Canadian Mid East Nunavut, Manitoba, Ontario

Cobalt SS/TC impressions, possible new owner!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cobalt SS/TC impressions, possible new owner!

Hey, I think this is my first post here, even though been a member for sometime, I have just been trolling up till now. However, I am thinking about making the jump to a 2010 SS/TC, and I since I live in Winnipeg myself, figured that is where I would start on how people around here (elseware is fine also ) like their Cobalts, if they got a good deal on a new one etc. More specifically, I am interested in reliability, gas mileage, performance, and everyday driveability issues if any, which dealership you bought it from and your experience there etc. Been having a hard time finding info about people who buy the cars and their impressions after driving them for awhile. Reading magazine articles is fine and dandy, but I like reviews from people after OWNING them for awhile. Since this would be my first NEW car, I want my homework done before I pull the trigger.

Thanks, and if I do get one, hope to see some of you out there!

Matthew
Old 05-27-2010, 12:20 PM

Welcome to the forum, I have an 08 SS/TC which I bought from Melnick Motors in Beausejour. My buying experience was good but I work there lol.

I have about 11xxx Km's on the car and I have had no major issues, the sunroof fuse blew last year but thats it. On my last road trip to wisconsin I was getting over 600 KM's to a tank. Hopefully a few other TC owners will chime in that have a few more KM's on theirs.

I enjoy the car a lot, handling is amazing.

One thing I would factor into buying cost if you are going to winter drive it is that the car has no block heater, and you'll need to get a set of winter tires/rims that clear the front brakes. Both can be done pretty easily.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:30 PM

What dealer are you looking at that is selling a 2010? I didn't think Wpg had any...
Old 05-27-2010, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Cdnturboz
Welcome to the forum, I have an 08 SS/TC which I bought from Melnick Motors in Beausejour. My buying experience was good but I work there lol.

I have about 11xxx Km's on the car and I have had no major issues, the sunroof fuse blew last year but thats it. On my last road trip to wisconsin I was getting over 600 KM's to a tank. Hopefully a few other TC owners will chime in that have a few more KM's on theirs.

I enjoy the car a lot, handling is amazing.

One thing I would factor into buying cost if you are going to winter drive it is that the car has no block heater, and you'll need to get a set of winter tires/rims that clear the front brakes. Both can be done pretty easily.
What do you think on average do you get to a tank? I do prob 80% highway driving now, about 600 km per week, and I am hoping the car can do that...how big is the tank?

Yeah, I forgot to mention what people have done to their cars for winter, as I just remembered that they don't come with block heaters from the factory. I have heard some get them installed, others get oil pan heaters instead. Are you driving yours in winter?

Originally Posted by xBuRnTx
What dealer are you looking at that is selling a 2010? I didn't think Wpg had any...
Murray Chev/Olds.

Last edited by 98GreenGTP; 05-27-2010 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-27-2010, 12:53 PM

there is a 2009 red one for sale with red/black interior and powerdercoated black rims. 17,900 on kijiji
Old 05-27-2010, 12:59 PM

I believe I'm getting 500+ ish Km's per tank, I drive 95% highway. For me the car is just a summer car so I have no winter experience with it.

My gf has a 09 G5 GT and is awesome in the winter with snow tires so I can't see the SS/TC with LSD and snow tires being worse lol.

edit: I "think" its a 50L tank but I can't remember if thats my car or my gf's g5.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:09 PM

there is a 2009 red one for sale with red/black interior and powerdercoated black rims. 17,900 on kijiji
Yeah I have seen that advertised for awhile now. Price is right, though I am at the point where I want to be the only one that has driven the car. That, and I can't say I dig the powdercoated black rims, I believe the stock rims look just fine the way they are.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:21 PM

ok. I was looking at white 09 completely stock for sale by the Chamois owner's kid. Works at Waverly not sure if he is still selling but I'm sure he is. Was selling for 19,995
Old 05-28-2010, 03:48 AM

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
I average about 475km per tank all city driving which is no worse than when I had my 2.2 base model. Completley empty it holds about 43-45 liters (never ran it dry) no block heater but with full synthetic it's not so much as a studder when starting in -35. Winter tires for the 18s will set you back or If you go the route of 17inch rims that clear the brembos and whinter tires that too will not be cheap.

