Canadian Mid West NW Territories, Alberta, Saskatchewan

Castrol Raceway June 29th (meet?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 08:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So far it's still a go
Old 06-17-2012, 10:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a full face helmet someone can have for free if it fits them. It's a small, but if it fits, someone can have it.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:22 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by lebUNIT
hmm.. is this still happening? too lazy to read the whole thread lol
there was never a question as to "if" it was happening...

the only question is how many people from here will show up!
Old 06-17-2012, 08:47 PM

I will be going and I am planning on taking my truck in the fall sometime after my vacation
Old 06-19-2012, 11:23 AM

Well hopefully i can make it out on the 29th. My AMS Clutch Master Cylinder kit arrived yesterday. It was suppose to have the Evo 8/9 Master Cylinder but AMS forgot to include it. They are apparently over nighting it to me. My ACT clutch is out for delivery so hopefully ill be home when it comes.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:58 AM

I hope you show up too!

do you regularly talk with any of the locals who might not be aware of this "meet"?

maybe you can help spread the word(?)

I am pretty sure I posted in the edmonton chat thread, and I have tried a couple times in the WCCM-2012 thread... but don't know if anyone took note, or though this was seriously happening...
Old 06-19-2012, 12:47 PM

Only guy i talk to is jody and he is most likely going
Old 06-19-2012, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As Jordan said, Bud Country is that weekend and I'll be back on shift that weekend and we have a bunch of 4 oil well pad jobs coming up that I'll probably be sent out to too.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Martel18SS
As Jordan said, Bud Country is that weekend and I'll be back on shift that weekend and we have a bunch of 4 oil well pad jobs coming up that I'll probably be sent out to too.
well that's a bummer.

if something changes - I'd love to have you two come out!
Old 06-19-2012, 09:08 PM

Finally......

Now im only missing the Evo 8/9 Master Cylinder for CMC assembly. That should be here tomorrow.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:28 PM

Well there is another week in july I could make it out. I would be bringing my truck of course
Old 06-22-2012, 01:12 PM

So I just found out my accomidations are not a sure thing - I'm giving this a bump....

Originally Posted by soundjunky
According to expedia, based on single ocupancy, for the night of the 29th, the four cheapest options are:
  • Edmonton International Airport/Leduc Travelodge Suites: $80 (3.4/5 stars)
  • Days Inn Edmonton Airport: $88 (3.5/5 stars)
  • Argyll Plaza Hotel Edmonton: $89 (3.5/5 stars); 25 km away in Edmonton
  • Econo Lodge Edmonton: $95 (no reviews); 21 km away in Edmonton
Would any in this group who's driving from out of town be interested in staying at the same spot?

Crap, I'd even be game for splitting room fees with someone... I mean often you can get a room with two queens for the same price as a single queen.
(only downside is I'm told I snore.)

I make habit of staying away from Super 8's...
I have had decent luck with Travelodge's, and Econo Lodge's - but they're REALLY basic...
I've found the nicest places (while still being remotely reasonable) are Hampton Inn's, or Holiday Inn Express's ~ with that being said;

Hampton Inn by Hilton Edmonton/South: $101 (only one review); 16km's away in Edmonton.
...and if you hadn't guessed it, I'm totally not driving back afterwards - I am not a great night driver, and kinda value getting home safely over saving some money.
If some out-of-towners are staying somewhere we should all plan on being at the same place so we can hang out some after the event closes @ castrol...

I'd love to find a reasonably priced place with an 24hour pool/hot tub so that I can relax in a hot tub... but that not withstanding, I'm sure the out of towners would rather not drive 3+ hours after the event is closed in the AM...

thoughts??
Old 06-22-2012, 05:06 PM

I won't make it out this year as I already have obligatory plans (GF leaves for San Fransisco the following day).

Next year should be fun though, so long as I keep saving, I'll be rocking one of these next year:

Old 06-22-2012, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Highbeamz
I won't make it out this year as I already have obligatory plans (GF leaves for San Fransisco the following day).

Next year should be fun though, so long as I keep saving, I'll be rocking one of these next year:

is that a C4 , or a 1995-1996 C5??

the C4's are the red-headed -step-chiold of the corvette scene right now, but frankly I like them.... alot.

I don't care for the C5 - they just don't flow well...
I love the C6 though - the exposed headlights and C4-ish rear end treatment serve to make a freaking cool car....
but they would be even better if I could seat a nephew or Neice in the back...

so I'd rather get one of these;

the 1993-1997 F-bodies might have the lesser powered LT1 - but I love the looks of the 1996-1997 WS6 Formulas, or the 1993-1997 Firehawks...

