Appearance Body Kits, Hoods, Wheels, Spoilers, Interiors

read deck mod?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
read deck mod?

so i want to modify the rear deck so the speakers are showing and not hidden under our ugly cloth like crap. want to raise them a bit and re-cover them in appropriate speaker cloth with a LED strip inside each. any easy way to go about cutting the holes out and raising the speakers? any help and input is much appreciated
Old 06-12-2012, 09:27 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
not really. and u should support them somehow as well. oh and they will sound worse too
Old 06-13-2012, 06:46 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Are they aftermarket speakers you'd want to show off? or the shitty looking stockers? and yeah they'd sound worse to..

but if you must, just use a very sharp razor to cut the cloth
Old 06-13-2012, 09:16 PM

that area is actually reinfoced by metal ud have to cut
Old 06-13-2012, 09:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Would carbon fiber skinning the rear deck lid affect sound quality a lot?
Old 06-13-2012, 09:56 PM

? u mean covering the rear deck in carbon fiber. real or vinyl?
Old 06-13-2012, 11:41 PM

Real carbon
Old 06-14-2012, 12:08 AM

explain how they would sound worse? i dont plan attaching them directly to the deck lid if thats what your getting at. i plan on using MDF to support them and keep them attached to their original mounts, just with longer screws. yes its the shitty looking stockers, but like i said, im going re-cover them with speaker fabric.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by C_A_D88
Real carbon
are u moving the speakers? if no then in theory it should improve the sound quality by re-enforcing that cover. only problem i see is possibly getting it back in the car. covered in CF it would be pretty stiff and it might need to flex to fit properly. it might not but idk. ud def have to have all of the rear gutted to fit it in
Old 06-14-2012, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by TheSlowGT
explain how they would sound worse? i dont plan attaching them directly to the deck lid if thats what your getting at. i plan on using MDF to support them and keep them attached to their original mounts, just with longer screws. yes its the shitty looking stockers, but like i said, im going re-cover them with speaker fabric.
because ud be going from a shitty free air to a shittier free air. unless ur building a fully sealed box 99% chance they are going to sound worse. just acoustics
Old 06-14-2012, 12:56 AM

so what your saying is that the stockers have shitty acoustics to begin with, than doing what i plan on doing is going to give em shittier acoustics? personally, i think any speakers pointed directly at a piece of glass are going to have poor acoustics regardless of their location.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:20 AM

its a combination of things but the most important factor is that the rear wave is going to be less seperated from the front and mounting them on the deck cover will vibrate more over the metal. both will lower volume and overall quality.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
are u moving the speakers? if no then in theory it should improve the sound quality by re-enforcing that cover. only problem i see is possibly getting it back in the car. covered in CF it would be pretty stiff and it might need to flex to fit properly. it might not but idk. ud def have to have all of the rear gutted to fit it in
Yea rear will be gutted
Old 06-14-2012, 11:58 AM

its a combination of things but the most important factor is that the rear wave is going to be less seperated from the front and mounting them on the deck cover will vibrate more over the metal. both will lower volume and overall quality.
meh, gonna give it try, if i dont like it, and everything your saying happens, ill just re-wrap the deck and call it a day. i am having my friend who does this **** for a living help out so i guess we'll wait and see.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts
basically it will sound worse because right now having a lip over them gives them 'acoustics'

so if __ is the top of the woofer cone, having a lip like |__| is better than ___----___ if that makes snese

also sorry but i think it would look shitty that way
Old 06-14-2012, 12:26 PM

like i said, im having my friend who does this **** for a living help me. he install everything electrical into almost any car you can think of. he knows what he's talking about and how to go about things. if it doesnt work out the way im imagining it, i'll re-wrap the deck and put it all back as it was. easy enough.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by TheSlowGT
like i said, im having my friend who does this **** for a living help me. he install everything electrical into almost any car you can think of. he knows what he's talking about and how to go about things. if it doesnt work out the way im imagining it, i'll re-wrap the deck and put it all back as it was. easy enough.
Have fun with that, hopefully your buddy is right.

Personally speaking, I think you *COULD* cut the speakers shape out of the lid, and then adhere some foam material to the bottom around the outline. That would give your deck lid much needed support and would give your audio a straight shot without interference into the cabin. I think that's a better idea and is realistic while giving you the appearance you're wanting anyway.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:01 PM

so i decided to **** around with this theory of the acoustics today. lid on, full blast as a base test. took the lid off, full blast (same song) no difference. raised the speakers a half inch, fully bolted, full blast again. didnt notice anything. no rattling, no wierd overtones or anything else of that matter. so either this rule of the acoustics is so minimal its not noticeable, or it depends on the speakers and actual placement in the vehicle.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:45 PM

half an inch? how did you manage that? if ur bolting them to the rear deck cover they are going up further then half an inch.

If you going to do it anyway what id recommend is to build a box for them. make it out of 1/2 mdf or even fiberglass. That way ull have all the support ull need for the speakers and if you make the box big enough (full lenght of the rear deck) you may even slightly improve the sound.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd listen to him^

Cause he does that **** for a living too
Old 06-14-2012, 11:20 PM

I did this project in mine last year. got a scrap cars rear deck cover, cut out the speaker holes, put in the aftermarket 6x9
mounting brackets on top of the deck, fiber glassed the whole thing.

I noticed an improvement in sound quality though minimal, but I also had the 6x9 tilted slightly towards the front.
Had to flex it to get it into place, but I left the siding in place so if you remove that it may just slide in.
I liked the look of it since it flowed well and the headrest and baby seat holes were gone, but I went back to stock a few
months ago because the speaker reflection in the rear view pissed me off.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:42 PM

half an inch? how did you manage that? if ur bolting them to the rear deck cover they are going up further then half an inch.

If you going to do it anyway what id recommend is to build a box for them. make it out of 1/2 mdf or even fiberglass. That way ull have all the support ull need for the speakers and if you make the box big enough (full lenght of the rear deck) you may even slightly improve the sound.
i made a ring of mdf that matches the the frame of the speaker. i drilled holes to match the original holes and had purchased longer screws. this way the peakers are still attached to the actual car, not the rear deck
Old 06-15-2012, 02:25 AM

right i know how you did it but i cant see the rear deck being only half an inch higher. If that's all your doing then your spot on there shouldn't be any audible difference assuming they are sealed not rigged

Originally Posted by 06_cobalt
I'd listen to him^

Cause he does that **** for a living too

used to. sadly the shop i worked at closed just over a year ago. im no longer doing anything related with audio or cars at all
Old 06-16-2012, 01:32 AM

right i know how you did it but i cant see the rear deck being only half an inch higher. If that's all your doing then your spot on there shouldn't be any audible difference assuming they are sealed not rigged

used to. sadly the shop i worked at closed just over a year ago. im no longer doing anything related with audio or cars at all
exactly. i think i had left that part out at the start. dude that really blows... sorry to hear it :/
Old 06-19-2012, 11:47 AM

so totally changed my plan of attack on this and went a much simpler route for the look i was going for i had acquired some pioneer 9x6 speaker covers. painted them black on the top and silver underneath. covered them in black speaker cloth. had cut out the holes in the deck lid. mounted the covers to the lid by screwing in from underneath the lid. made sure my wiring and everything was good before turning on the finished product. made this from a headache of a project to a piece of cake. total time, 1.5 hours(fresh air and water breaks due to about 90% humidity and two spotlights pointing into the car lol)

Quick Reply: read deck mod?