The car is great handles great and was a great purchase IMO
I'd suggest getting them to include gms1 with your purchase as an incentive it's a great mod for this car. Really livens It up and improves driveability and gas mileage slightly. If you want you can always get An aftermArket tune on top of it and get even better results. Great buy for the money and big power capability if your into modding.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:06 AM

ok. I was looking at white 09 completely stock for sale by the Chamois owner's kid. Works at Waverly not sure if he is still selling but I'm sure he is. Was selling for 19,995
The white is a fairly rare color, is it not?
Old 05-28-2010, 11:44 AM

white is rare, have only seen that one in the city anyways.

what does murray have for sale?

Last edited by xBuRnTx; 05-28-2010 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-28-2010, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by slapbetcommissioner
I average about 475km per tank all city driving which is no worse than when I had my 2.2 base model. Completley empty it holds about 43-45 liters (never ran it dry) no block heater but with full synthetic it's not so much as a studder when starting in -35. Winter tires for the 18s will set you back or If you go the route of 17inch rims that clear the brembos and whinter tires that too will not be cheap.

The car is great handles great and was a great purchase IMO
I'd suggest getting them to include gms1 with your purchase as an incentive it's a great mod for this car. Really livens It up and improves driveability and gas mileage slightly. If you want you can always get An aftermArket tune on top of it and get even better results. Great buy for the money and big power capability if your into modding.
Thanks for the suggestion, forgot about their Stage upgrades, when did they become available? I would probably keep the car stock for awhile, and after I had broken it in, maybe do up the upgrade at a later date, but that could still be worked into the deal. Yeah, I saw on here a guy was selling a SS/TC with a tune from a 3rd party (forget the name), and he was pushing over 300 whp and 340 lbs and ran a 13.1 @ 109, which is REALLY impressive. How are the drivetrains holding up to that kind of power, people breaking things a lot?
Old 05-28-2010, 02:46 PM

I bought mine used, have driven a couple thousand k so far, and have averaged 28.8 mpg cdn with a mix of gentle city, short highway legs. The car didn't wow me during the test drive, as the lack of tourque steer makes it feel slower than it is, but once you get used to the turbo, it gets more and more fun. Part of that is because my other car is also a lot of fun (mazda6). By now, I miss the car if I am away for the weekend.

I think the only option on the car is limited slip dif, which you want to make sure you get. I haven't driven one without it though, so don't know how much difference it makes.

I am driving nicer this tank to see what it can do, and I am currently showing 8.2 l/100k on the same mixed driving, which would be about 34.4 mpg. I think I might see over 30 consitantly once the newness of the power wears off.

Last edited by Black9; 05-28-2010 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-28-2010, 02:47 PM

Just out of curiosity who are you dealing with at Murrays?
Old 05-28-2010, 02:50 PM

I am driving nicer this tank to see what it can do, and I am currently showing 8.2 l/100k on the same mixed driving, which would be about 34.4 mpg. I think I might see over 30 consitantly once the newness of the power wears off.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by 98GreenGTP
Thanks for the suggestion, forgot about their Stage upgrades, when did they become available? I would probably keep the car stock for awhile, and after I had broken it in, maybe do up the upgrade at a later date, but that could still be worked into the deal. Yeah, I saw on here a guy was selling a SS/TC with a tune from a 3rd party (forget the name), and he was pushing over 300 whp and 340 lbs and ran a 13.1 @ 109, which is REALLY impressive. How are the drivetrains holding up to that kind of power, people breaking things a lot?

There is currently 1 stage upgrade for the lnf. (there was talk of a second one but no longer any evidence that there going through with it since it took them an epically long time to get carb aproved on the first one (and the fact it was a better intake and no one has made one that doesn't screw up the air readings without a custom tuning for it) bone stock bolt ones won't help as the CPU on our cars are looking to make a certain amount of torque and if you add bolt ons they will more easily attain this power and just make less boost to limit any gains you would normally attain. The stage 1 removes this and bolt ons will help with it (cold air intake is still a bad idea and if your gonna change your down pipe you should probably go with a hi flow catted one instead of catless) if you get a custom tune though all bolt ons are showing power gains and the catless down pipe is ok because the tuner can remove error codes assosiated with them. A better down pipe is the second best bang for your buck in hp due to our cars coming from the factory with 2 cats on them and air bottle necking there.

The clutch will be the firs weekest link when going for big power.

