Canadian Mid East Nunavut, Manitoba, Ontario

Manitoba SS's 2008

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh and I added the trim picture in my gallery.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Pablo
Are you sure it's clutch slip? Usually you'll notice it more in the higher gears than the lower, you've almost got me thinking you're breaking the tires loose. And to answer your question, I have no access to aftermarket parts, just gm stuff
hmmm. If I could show you what it does. Tires for sure arn't breaking lose. First time I noticed it was in 2nd gear at about 100km/h it felt like i was losing power then gaining power then losing. It was not a constant pull. In 3rd everything feels normal. infact ym car is freaky in 3rd gear.....

I'll take wes for a ride and see what he thinks unless you are down in st.V/southdale side of the city sometime I could show you and see what you think. I am not experienced in this kind of thing (computer tech)
Old 04-19-2008, 04:54 PM
Banned

my car does the exact same thing.. but for me it IS the tires breaking loose, but it doesn't squeal (yet) because the temps are still not hot enough on certain streets.. (some older streets have different surfaces than others, its the cobbly type old streets),

i know that sounds weird but its true.. my girlfriends street my tires break loose but don't squeal, first street i turn off has been redone recently and tires squeal..lol.

your best bet is to try it on the highway or a place where they recently blacktopped and its nice and even

edit: and watch your speedo, its hard to do when WOT in 2nd gear, but if your clutch IS slipping your speedo won't go up, the other reason I know mine isn't is because when i get that feeling i immediately check the speedo and its flown up and then comes back down 20-30 km when i let off the gas. ie. wheelspin
Old 04-19-2008, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mss26
my car does the exact same thing.. but for me it IS the tires breaking loose, but it doesn't squeal (yet) because the temps are still not hot enough on certain streets.. (some older streets have different surfaces than others, its the cobbly type old streets),

i know that sounds weird but its true.. my girlfriends street my tires break loose but don't squeal, first street i turn off has been redone recently and tires squeal..lol.

your best bet is to try it on the highway or a place where they recently blacktopped and its nice and even
Correct me if I am wrong. If my tired break loose should my RPM not climb faster? In first gear i can go almost to the floor and I don't hear tires spinning and RPM stays at about 5k constant. In 2nd when it happens my RPM I believe Stops climbing as well. I will double check after work.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:14 PM
Banned

Yes RPM would also climb higher if your tires break loose..

i actually made a video of my car after i first got stage 2 because i thought the same thing (clutch slip). anyways, the video makes it really easy to tell and its safer because you can keep your eyes on the road and have someone else in the backseat reach over and film the dash.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:50 PM

RPM will climb whether it's the tires or the clutch, best way to test a clutch is put the car in a high gear like 4th or 5th when doing about 60km/h, then mash the gas. If everything is fine the car will slowly accelerate, if the clutch is iffy, the rpms will go up but the car wont accelerate. It might accelerate slowly but by the time it hits 100km/h you're redlining 4th.

P1llar, only thing I can think of is getting a boost leak tester and going from there. We've got a couple at Rob's shop, but I won't be there for a few weeks due to my eye surgery. I'm sure we could get it fixed in a couple weeks time if you want to wait
Old 04-19-2008, 06:12 PM

RPM will climb whether it's the tires or the clutch, best way to test a clutch is put the car in a high gear like 4th or 5th when doing about 60km/h, then mash the gas. If everything is fine the car will slowly accelerate, if the clutch is iffy, the rpms will go up but the car wont accelerate. It might accelerate slowly but by the time it hits 100km/h you're redlining 4th.

P1llar, only thing I can think of is getting a boost leak tester and going from there. We've got a couple at Rob's shop, but I won't be there for a few weeks due to my eye surgery. I'm sure we could get it fixed in a couple weeks time if you want to wait
Then it isn't clutch slip. What could it be.... My RPM does not increase when it happens.