I WILL eventually have one...
(and it will probably be my slowest, or second slowest car - but I won't care.

Last edited by soundjunky; 06-22-2012 at 05:20 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by soundjunky
is that a C4 , or a 1995-1996 C5??

the C4's are the red-headed -step-chiold of the corvette scene right now, but frankly I like them.... alot.

I don't care for the C5 - they just don't flow well...
I love the C6 though - the exposed headlights and C4-ish rear end treatment serve to make a freaking cool car....
but they would be even better if I could seat a nephew or Neice in the back...

so I'd rather get one of these;

the 1993-1997 F-bodies might have the lesser powered LT1 - but I love the looks of the 1996-1997 WS6 Formulas, or the 1993-1997 Firehawks...

I WILL eventually have one...
(and it will probably be my slowest, or second slowest car - but I won't care.
Here is where I stand on the C4...

I wanted a C6 and only a C6, but I can't really wait until I have 25+ grand to buy it outright as I refuse to buy it on a loan. Something to tie me over will be a C4 because they are almost all at "rock bottom" value and won't depreciate much further. Beyond their little depreciation, they are cheaper in the US, so if I buy one down there, drive it for a few years and sell it, I'll mostly lose money on gas, tires, oil and maintenance, whereas what I paid and what I sell it for should be pretty close if I don't destroy it. I can then take the money from selling it after I am done with it, and put that towards the C6

The reason I pictured that particular engine is because that is the LT4 which was only run on the Corvettes in 96. It was run on the 6 speed manuals and Grand Sport only, rated from GM at 330hp/340tq, but dyno'd at over 300 to the wheels in many instances. There is much speculation that GM not only underrated the motor, but possibly paid off car review companies like Car and Driver to show the acceleration figures worse than they were so it would not make the C5 look inferior performance wise. It's a little gem to be honest, and one I would like to own.

The F-bodies are nice, but there's just something different about the way you sit in and drive a Vette, closer to the back, lower to the ground, plus you practically have to CRAWL in it...and I honestly like that lol.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:18 PM

I am still planning on making it out, and I mentioned it to Andrew and Sam. Andrew will be outta town as he needs more time to plan it, and Sam said if he isnt working late, he will most likely make it too. Jody said he was probably gonna make it out depending on weather, and I hope Damien makes it out as long as the parts get here in time and he can get it installed That evo is getting more and more badass.

There are lots of places/things to do after the track closes ~11pm, but I highly doubt you will find a 24hr pool in any hotel around here. 99% of them close at 10pm for safety reasons.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by PsychoGenius
I am still planning on making it out, and I mentioned it to Andrew and Sam. Andrew will be outta town as he needs more time to plan it, and Sam said if he isnt working late, he will most likely make it too. Jody said he was probably gonna make it out depending on weather, and I hope Damien makes it out as long as the parts get here in time and he can get it installed That evo is getting more and more badass.

There are lots of places/things to do after the track closes ~11pm, but I highly doubt you will find a 24hr pool in any hotel around here. 99% of them close at 10pm for safety reasons.
all my parts are here. I started to install my AMS Clutch Master Cylinder yesterday but ran into a leak (had to tighten the clutch line but to get to it i had to pull the boost solenoid, intake, battery terminal and ecu out) Got it done today but ran into 2 issues. I cant get the master cylinder on the clutch pedal all the way and my ASC (AWD) service light is on. So tomorrow im heading to the base shop and me and a few buddies are doing the clutch. Hopefully it goes smooth and i can get out of there on sunday and break the clutch in before friday.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:52 PM

I wont be there unless the dealership does a payment plan for the clutch. Me and a few buddies started it today. Started at 9:45am and at 1:00 we had everything out of the engine bay, dp, both axles and a few other parts removed. All that was left was to remove the axle stub out of the tcase, a few mounts, pull the tcase out and then the tranny. I somehow bought the wrong size ready rod so i had no way to pull the axle stub out. The shop i bought it from doesnt open until monday. It would cost to much money to leave my car on the hoist at the shop until monday and then only work 2 1/2hrs a night on it (probably be thursday until i got it running with the new clutch) and a car rental for the week to get to work. So i said **** it and started putting everything back together. I'm finishing it tomorrow and bringing it to the dealership monday to see if they can do a payment plan. if they can, ill be at the strip (hopefully) if not, its going to be about a month until i can fork out the cash to get them to do it.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:32 PM

A hotel room has been booked.

