Canadian Mid West NW Territories, Alberta, Saskatchewan

new Alberta car club!??!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 01:08 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
new Alberta car club!??!

Ok,

I got to thinking some more about this today after seeing a post on jbody dot org that fizzled out last summer...

I want to see if I can get this idea I’ve had for a couple years rolling.

I'd like to see if a larger group of us could make our own informal club.

I have observed that many enthusiasts break off into their own factions ~ which IMHO, is really unwarranted, and in turn isolates us from each other.

Let’s tentatively call the group;

GM-WWD of Alberta

Or spelt out;

GM Wrong Wheel Drive of Alberta

“wrong” ~ Is a joke directed at the fact that most compact/4cylinder cars are FWD, and all the fast cars that get the glory are rear wheel drive, and well, the whole “FWD” is too familiar.

I envision this group to include any GM fwd or 4 cylinder car made from 1985 to present.

I do not want to limit us to strictly four cylinder cars, but rather welcome any car that would come in base trim as a four cylinder ~ and rather than only invite Ecotecs, I’d like to open it up to 2200’s, Twin Cams, and Quad4’s as well as the various V6’s that these cars came with ~ IMHO, diversity should actually help this group…

I short list of cars that I would like to see in this group is;
  • Chevrolet Cavalier
  • Chevrolet Cobalt
  • Chevrolet HHR
  • Buick Skylark
  • Oldsmobile Calais
  • Oldsmobile Achieva
  • Oldsmobile Alero
  • Pontiac J2000
  • Pontiac Grand Am
  • Pontiac Sunbird
  • Pontiac Fiero
  • Pontiac Sunfire
  • Pontiac Pursuit/G5
  • Pontiac Solstice
  • Saturn Ion
  • Saturn Sky

Think of this as a GM car club, for all the cars that the other car clubs don’t really want to have in their groups.
(or a larger group that for the cars which already have a small following.)

Alberta has a lot of people, so there’s really no reason why we cannot find other enthusiasts

I have met up on a couple occasions with some members of the ‘Grand Am Owners Group’, as well as a couple ‘Quad 4 Forums’ members, and of late members from here...

I’d like to post this on ‘Beyond’, but have tried signing up (feature disabled for at least a year now), tried emailing admin, and tried getting friends to email admin… all to no luck.

Can any of you help spread the word to see if this can happen?
(feel free to copy and paste this post in other forums, or link it in other forums)

If anyone is interested in seeing a group like this get together please email me (link in my profile).

Also, if there’s an applicable forum that I do not know, where I could post this, please email me about it…

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by soundjunky; 01-26-2011 at 09:35 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:32 PM

ok, so a couple people on one site totally misunderstood me;

I am in no way shape or form trying to make another website.

I am interested in seeing if we can make an actual club;

You know, back when a club meant that people regularly met face to face?!!?

Granted lurking around a website is low on the commitment scale, but some people don't really enjoy hanging out by themselves infront of a computer screen when they could, say, meet up with like minded enthusiasts face to face.

That is all ~ if nobody (at least from here) replies, I'll let this die, and go back to being the only FWD car in the club that I'm currently a member of.

:^)
Old 01-26-2011, 09:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
solstice and sky are RWD, I can see limiting it to gm vehicles, but why block out our v8 friends in monte carlo and impala ss's
Old 01-27-2011, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by DavidW
solstice and sky are RWD, I can see limiting it to gm vehicles, but why block out our v8 friends in monte carlo and impala ss's
yeah, but so is the Fiero;

by why bother arguing symantics if:

1) you're in Fort Mac, so odds of coming out are slim to none...

2) I'm guessing you have neither, so it's not like you're even being excluded on a purely theoretical level... instead you're just bumping the thread while trying to be argumentative...

3) I already put this in there;
Think of this as a GM car club, for all the cars that the other car clubs don’t really want to have in their groups.
WWD of AB is just one idea which I thought was funny earlier today - and in my humble opinion, too many car clubs are way too serious.

Other ideas are (but not limited to);

GM Sport Compact of AB
Solstice & Sky would fit in with that name, but the Monte SS & GP GXP wouldn't on the basis of not being compact - ditto with about half that list...
Domestic Sport Compact of Calgary, this would open it up for SRT4's ect... but let the honda guys still do their own thing...
GM Tuners of AB ??sounds kinda lame to me.

??

I would just like to see if anyone from here (or other areas would be interested in actually making a go of a club - informal or not...
I'll probably make it out to THIS show & shine, not sure which GM-WWD car I'll take though ...

Maybe I can get word out in person and take it from there...

I had one email today about this from an interesting sounding guy/car ~ but for the most part I am already thinking that most enthusiasts with GM 'tuners', are younger guys who associate in the following manner;

Club = 98% Online = Club site

I'd like to flip that to;

Club = 98% offline = Club outings

JrMotorsport was thinking of doing a cruise later this year;

I think that's a great idea, but if last year was any indicator, odds are not much will happen - because without a club of any sort, most 'events' are more or less spur of the moment;
If we get some kind of group together, we can have an email list, and plan on doing stuff...
Be it:
  • Cruise into the mountains
  • Checking out the Street Wheelers weekend
  • Going as a group to either Castrol, Medicine Hat Dragway, or Race City

Right now the only regular convergence I observe with the FWD/Tuner/Compact crowd is the group which is known for street racing that meets in the industrial area...
I'd like to see other options for like minded people to get together have fun, enjoy each others cars, and stay out of trouble...

worst case scenario is this;
I get insufficient response or too much static, drop the idea, go back to doing my own thing, and save up my money to rebuild my Firebirds, and then have cars to be an active member in a local club that actually does stuff...

Come to think of it, I do have the MT E/T's... and a car that hasn't run them yet
Old 01-27-2011, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hell im down for gettin together as long as i can make it.. i get pretty busy throughout the year and cant make it alot of the time as has been scene ive made it out like once in the past year.. hoping this year is better...
Old 01-28-2011, 12:54 AM

good to know.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:53 PM

Ok guys, rather than do the tried and true thing of trying to have this group meet on a website - I'm going to try something slightly different.

I've made a Facebook "group" named "GM Tuners of Calgary", and this might work by letting everyone get emails for any times we're thinking of doing something, or meeting somewhere.

Login | Facebook

yeah, I know facebook is lame... but I've got some interest from people not on any site ~ plus this is one of a couple sites in which I'm posting this.

Please join the group if you're one of the guys (or gals) here who's interested in this.