ADVANCED Performance Modifications For advanced modification topics only.

Aftermarket front mount oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 03:11 PM

Received 171 Likes on 142 Posts
Aftermarket front mount oil cooler

Ever since I got my ZFR my coolant temps at the road track are out of control. I want to install a larger aftermarket air-to-oil cooler instead of the built-in heat exchanger/oil cooler.
I'm looking for recommendations or shared experiences.

I found some information on here but nothing very specific. My coolant temps quickly reach 230+ after a few hard laps and continue to rise unless I abort my session. Here's what I've done so far in my track setup/tune:

reduce boost from 26 to 20psi (remember I'm a 5,400 feet);
Both fans turn on high constantly at 190F and over;
purged any air bubbles from coolant circuit;
AC delete - mainly to improve air flow to radiator

I'm running the Mishimoto radiator and the (large) ZZP FMIC.

I like that an oil cooler has the added benefit of some additional oil in the system. (1-2 qts)
I'm aware of the functions the stock oil cooler performs in terms of heating up the oil quicker. This is not my DD so longer heat-up times are not an issue.

Next track day I will run 90% distilled water/10% coolant just to see what effect that has.
Might turn the boost down a little more although I really don't want to ;-)
Any other suggestions for keeping temps down?

Any big turbo guys that road track their cars that can share experiences?

Thanks guys,

Adrian
Old 09-05-2014, 04:12 PM

Bump.

Nobody??
Old 09-05-2014, 04:21 PM
Banned

Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts
*Crickets*
Old 09-05-2014, 05:25 PM

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts
I have ideas on how to do it but just a good derale cooler with ran will run you 250 bucks plus lines and all that jazz... A buddy of mine came up with the idea but it hasent been tested on a race track scenario yet but it will work I'm sure. It's on my life of things to do as well.
Old 09-06-2014, 01:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd ask ZZP what core they use on their bigger radiator, that's always an option even though then your Mishimoto radiator would be wasted money.
Old 09-06-2014, 01:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maybe a turbo blanket, improved air dam, larger/faster electric fans
Old 09-06-2014, 07:21 AM
South Central *********

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
Im doing one on mine. Welded -10 fittings to the stock oil cooler and routed to a ford oil cooler
Old 09-06-2014, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Omiotek
I have ideas on how to do it but just a good derale cooler with ran will run you 250 bucks plus lines and all that jazz... A buddy of mine came up with the idea but it hasent been tested on a race track scenario yet but it will work I'm sure. It's on my life of things to do as well.
I was also looking at a Derale, with a built in fan.

Originally Posted by andrewcarr1993
I'd ask ZZP what core they use on their bigger radiator, that's always an option even though then your Mishimoto radiator would be wasted money.
I had the ZZP radiator on my list of potential cooling mods, until <someone with authority on racing these cars> advised against it (don't wanna mention any names). Chinese core, mediocre fabrication, probably not worth the money, or any more effective than the Mishimoto...

Originally Posted by Gunney_07
maybe a turbo blanket, improved air dam, larger/faster electric fans
I'm still not sure how a turbo blanket helps except getting engine bay temps down. By isolating the turbo, and preventing it to "radiate" some of its heat out, won't it just get hotter, heating up the oil and coolant going through it even more??
I hadn't considered beefier fans. That actually does sound like a good option. Question is what's available that will fit without modification?

Originally Posted by JapEatr
Im doing one on mine. Welded -10 fittings to the stock oil cooler and routed to a ford oil cooler
I'd be interested to know more about this. Do you have components picked out yet? Is there an easier way besides welding? Is it possible to remove the stock oil cooler and attach lines going to the new one?
Old 09-06-2014, 02:44 PM

You want to get the biggest possible lines and cooler you can fit.

My idea and a few guys have done the original lsj piece but is to weld -10 or -12 lines and run a a short height long length and wide with cooler with 2 mini fans and a thermostat. You need to find a high pressure point in front of the car to force hair through. Some ducting would be beneficial too.
Old 09-06-2014, 03:14 PM
South Central *********

Originally Posted by colodude18
I was also looking at a Derale, with a built in fan.

I had the ZZP radiator on my list of potential cooling mods, until <someone with authority on racing these cars> advised against it (don't wanna mention any names). Chinese core, mediocre fabrication, probably not worth the money, or any more effective than the Mishimoto...

I'm still not sure how a turbo blanket helps except getting engine bay temps down. By isolating the turbo, and preventing it to "radiate" some of its heat out, won't it just get hotter, heating up the oil and coolant going through it even more??
I hadn't considered beefier fans. That actually does sound like a good option. Question is what's available that will fit without modification?

I'd be interested to know more about this. Do you have components picked out yet? Is there an easier way besides welding? Is it possible to remove the stock oil cooler and attach lines going to the new one?
Yes I have all the components... I have pics on FB and ARM Performance page'

I'll try to post some up here shortly
Old 09-06-2014, 05:20 PM

You want to get the biggest possible lines and cooler you can fit.

My idea and a few guys have done the original lsj piece but is to weld -10 or -12 lines and run a a short height long length and wide with cooler with 2 mini fans and a thermostat. You need to find a high pressure point in front of the car to force hair through. Some ducting would be beneficial too.
Well the good news is that with my AC delete, there's plenty of room in front of my radiator!
I was looking at this 15660 but it comes with only -8an lines... Would two of these in series be too crazy? lol

Yes I have all the components... I have pics on FB and ARM Performance page'
I'll try to post some up here shortly
Yeah that'd be awesome man! Or friend me on fb ==> Adrian van Ineveld
Old 09-06-2014, 08:11 PM

You don't need to. Track cars don't even run 2. You can easily by an adapter from the cooler threads to -10.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:35 PM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
You don't need to. Track cars don't even run 2. You can easily by an adapter from the cooler threads to -10.
This.

