Appearance Body Kits, Hoods, Wheels, Spoilers, Interiors
View Poll Results: interested in front and rear tow hooks?
yes
45.19%
no
54.81%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

who would be interested in tow hooks?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 213 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackalope
I didn't remember Cobalts breaking down enough to warrent a tow hook mod, has something changed since I got rid of mine?
read earlier pages in this thread, not all about breaking down

Originally Posted by turbod ss
yes. the front is done. should have the back on soon as well.
pictures? or waiting till back is done as well? when shall back be finished? im interested mainly in front only.

Last edited by 07MetallicSC; 11-30-2009 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-30-2009, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 07MetallicSC
read earlier pages in this thread, not all about breaking down

pictures? or waiting till back is done as well? when shall back be finished? im interested mainly in front only.
i waiting to have front and back done to post pics.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:24 PM

good news!! ill have pics up by the end of the week!!!
Old 12-02-2009, 09:27 PM

i know a friend that has one already on his g5...look him up on here or g5club...his s/n is white G5
Old 12-02-2009, 09:28 PM

im all in for a rear one
Old 12-02-2009, 09:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by northvibe
When you slide/crash off the road on the course. They need to tow your ass off the track ASAP so the racing can continue. You think the tow truck guys want to dick around tying a hook to your frame? or have the liability of what happens ghetto rigging it? a tow hook on a track car makes it easy and fast to tow the car off quickly.

Lets stop this jdm ****, this isnt a thread about jap cars. Jfc you guys act like 16 yr old honda owners.
After reading this post, I no longer think tow hooks are a dumb idea. Being able to quickly be towed on the track was the only way I could think of these as being useful without someone clearly explaining it to me. If you are going to the track then yes they do have a useful function. If all you do is go to local car meets with a tow hook on your car to "LOOK like you go to the track", and your car is a "wicked fast race car" then its pretty ghey.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:15 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
yeah I was at a time attack redline event this past summer in IL and there were like at least 4 nice cars that slid off the course and had to get towed on a bed. 1 even crashed...idk but I wouldnt want my large investment broke
Old 12-03-2009, 11:04 AM

yea its never fun being yanked out of a ditch and them making more damage then there already was.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:09 AM

cant wait for them any ideas on colors
Old 12-03-2009, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by DEZZIE41
cant wait for them any ideas on colors
that im not totally sure. let me know what colors your interested in and i can tell them.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:26 AM

gm black gm rally yellow for m e
Old 12-03-2009, 11:36 AM

ok. i can tell them and see what they say.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:44 AM

kool;
Old 12-03-2009, 11:55 AM

I'm kinda new to the twisty racing thing so I'm not familiar with this concept, but what are people willing to spend on a tow hook and how much weight are they willing to add to the car to have this accessory? I don't see why a system couldn't be made that would go all the way UNDER the car, hook over the axles, have a pad that would position under the front cross member and extend out far enough with a D ring to hook up to a tow hook. Make it in a 'V" shape, with the ends of the "V" hooking OVER the axles, pads at the mid point on the "Vs" and a "D" ring at the fulcrum of the "V". It could be made to FOLD at the fuldrum and be made of aluminum. It would be totally removable, wouldn't have to be pretty. It could be light enough to bungee down in the trunk. Or even screw down like a spare tire. This design could be made to work on either end if designed right.

Something like this could be made at home with a band saw and drill press.

Just my thoughts.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

wut.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by buellfooll
I'm kinda new to the twisty racing thing so I'm not familiar with this concept, but what are people willing to spend on a tow hook and how much weight are they willing to add to the car to have this accessory? I don't see why a system couldn't be made that would go all the way UNDER the car, hook over the axles, have a pad that would position under the front cross member and extend out far enough with a D ring to hook up to a tow hook. Make it in a 'V" shape, with the ends of the "V" hooking OVER the axles, pads at the mid point on the "Vs" and a "D" ring at the fulcrum of the "V". It could be made to FOLD at the fuldrum and be made of aluminum. It would be totally removable, wouldn't have to be pretty. It could be light enough to bungee down in the trunk. Or even screw down like a spare tire. This design could be made to work on either end if designed right.

