Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   Autocross and Road Racing (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/autocross-road-racing-53/)
-   -   Genuine powell race parts: Trap door oil pan for racing and autox (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/autocross-road-racing-53/genuine-powell-race-parts-trap-door-oil-pan-racing-autox-260436/)

Powell Race Parts 09-07-2011 04:00 PM

Genuine powell race parts: Trap door oil pan for racing and autox

LNF and LSJ.
Stock pan:
http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/a...ril2006025.jpg

Trap door fabricated pan:
http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/a...e/DSCF1725.jpg

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/a...e/DSCF1729.jpg

No two pans are exactly the same, they are hand made, but the configuration remains the same for all.

Cobalts have a wet sump pan, the LE5 pan is superior to LSJ for slosh control, but sustained hi g cornering, braking and especially sudden elevation changes followed by braking can cause oil starvation at the oil pick up and catastrophic engine failure. The trap doors permit oil to flow easily in to the pickup, but keeps a head of oil at the pickup

This hand crafted race modified pan I expect to be priced under $300, the issue really is what to do about core pan returns ( or lack of return ) and the shipping costs. Until we have a strategy for that, (mid September) I cant say what the final price will be. We will have two pans in stock at all times, as we do now.

scottherbert 09-08-2011 12:20 PM

John:

Is the oil capacity still 5 qts, or did (or can) you go back to the 7 or 6 qt pans of the earlier LSJ motors? I'd really like to have a 7 qt capacity if I had the option. I had an 04 LSJ Redline with a 7 qt capacity, an 06 Redline with 6 qts, and my 09 LNF Cobalt only has 5 qts aboard (at least according to the specs). I'm of the opinion that more oil is better than less -- I'll pay for another couple qts...

I'm interested regardless. I've been worrying about oil starvation for some time.

Thanks, Scott Herbert

NWAE Cobalt 09-08-2011 12:25 PM

is this something that should be of concern for 2.2's? and if so, is it an option for us as well?

Wangspeed 09-09-2011 07:02 PM

Awesome. Glad to see you are going to start offering these!

agita_san 09-09-2011 08:19 PM

I'd like to see these available for the 2.2 as well...

Powell Race Parts 09-09-2011 08:53 PM

it is. no problem. cheers

CTFinestTurbo 09-09-2011 09:57 PM

powell race shop is the king!!!!lol thanks for everything you guys have done for the community

tommyk 11-05-2011 02:45 PM

Just curious, could you install something to monitor oil temperature in the new pan? I realize we would need a gauge to hook it too, but I would be _very_ interested in grabbing one of these if this could happen.

NWAE Cobalt 11-05-2011 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by tommyk (Post 6135985)
Just curious, could you install something to monitor oil temperature in the new pan? I realize we would need a gauge to hook it too, but I would be _very_ interested in grabbing one of these if this could happen.

You could drill and tap a bung in here for any oil tempature gauge if they cannot. Pretty simple. Other option is to install it in the engine so you get actual operating temps of the oil rather then cooled off temps (after running through cooler and making back to the pan) A good place to drop on is in the drivers side of the head in one of the empty oil gallies.

outtamymind 11-05-2011 03:02 PM

hmm some new mods to add to my list

Jrg77 12-29-2014 09:24 PM

7 Qt. pan on an LNF??

Would it fit without interference, and is there enough material to warrant the welding changes? If so I get to go on a scavenger hunt.
Also need to know what I am looking for (special shape, protrusion, part number, etc....)

Bass_Waves 12-29-2014 10:20 PM

I'd have to send in my turbo swap pan then for lsj. Nifty idea though.
I do have 2 spare lsj pans if u desire

Omiotek 12-29-2014 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jrg77 (Post 7462936)
Would it fit without interference, and is there enough material to warrant the welding changes? If so I get to go on a scavenger hunt.
Also need to know what I am looking for (special shape, protrusion, part number, etc....)

buick pan fits no issue. its 6 qts I believe. but the cobalts an open hole between the crossmember so almost anything will fit

andrewcarr1993 12-30-2014 01:51 AM

Have one on my cobalt and it's a great part.

Powell Race Parts 12-30-2014 09:02 PM

the LNF dipstick tube is different diameter and the boss is a different height compared to LSJ Buick also. I dont recommend running the LSJ pan in an LNF but if you do a simple tube modfication takes care of this should you wish to run the LSJ pan. Somewhere on here I posted the differences. I can also say I paid the price of a rod bearing not running a trap door pan with YYZ springs. The lap times were stunningly fast corner speeds higher, all left the oil pickup gasping for air.

boom

stealthy1ss 12-30-2014 09:35 PM

I need one of these fancy things.

Jrg77 12-31-2014 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Powell Race Parts (Post 7463638)
the LNF dipstick tube is different diameter and the boss is a different height compared to LSJ Buick also. I dont recommend running the LSJ pan in an LNF but if you do a simple tube modfication takes care of this should you wish to run the LSJ pan. Somewhere on here I posted the differences. I can also say I paid the price of a rod bearing not running a trap door pan with YYZ springs. The lap times were stunningly fast corner speeds higher, all left the oil pickup gasping for air.

boom

Thanks for the response. I guess I got caught up in trying to get two-for-one... increased oil capacity and better oil control.
So modify an LNF pan and it can get the oil control stuff done.
Would an Accusump provide extra oil capacity? Is extra oil capacity needed/warranted for track day activities?

colodude18 12-31-2014 12:12 PM

I became a victim of oil starvation even before I got my YYZ springs, also on a track. Spun my rod and main bearings and wrote off a crank. I immediately installed Powell's oil pan after that.
As for adding oil capacity, I'll be installing a front mounted oil cooler in the next month or so. Mr. Belvedere on here supplied the flange you need to do that. (thread here: https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/adva...cooler-312659/) I'm expecting to add at least 3 quarts of oil with this setup, which is a nice side effect since I'm mainly installing it to curb my temps at the track.

Omiotek 01-01-2015 02:34 PM

Accusumps are usually bandaids. Before they engage a lot of times it's too late

jim murphy 02-06-2015 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Powell Race Parts (Post 7463638)

boom

I sent you a PM that I am interested in getting an oil pan upgraded for autox but I have not heard back from you.

Jim

andrewcarr1993 02-07-2015 04:19 AM

Just sent him a message for you.

mongorat427 02-07-2015 07:12 AM

I have a couple extra pans sitting here. One is new

Powell Race Parts 02-07-2015 08:48 AM

JIm I some how dont see an email from you. John@powellraceparts.com 175.00 exchange or maybe a little more no exchange as we are using new pans these days the fabricator complains about oil in the alloy when we use old cores to make new trap door pans...so...LNF or LSJ ? please specify . Cheers and thanks to Andrew Carr for letting me know you were asking, things are busy around here, I am not on here as much as usual

Foximus 02-15-2015 09:24 PM

I may have to get in on this for my next motor build. I have an LSJ pan just laying around I may have to send you this summer.

Viperoni 02-21-2015 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by colodude18 (Post 7463905)
I became a victim of oil starvation even before I got my YYZ springs, also on a track. Spun my rod and main bearings and wrote off a crank. I immediately installed Powell's oil pan after that.

That was going to be my next question - I'll be on 245/40/17 Rivals and AD08's on 8" wide rims, so it looks like I'll be in trouble on the road course too.
Doh.