Trifecta tunes have netted I believe 303whp and 342wtq bone stock with just the tune these cars are torque monsters and as soon as you start breaking the 330-350wtq they will start slipping. Of course if you don't warm
them up bone stock they will still slip in 3rd gear on a cold day.

To summarize I love the car the cheap dash and noises it will definately make can anoy so if you think that might bother you take it into acount now. The stereo is the best feature to cover that up lol.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by slapbetcommissioner
There is currently 1 stage upgrade for the lnf. (there was talk of a second one but no longer any evidence that there going through with it since it took them an epically long time to get carb aproved on the first one (and the fact it was a better intake and no one has made one that doesn't screw up the air readings without a custom tuning for it) bone stock bolt ones won't help as the CPU on our cars are looking to make a certain amount of torque and if you add bolt ons they will more easily attain this power and just make less boost to limit any gains you would normally attain. The stage 1 removes this and bolt ons will help with it (cold air intake is still a bad idea and if your gonna change your down pipe you should probably go with a hi flow catted one instead of catless) if you get a custom tune though all bolt ons are showing power gains and the catless down pipe is ok because the tuner can remove error codes assosiated with them. A better down pipe is the second best bang for your buck in hp due to our cars coming from the factory with 2 cats on them and air bottle necking there.

The clutch will be the firs weekest link when going for big power.

Trifecta tunes have netted I believe 303whp and 342wtq bone stock with just the tune these cars are torque monsters and as soon as you start breaking the 330-350wtq they will start slipping. Of course if you don't warm
them up bone stock they will still slip in 3rd gear on a cold day.

To summarize I love the car the cheap dash and noises it will definately make can anoy so if you think that might bother you take it into acount now. The stereo is the best feature to cover that up lol.
I have done a little searching, but couldn't really find the info...what is really all included in the stage 1 upgrade?
Old 05-30-2010, 01:48 PM

Two 3bar sensors and a tune to go with it.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your interested i can take you for a ride in my modded 09 SS/TC.

I also do trifecta tuning for ss/tc's best bang for the buck tune out there.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:53 AM

Hey, I'm the one with the Red one for sale, I know what you're saying about being the only one that's driven the car, especially cuz of the kind of car it is. But I swear mine is taken care of, all it ever did was take me to work and back around the perimeter. And if you don't like the rims, sell them, I have been offered money plus stock rims for them. As well I have an extra tire for the car. Let me know if you are interested?
Old 06-04-2010, 01:05 AM

I'd go for the VR TC with the powdercoated rims. I can say that the car is clean from seeing it in person. OR go for a yellow G5 GT =]
Old 06-04-2010, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Projekt
If your interested i can take you for a ride in my modded 09 SS/TC.

I also do trifecta tuning for ss/tc's best bang for the buck tune out there.
I appreciate the offer, perhaps I will try for next week!

Originally Posted by 03gagtsct
Hey, I'm the one with the Red one for sale, I know what you're saying about being the only one that's driven the car, especially cuz of the kind of car it is. But I swear mine is taken care of, all it ever did was take me to work and back around the perimeter. And if you don't like the rims, sell them, I have been offered money plus stock rims for them. As well I have an extra tire for the car. Let me know if you are interested?
I appreciate the info! Yeah, it is just that I have owned a few performance cars now, and to be honest, they all had a fair amount of miles on them, but often they need a little TLC, or a lot, and parts start to be needed on a regular basis. And I drive my vehicles with a lot of care, and after watching a lot of drivers in the city, sporty cars or not, people are HARD on their cars.

Sorry for the rant, but bottom line, I hate fixing! lol That being said, I haven't ruled it out yet. In your ad, you are saying you are looking for a trade for a cheaper 4 door car/truck? If you want, pm the details.

I'd go for the VR TC with the powdercoated rims. I can say that the car is clean from seeing it in person. OR go for a yellow G5 GT =]
Haha, the G5's actually look pretty decent, but the cobalt's ss package is a hard one to beat I appreciate the reference, good to know others have seen and liked the car.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:11 PM

Well the G5 is a good looking car your right =] Especially a fully loaded with heated leather just newly apholstered. Basically stock and ready to mod =]
Old 06-04-2010, 04:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your not going to be impressed with the power of a stock ss/tc ill take you for a ride in mine and you will defently want one then
Old 06-04-2010, 04:53 PM

you will be impressed more in my g5 =]

Quick Reply: Cobalt SS/TC impressions, possible new owner!