I baked them. Plenty of times... it's just that the plastic is just falling apart... turning to dust. I can literally scrape of a small chunk with my fingernail without barely using any pressure. The best way I can describe it is like a danish cookie.... crumbs just falling off like nothing.

When I took the headlights out of the car there was so much white dust all over behind them. They're just old as **** I think =/
Old 12-24-2012, 09:33 PM

Just gonna order new headlights off amazon. In the meantime... can I put these HIDs in my stock housing until then? Or will they not fit because they're H1 size bulbs? Are H1s only meant to go in the H1 projectors?
Old 12-24-2012, 09:50 PM
AWD > FWD

they will not fit because the base of the bulb is different.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:06 PM

Will the projectors fit in these?

Chevy Cobalt Headights OE Style Replacement Headlamps Driver/Passenger Pair New : Amazon.com : Automotive Chevy Cobalt Headights OE Style Replacement Headlamps Driver/Passenger Pair New : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old 12-26-2012, 04:44 PM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
I'm assuming you got the morimoto mini h1 projectors? theres a how to around here, they will fit with or without the 9007 adapter plate. I have my mini h1 connected without the 9007 adapter plate had to do some trimming, but no movement with them yet on denvers wonderfully unsmooth roads.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:56 PM

Yeah I got the morimoto mini h1s. I do have the 9007 harness. That's not the question tho. I had to order new headlights. I got them off amazon for 75. They're not GM it just says "OE style replacement". I know the mini h1s fit perfectly in the stock headlights but I was just wondering if anyone knew if that retrofit kit would fit in the ones I ordered in that link...

I'm guessing someone on this forum bought them before cuz they're the cheapest replacements you can find on amazon :/ Just wanna know how close to stock are they.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:40 AM
AWD > FWD

Originally Posted by Andrewjw09
Yeah I got the morimoto mini h1s. I do have the 9007 harness. That's not the question tho. I had to order new headlights. I got them off amazon for 75. They're not GM it just says "OE style replacement". I know the mini h1s fit perfectly in the stock headlights but I was just wondering if anyone knew if that retrofit kit would fit in the ones I ordered in that link...

I'm guessing someone on this forum bought them before cuz they're the cheapest replacements you can find on amazon :/ Just wanna know how close to stock are they.
yes they will fit fine, all of the replicas have the same dimensions of the stock headlights. They won't be any smaller/shaped any differently than stock.

Quick Reply: Morimoto HID kit, bulb size - Help