Adrian if you need help with the install let me know
Old 09-06-2014, 08:38 PM
South Central *********

There is no such thing as cooler threads
Old 09-06-2014, 09:43 PM

I wasn't really serious on running 2 of them lol
Thanks for all the input guys!
Eric I will probably need help with the install, unless I bring it in to Trent.
It'll be a while though. This semester's tuition for Renee is due next week
If it wasn't for that I could buy Cmiller's engine and have a couple grand left for cooling mods lol
Old 09-06-2014, 11:32 PM

There is no such thing as cooler threads
Yes I know.... But there are physical threads on the cooler itself and since I do not know what derale uses how am I suppose to specify to the guy what they are? What I'd they are an thread instead of npt or vice versa? Some company's is an going into the cooler and some use none and have permanently fixed brings and some use npt. I'm nott about to tell the guy fault information.

Best place for the cooler is in the upper grill or between the subframe and oil pan mounted parallel to the ground
Old 09-07-2014, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
I run an external setup on my lsj I can post a pick later it works very well

you will need to make an adapter plate to weld 2 -10 (-12 to big)male an fittings to I have an idea on that since the lnf dose not run an adapted oil cooler I just need one to tear up. and as for the cooler you don't need a super huge cooler with a fan and such a simple 10x11 or so will work. my car does not like to warm up on cool nights if you decide to try a bigger radiator I would give griffen a call and have them build a larger one the mishimoto radiators are not that good from what ive been told

I built a setup for my friend he runs scca with an lsj his temps were 230 to 250(sometimes a little higher) at the end of the race he was running a big radiator waterless coolant and getting the oil of the cooling system allowed him to run a stock radiator and see temps at 190 by the end of the race
Old 09-07-2014, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by colodude18
I wasn't really serious on running 2 of them lol
Thanks for all the input guys!
Eric I will probably need help with the install, unless I bring it in to Trent.
It'll be a while though. This semester's tuition for Renee is due next week
If it wasn't for that I could buy Cmiller's engine and have a couple grand left for cooling mods lol
It can be a winter project
Old 09-07-2014, 10:15 AM

Mr b your also on e85. Cool night starts suck anyways lol. You only run a fan with a thermostat or no fan at all. You really would only need a fan in extreme track temp conditions. Mishimoto is not good. The fact they kept the core size the same is a joke. Call bell, griffen, Howe, or Ron Davis for a good radiator. I know ron Davis has built one before. I intend to build my own dual or triple pass.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:35 AM

Best place for the cooler is in the upper grill or between the subframe and oil pan mounted parallel to the ground
Good point. Although I have plenty of room in front of my radiator with the AC condenser out of the way, I did have some concerns about feeding the hot oil cooler exit-air into the radiator...

Originally Posted by mrbelvedere
I run an external setup on my lsj I can post a pick later it works very well
you will need to make an adapter plate to weld 2 -10 (-12 to big)male an fittings to I have an idea on that since the lnf dose not run an adapted oil cooler I just need one to tear up. and as for the cooler you don't need a super huge cooler with a fan and such a simple 10x11 or so will work. my car does not like to warm up on cool nights if you decide to try a bigger radiator I would give griffen a call and have them build a larger one the mishimoto radiators are not that good from what ive been told

I built a setup for my friend he runs scca with an lsj his temps were 230 to 250(sometimes a little higher) at the end of the race he was running a big radiator waterless coolant and getting the oil of the cooling system allowed him to run a stock radiator and see temps at 190 by the end of the race
Thanks Mr. B, a picture would be very helpful. As for cool nights, this is basically a dedicated track / weekend fun car so I can avoid starting her up when temps are too cold. I have no problem with properly warming her up before driving off.
That's impressive to go from 250 to 190. Are you saying only an oil cooler or only a larger radiator would be enough? I'd rather go big than get a solution that turns out to be inadequate...

Originally Posted by ECaulk
It can be a winter project
Yes Eric it will definitely be a winter project

Mr b your also on e85. Cool night starts suck anyways lol. You only run a fan with a thermostat or no fan at all. You really would only need a fan in extreme track temp conditions. Mishimoto is not good. The fact they kept the core size the same is a joke. Call bell, griffen, Howe, or Ron Davis for a good radiator. I know ron Davis has built one before. I intend to build my own dual or triple pass.
Thanks for the names of all those custom radiator manufacturers. I'll get an idea of cost from each one. I'd love to see what a bigger radiator can do for me.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Name:  20140605_125339_zpswxqkxtvo.jpg
Views: 1086
Size:  52.9 KB

Name:  20140605_125315_zpsauhzby8g.jpg
Views: 1034
Size:  60.5 KB
Old 09-07-2014, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

it was the same way on gas I don't run a thermostat on my oil cooler either don't want it
Old 10-12-2014, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

the lnf from what I can find does not run a thermostat in the oil cooling system here is the plate to run an external cooler on an lnf

Name:  20141011_120246_zpsvopzx6x5.jpg
Views: 1326
Size:  64.4 KB
Old 10-12-2014, 12:39 PM
South Central *********

Hey i have one of those haha
Old 10-12-2014, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by mrbelvedere
the lnf from what I can find does not run a thermostat in the oil cooling system here is the plate to run an external cooler on an lnf

Do you machine these? Those look great.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket front mount oil cooler