Me & SylverSS/SC are splitting this room - the hotel which the room is booked at is:

Travelodge Edmonton Airport
5704 50th Street
Leduc , AB T9E 6J4
Phone: 1-780-986-2264

Travelodge Edmonton Airport | Leduc, AB *T9E 6J4 Hotel
(some of the link might show my presets)

Our booked room is a ground floor room, with outside access.
You can get a the best rate if you book online through their site - or you can get an even better rate through expedia (but expedia bookings iirc cannot be refunded once booked, whereas I can cancel our reservation the afternoon of the date without being charged).
If you should choose to book your own room, and want to be near us, I'd suggest you phone them in person, and see to booking a room, beside, or near the reservation for "Jonathan Unruh"...

The Calgary group is organizing a meet place, and departure time from Calgary in the 'GM Tuners of Calgary' group on facebook - but it's safe to say that we will be in Leduc for about 4pm... I'm really hoping the weather co-operates.
I don't have a cell plan, but SylverSS/SC, and a couple others who are coming from Calgary do - incase any of you want to keep in touch with us, and meet up before going to the track.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:38 AM

I've put in a request to book time off to meet you guys, but I won't know until tomorrow or Tuesday most likely. When I know, I'll let you know. It'd be cool to be at an actual Cobalt meet again lol.. although I warn you guys now, tech is easy, but it can take 2 hours to get through it if it's a busy night. Be there by 5 to get tech'd early since you haven't been tech'd here before. They're easy though, don't worry about anything, just be sure you have a helmet. As for times, racing is supposed to start at 6, but sometimes it's a bit later and it goes until either: it rains and racing is delayed, or it doesn't stop and they call it, or, until it's dark which is roughly 11-11:45 pm this time of year, most likely on the later side since the days are longest now.. last time I went it was 11:35 so we'll get lots of racing in, but if it's busy, you won't get alot of passes in until other guys start to leave.. the last hour or two it gets better.. almost hot lapping it lol. Good times! If I do manage to get to go, Imma hafta rotate my tires I think.. no point in running the same times I did at the beginning of this month; hafta try to beat them
Old 06-25-2012, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Knightwolf
I've put in a request to book time off to meet you guys, but I won't know until tomorrow or Tuesday most likely. When I know, I'll let you know. It'd be cool to be at an actual Cobalt meet again lol.. although I warn you guys now, tech is easy, but it can take 2 hours to get through it if it's a busy night. Be there by 5 to get tech'd early since you haven't been tech'd here before. They're easy though, don't worry about anything, just be sure you have a helmet. As for times, racing is supposed to start at 6, but sometimes it's a bit later and it goes until either: it rains and racing is delayed, or it doesn't stop and they call it, or, until it's dark which is roughly 11-11:45 pm this time of year, most likely on the later side since the days are longest now.. last time I went it was 11:35 so we'll get lots of racing in, but if it's busy, you won't get alot of passes in until other guys start to leave.. the last hour or two it gets better.. almost hot lapping it lol. Good times! If I do manage to get to go, Imma hafta rotate my tires I think.. no point in running the same times I did at the beginning of this month; hafta try to beat them
I love when the track stays open late. There was one time me and jody left there at 12:30am - 1:00...lol.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:48 AM

I used to be a regular volunteer at Race City for their secret street event;
before the newer communities were getting closer to the track, we would often be going till (honestly) 2am.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:32 PM

Stuck working.. won't be able to make it.. I hate long weekends for this reason
Old 06-28-2012, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Knightwolf
Stuck working.. won't be able to make it.. I hate long weekends for this reason
Well that sucks!

Are you working late - as in you can't come a little late, and just hang out with the group?
Maybe after it's all over we can go meet somewhere over snacks or whatnot...

I'd offer up my cell number.... but I don't have one LOL
Old 06-28-2012, 11:11 PM

OK!!

One sleep away!!!

Foracast for tomorrow looks good:
Weather Forecast: Edmonton, Alberta - The Weather Network
Friday Morning
  • Temp: 18c
  • Wind: W 10 km/h
  • Humidity: 39%
  • P.O.P.: 20%

Friday Afternoon
  • Temp: 24c
  • Humidity: 35%
  • P.O.P.: 10%

Friday Evening
  • Temp: 23c
  • Humidity: 31%
  • P.O.P.: 0%

Friday Overnight:
  • Temp: 14c
  • Wind: SW 5 km/h
  • Humidity: 64%
  • P.O.P.: 0%
afternoon booked off: check
helmet lined up: check

What else!? ~ get through a morning of drudgery at werk?!

How many locals are showing up?
Will anyone from neighboring areas be meeting us there?
I'm pretty sure we will have one or two people along to take pics ~ but I don't know if either have video cameras...

*giggity*

Quick Reply: Castrol Raceway June 29th (meet?)