Canadian Mid East Nunavut, Manitoba, Ontario

Auto lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto lights

Sorry to post on such an insignificant issue but its making me crazy.

For those of you who have an 06 Cobalt SS S/C please let me know if you can turn off your auto lights at night.

This is what I have found. During the day I can turn them off if the emergency brake is up. If I turn on the wipers and they come on (during the day) I can also turn off the auto lights (by toggling to off). However, the moment I release the hand brake the lights come back on. Same problem at night.

So then I ask - if this is not an isolated case of malfunctioning auto lights - what the hell is the point of the off toggle ???? Because even though the DIC indicates you have successfully turned off the auto light feature (with the h/brake up) the moment you release the hand brake - it turns on! (please note I cannot turn off the auto headlights when the handbrake is not up - nothing happens when I try)

Maybe it's a Canadian thing - with the DRL system messing things up...

I'd appreciate anyone who will give it a shot - preferably guys with the 2006 as it might be an 2006 issue.

Thanks!
Old 07-18-2006, 04:00 PM

the auto lights off are for when your parked, it's normal for them to turn back on when you take off your parking brake... Allthough myself I would like to be able to turn them off all the time too, makes stalking chicks home from the bar a whole lot easier, lol.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:01 PM

i think u can program the auto light function through the DIC along with the alarm system and door unlock system
Old 07-18-2006, 04:03 PM

Try looking for the DRL module and disable it. You can get a ticket for it cause its a newer car but I haven't heard of any cops breaking ***** over DRL's. For me, I located my module and gave it the yankaroo.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:04 PM

I can turn my auto lights off at any time, hand brake up or down. When I go into stealth mode (tp'ing someone's house) I turn them off, and they stay off while I'm driving too. Maybe it's the Canadian Edition or something? lol
Old 07-18-2006, 04:08 PM
Banned

I can turn mine off too. I generally do that in teh dusk hours as the lights will be turning on and off and on as I get into lighter and darker areas. The autolight feature does reset when the car is turned off though.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:19 PM

Thanks for responding guys.

I guess it IS one of those stupid Canadian things.

Anyway, glad to see it isn't a defect.

As far as pulling the DRL relay - once you do that are you able to turn off the lights anytime??? Where is the relay? Does pulling it affect anything else?

Thanks again!

GETTING MY STAGE 2 TOMORROW!!!!!!
Old 12-28-2006, 11:53 PM

Hey guys, new to the forum here. I have a blue 06 SS/SC balt. I am also located in Canada. I recently purchased a set of 9007 hi/low telescopic HIDs (kit) and I need to know how to actually disable the DRLs from coming on in the daytime. I don''t want to ruin my HIDs.

I tried looking for the DRL fuse under the hood in the fuse box, but can't for the life of me figure out which one it is. There is no such fuse labelled under the fuse box. Can anyone post a pic or diagram of which fuse exactly that I should pull?

Thanks.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:16 PM

Hey.

I've been waiting for some time for a response on how to disengage the DRLs....

In my Z24 I think that GM could do it by programming the ECM(?). I actually first tried to pull the fuse for the DRL in my Z24 and it cause all kinds of strange problems with Idle. It was so bizarre! So needless to say I scrapped that idea.

Not sure if a dealer could turn of the DRLs (haven't asked yet) but I suspect even if thy could they wouldn't. A lot of them are worried about lawsuites etc.

So unless you have a good friend who works as a technician, don't even bother asking.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:20 PM

I'm canadian and all my lights turn off when i turn the auto lights off unless the fogs are on, make sure the fogs are off
Old 01-26-2007, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by dcshoes23
I'm canadian and all my lights turn off when i turn the auto lights off unless the fogs are on, make sure the fogs are off
Luckyy. Mine it's if the parks are on, the headlights are on (unless h-brakes on/day). at night the only way to turn off the lights is to auto-off'em, unless the fogs are on, then it looks kool. I thought about a handbrake override switch (i have one in the Caprice to deactivate the drl's) but the DIC dings and pings you to death, plus you can't use cruise while the handbrakes on...
So, any ideas?