Appearance Body Kits, Hoods, Wheels, Spoilers, Interiors

What to do

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 12:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do

Hey guys I currently own my 06 SS and live in the worst state to own a car, MI lol. I have had the car since 08 and the body no matter what I do just seems to keep getting worst. Currently I have a nice chunk on my drivers side door where the paint is missing and now there is obvious rust forming. Also inside of my drivers side door at the bottom of the door where it meets the rocker panel all the paint is gone and that is all rusted as well all the way across the bottom. Then finally on my passengers side door I have a small spot as well where the paint came off and now it is bare metal exposed. No rust yet thankfully. I currently am a firefighter/EMT here so I need my car 24/7. Also yes unfortunately guys I have drove her in the winter I apologize.

So the dilema is what should I do. Is this a easy fix I can do myself or will this require a lot of time and money. I had this work quoted at a chevy dealer and they wanted just under $600 for the drivers door and about 400 for the passenger door. They told me it was so much because both doors had to be completely repainted. Someone out there please help me out. I am trying to get my car back in good condition like she was the day I bought her. Also I am looking to trade her in for a TC/SS. Here are pics below.

This is the drivers side door

This is the bottom of the drivers door

Here is one pic of the passenger door

Here is a closeup of the passenger door
Old 05-28-2012, 12:36 AM
Banned

if you wanna trade it i'd just say fk it and let it go. but that's about right on the prices you got that paint is bad haha. could try taking it to other body shops but if you're keeping the car do it right.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:39 AM

Well I was wondering. Could I dremel out the rust and a area around the rust so it is all metal. Then tape it off and use GM color match paint in a spray can form and paint it. Then finally buff the whole thing out so it looks smooth. Do you think that would match or standout like a sore thumb?
Old 05-28-2012, 12:41 AM
Banned

if it's done right it won't be bad, but it will be a lot of work to do right. prob have to take the door off, sand it down, cut out the rusted part, weld back on, smooth, prep, paint etc. i'm no expert by any means but i've seen plenty of hondas get done
Old 05-28-2012, 12:43 AM

Noo need to cut anything from the door unless its really bad....just sand the area around the rust till theres bare metal..put some bondo on..if its gonna be uneven..then smooth that out..prep and paint.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:44 AM

Do you guys agree that the spray can would be better than the touch up pen or brush? Also Sir Hiro were you refering to bondo the bottom of the door after I sand the whole thing. Or was that for the exterior part of the drivers door?
Old 05-28-2012, 01:07 AM

bump
Old 05-28-2012, 10:38 AM

bump
Old 05-28-2012, 12:03 PM

I thought u said tjere was rust on the door...no need for bondo then...butt the rockers sand them down and spary em