This is driving me nuts.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:33 PM

Almost sounds like it's a fuel delivery issue, or you're crazy
Old 04-19-2008, 07:15 PM

where is it $468? cheapest i could find was $545 and then the tip is extra.. but its also only 2.25 i think.. nobody has given my a solid anwser on if 2.25 would be fine or if i should go 2.5.. either one is better than stock though.
It's all about flow. GMPP catback is 2.25, but it's a true 2.25 with no restrictions (after the d/p....) I've heard nothing but good things from people with that setup. Adding a header/dp would definitely improve things further, but the GMPP catback is def one of my dream mods.

Oh and I added the trim picture in my gallery.
How much? I'd go for it if it wasn't spensive.

Originally Posted by Dayn
Then it isn't clutch slip. What could it be.... My RPM does not increase when it happens.

This is driving me nuts.
LSD? Mine does that when I turn corners and gas it..... (LSD lobbing the power between the wheels as one breaks loose slightly, making the engine unable to accelerate properly? Maybe?) I got no traction on theses sandy streets.....just a thought.

Last edited by thought; 04-19-2008 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-19-2008, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by thought
It's all about flow. GMPP catback is 2.25, but it's a true 2.25 with no restrictions (after the d/p....) I've heard nothing but good things from people with that setup. Adding a header/dp would definitely improve things further, but the GMPP catback is def one of my dream mods.

How much? I'd go for it if it wasn't spensive.

LSD? Mine does that when I turn corners and gas it..... (LSD lobbing the power between the wheels as one breaks loose slightly, making the engine unable to accelerate properly? Maybe?) I got no traction on theses sandy streets.....just a thought.
You know the more we tlak about it the more it could be the sand on the streets. I remember slightly damp streets i spin tires at the top of 2nd gear.

Again though my RPM doesn't jump.

I will check on my way home tonight.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pablo do you have any in orange? lol
Old 04-19-2008, 07:43 PM

**** I completely forgot to check how much these damn things are, I should have checked before, seeing how expensive some of our stuff is, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a few hundred bucks, I'll let you ladies know on Tuesday, oh and yes they do come in all kind of colors, some even have flames, I'm not shitting you
Old 04-19-2008, 08:13 PM
Banned

damn that trim looks nice and you had to post red ones which is the colour of my car lol.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:50 PM
MaJ

Arrow

**** I completely forgot to check how much these damn things are, I should have checked before, seeing how expensive some of our stuff is, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a few hundred bucks, I'll let you ladies know on Tuesday, oh and yes they do come in all kind of colors, some even have flames, I'm not shitting you
So when you say orange do you mean color matched orange? That would be ******* sweet if they came in actual sunburst orange. I think I would have to get a set if they do. Price permitting of I.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:33 PM
Banned

K Dayn, remember what your nose smelt. you said it I thought "rotten eggs". plus what we were doing was second gear carrying all the way up to 120KMH on bishop grandin. I really dont see your tires breaking lose. Honestly when I have gotten slip was at 3500 and up in first and 4000rpm in 2nd. peak torque and either the tires slip or the clutch. but if the tires grip you then dont hear your tires. and then its like a skunk was road kill for a moment.

reflect on that and let me know.

I have 49000KM on my car. I had slipping clutch issues since 3000K. If it werent for the fact that I have a cooler head, knowledge on clutch care, that I know a clutch is not covered on warranty then this clutch would have been toast along time ago. LOL

__________________________________________________ ______________

Oh Pablo, I think MAJ will go apeshit over this. Lets watch the entertainment.

Very nice indeed. I will take the red flamer kit. LOL

Last edited by Asphalt Assault; 04-19-2008 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-20-2008, 12:06 AM

I can wait, i've got exams all this weeken and i'm going to Minneapolis the following week. So 2-3 weeks is good for me, there may not even be a leak but i'd like to check just for ease of mind. When Scott drove the car for for me on oct. it was pretty scary fast, now it seems sluggish, hittng about 15psi falling to 12ish.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:13 AM
Banned

hmmm. If I could show you what it does. Tires for sure arn't breaking lose. First time I noticed it was in 2nd gear at about 100km/h it felt like i was losing power then gaining power then losing. It was not a constant pull. In 3rd everything feels normal. infact ym car is freaky in 3rd gear.....