Something like this could be made at home with a band saw and drill press.

Just my thoughts.
no offense but that sounds like the most complicated thing ever! plus what happens when the pads wear out? a tow hook weighs maybe a pound with all hardware. not gonna make a huge difference in ur lap times.
plus with that system if you went off the track then you would have to get that out of the trunk and hook it up and then get towed. guys at the track arent really wanting to wait for you to hook up ten different things to get towed. they see a tow hook, they hook up the strap, yank you out, tow you back in if needed and thats it.

Last edited by turbod ss; 12-03-2009 at 04:39 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by turbod ss
no offense but that sounds like the most complicated thing ever! plus what happens when the pads where out? a tow hook weighs maybe a pound with all hardware. not gonna make a huge difference in ur lap times.
plus with that system if you went off the track then you would have to get that out of the trunk and hook it up and then get towed. guys at the track arent really wanting to wait for you to hook up ten different things to get towed. they see a tow hook, they hook up the strap, yank you out, tow you back in if needed and thats it.
It's not complicated at all. Maybe for you. A total of 5 pieces of aluminum 2 bolts and 2 pip pins. can't be much simpler than that. Rubber pads like on your floor jack. If you wear them out you better find a new use for your car because you're spending way too much time off the course. ONE POUND and you're going to tow a car with it, out of the mud. You've got to get much more serious than that. Your car maybe. Not mine. Plus there are a lot of guys on here that don't want an ugly hook sticking out the front of the car and punching holes in things when you forget you have it there. I just offered an alternative that would be capable of actually lifting the wheels off the ground by a wrecker if need be, either end, in the case of drive line damage when the wheels don't turn. Installing it would require you to hang two arms over the axles. Bingo.

Good luck. I'm gone.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

punching holes in things ?! wtf
Old 12-03-2009, 11:03 PM

Wow, someone got their panties in a bunch...

Umm, 1 lb of aluminum, hooked to the FRAME of your car. Can't get much simpler than that. Oh, and if that doesn't work, go present your idea to all the race teams out there, and racecar manufacturers.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by buellfooll
It's not complicated at all. Maybe for you. A total of 5 pieces of aluminum 2 bolts and 2 pip pins. can't be much simpler than that. Rubber pads like on your floor jack. If you wear them out you better find a new use for your car because you're spending way too much time off the course. ONE POUND and you're going to tow a car with it, out of the mud. You've got to get much more serious than that. Your car maybe. Not mine. Plus there are a lot of guys on here that don't want an ugly hook sticking out the front of the car and punching holes in things when you forget you have it there. I just offered an alternative that would be capable of actually lifting the wheels off the ground by a wrecker if need be, either end, in the case of drive line damage when the wheels don't turn. Installing it would require you to hang two arms over the axles. Bingo.

Good luck. I'm gone.

Have you ever been to a track? if you slide off a track you usually arent able to climb under your car to hook something to the control arms or where ever you wanna hook this idea up to. plus there wont be any punch holes in anything. and really ONE POUND!!!! that wasnt a joke. do you really think you need something that weighs 100lbs to pull you out of something? have you ever tried to bend a stainless steel bolt? it dosent work to well. and what does that weigh maybe 3oz.
this tow is a simple idea for when you go to the track to put on and take off when your done there.

Good luck with your idea. I'm out lol.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

ahhh the suspense is killing me!!! lol
Old 12-04-2009, 03:29 PM

how is this thing coming along?? im really interested!! i cant wait to see what it looks like...
Old 12-04-2009, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by fshizl
how is this thing coming along?? im really interested!! i cant wait to see what it looks like...
they are coming great. i should have them up on monday. the guy that was suppose to give the set to me today went hunting this weekend. so i will have them on monday.
there going to be the raw version of them. but it will still give an idea of them.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:23 PM

Wonder if these will it an IRL?
Old 12-05-2009, 01:07 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
if you have the same bumper frame brace and gap in your front fascia then maybe.

Quick Reply: who would be interested in tow hooks?