Canadian Mid West NW Territories, Alberta, Saskatchewan

Perth to Steep Point

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 09:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Perth to Steep Point

Well, I struggled to get the pajero ready for the trip. lots of late nights, but it was so worth it.

I put on jsut a hair over 2000kmès and used an average of 12-13L per 100km with the new diesel, which I feel is still way to high, so I will send it in for a dyno tune, since wher I got the main issues sorted out they only tuned it by ear.. of course I was told after I paid.. but it ran good enough. is a diesel ever nice to have for 4wding. compression braking and on top of the the low down torque was nice to have on the bigger sand hills, since I dont have to go screaming at them around 4k rpm in 4 low I can hit them at idle in 4 high in second and jsut cruise up with ease. very nice.

The fridge was the next huge thing, starting with 12.67volts in the deep cycle second battery, 105amp hour, after 42 hours of sitting and camping it was at 11.44volts which I am super happy with as the alternator is keeping a good charge on it and the system works really good.

Then last but not least the Arb air compressor, prior I was jsut using a cheap compressor and I was looking at 15 minutes a tyre to reinflate from 15psi to 40psi after sand driving, now with this new beast, 5 minutes does all 4 from 20-40psi, which I am super happy about.

and of course we all want photos so here we go:

Looks like new tyres are in order, as I got about 10 minutes north of joondalup aka 30 minutes from home and a tyre goes flat... this is gay, time for some new rubber I think.

Rolling along I had the mandatory stop at the pinnicles. it was nice, but hot in the direct sun.

Then onto the smaller fishing communities:

I dont like driving these roads at night due to the amount of roos on the road and such so I set up camp:
wild flowers everywhere!

Camp setup: along with tacos for dinner!!

Day 2:
Away I go, it rained like mad starting around 7am till 10am so i hid in the tent till it quit so I got a late start.

The old convict hire house:

The pink lake: this is naturally occuring, cant remeber the reason behind it right now

And of course a standard poser shot as I hit kalbarri national park:

Went on a 9km hike in Kalbarri, it was stunning, the views totally worth it

Then it was time to shut it down again for the night:

Playing with the camera at night:

Day 3: the goal of today was to get to denham or Monkey Mia for a shower and a small restock aka the stuff I forgot.
Along the way I seen stromatolites: these being only 3000 years old, but tracing back 3.5 billion years!!! hello life givers!!

Wagon tracks left in them from 60 years ago:

The roads were super busy, look at this bad mother, crossing where there is no signs...

A stop at shell beach is mandatory because it was stunning!!! made of millions of little shells:

From there is was onto Denham for a small restock were I seen this fellow along the way:

The tough life in Denham:

Day 4:
awww I paid to spend the night for the first time, 15 bucks got me crap.. I had to back over the small fence to fold the tent out.. but i did get a shower and to see there ÈwildÈ dolphins.. lol that was boring, there must of been 200 people alog the beach looking, I couldnèt even get close between all the people pushing to get a better view.
so here is one of the few photos I took before I left before the feeding as I was bored

but I did stop at little lagoon: and hard parked on the beach because that is what it is all about:

Hey random: a lion fish:
I stopped at a fish aquarium for a show and to learn about the native life.

Now the fun begins:
These signs are the best, basically they mean that 99% of tourists will not end up around you at all. its the best. it was a stion camp ground so for 2 nights I had to pay a massive sum of 25 dollars to stay, 8 per night and 8 for the park fees, but I was on my own, my own beach, it was pure beauty!!
Old 09-29-2011, 09:42 AM

Zuytorp cliffs were part of the reason for the drive they are stunning:

Also the most westerly part of mainland Australia
a photo pole, convenient for those of use traveling along..

Home for the next 2 nights

life is tough, my own personal beach:

Did a bit of fishing to, got 1 blue lined emperor and mulitple little yellow tail fish:

Little bastards were stealing my bait:

I missed the best part of the sunset due to a fish on the line I was dealing with:

Did I mention how awesome a fridge is to camp with:
was able to have fresh food 5 days after leaving home and nothing was wet or soggy or any stops for ice
so I made an omelet

Anf of course that allowed me to enjoy sunset with some brei cheese:

My last day out at steep point was mostly driving. but it was a great drive:

Seen the thunder bay blowholes, loud as, but amaizng to watch

The whole drive is along the cliffs:

Odd rocks:

That is it, refilled the tyres with air and headed back to perth:

Yay mitsumaple!!
Old 10-03-2011, 09:09 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn man! looks like your having one hell of a time down there!
Old 10-03-2011, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to move there.... are there wind turbines down there.... =) ill be looking for jobs there then!
Old 10-09-2011, 07:29 AM

yes, there are windmills, a lot of them around steep point as that is there main source of power since its sorta remote, I mean its a town, but 800 km to the next major city.

trip has been great, heading out camping next wekeend again, will have more photos to follow