I'll take wes for a ride and see what he thinks unless you are down in st.V/southdale side of the city sometime I could show you and see what you think. I am not experienced in this kind of thing (computer tech)

I missed that, that is exactly what my car does.. but i think this is why:

when your tires break loose, for whatever reason, dust or power etc... you lose momentum (car slows) and the tires sometimes do catch again, and your rpm will drop or seem to hover very briefly and then start to rise again. and correct me if i'm wrong but once your clutch starts to slip during hard acceleration it won't catch again unless you take your foot off the gas..

here is a video of that exact thing happening on a nice clean street in 2nd gear.. you'll hear my tires break loose and then catch again, (the rpm/speedo rise, and then fly up when the tires break loose, and comes back down when they catch and then starts to go up like normal again) (Sorry for the long post guys)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7paUOympBY

oh and then like you said, 3rd gear is perfect even acceleration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yqPbj8_NX4
Old 04-20-2008, 12:27 AM

I missed that, that is exactly what my car does.. but i think this is why:

when your tires break loose, for whatever reason, dust or power etc... you lose momentum (car slows) and the tires sometimes do catch again, and your rpm will drop or seem to hover very briefly and then start to rise again. and correct me if i'm wrong but once your clutch starts to slip during hard acceleration it won't catch again unless you take your foot off the gas..

here is a video of that exact thing happening on a nice clean street in 2nd gear.. you'll hear my tires break loose and then catch again, (the rpm/speedo rise, and then fly up when the tires break loose, and comes back down when they catch and then starts to go up like normal again) (Sorry for the long post guys)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7paUOympBY

oh and then like you said, 3rd gear is perfect even acceleration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yqPbj8_NX4
my rpm never jumps though. but i found it is my tires breaking loose. i think.and the lsd compensating so my rpm doesnt spike and i get traction back. only thing i can think of that makes sense,.

again though i am not a car person so i have no idea.

if i go WOT in 2nd upt o 5500rpm then do about 95% throttle to my shift point it doesnt happen. I may start shifting into 3rd at 6k or do 95% throttle soon as i feel the power loss and then 100% after
Old 04-20-2008, 12:28 AM

So who's going out tomorrow, i will show this time, i'm gonna give Juan a call too.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:30 AM
Banned

my rpm never jumps though. but i found it is my tires breaking loose. i think.and the lsd compensating so my rpm doesnt spike and i get traction back. only thing i can think of that makes sense,.
well that sounds better than clutch slip lol.. and i don't have an LSD. but hey, we are supposed to get some rain on tuesday so hopefully that will clean our filthy streets
Old 04-20-2008, 12:40 AM

well that sounds better than clutch slip lol.. and i don't have an LSD. but hey, we are supposed to get some rain on tuesday so hopefully that will clean our filthy streets
On my way back form renting movie i tried on a street that was cleaned last night and it is good pavement. tires still spin at around 5500 rpm.

I can't blame dusty roads.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by p1llar
So who's going out tomorrow, i will show this time, i'm gonna give Juan a call too.
hmm there was a list a few pages back, but i think:

me
wes
maj
chigoku
06pursuitGT
ceas
Jeff

and i prolly missed some

On my way back form renting movie i tried on a street that was cleaned last night and it is good pavement. tires still spin at around 5500 rpm.

I can't blame dusty roads.
yah since stage 2 i always break loose near the end of 2nd, sounds like you have a good idea and just shift it a bit early into 3rd

Last edited by Mss26; 04-20-2008 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-20-2008, 12:52 AM
Banned

mss26
wes
maj
chigoku
06pursuitGT
ceas
Jeff
dayn
Old 04-20-2008, 12:53 AM

I'll be out tom too :-)
Old 04-20-2008, 12:56 AM
Banned

lol we'll need a bigger parking lot, last time we were pretty packed. but we'll just kick out the paying a&w customers

Quick Reply: Manitoba SS's 2008