Canadian North East Quebec, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia

Best tuner in the maritimes?

Old 06-01-2014, 07:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best tuner in the maritimes?

I need a tune. Who is the best around?
I only know one place in NS and I've gone there to get work done and had to go to another mechanic to fix what they missed. I'd like someone that is attentive and has an eye for detail. My last tuner was too busy and didn't really give two craps. Tell him what parts were on the car and he'd not even take them into account. Said he was too busy to keep track...
Had a bunch of other excuses too. Every mechanic I've gone to has left parts off or made some sort of error that lead to costing me more money after paying them an arm and a leg.

I just had to replace my entire engine, turbo, now transmission that needs to be put in.
Basically to list all the work I've done I've replace the car...

I want someone that does quality work and cares about what they are doing.

Some that knows how to tune well.

Sadly I doubt such a person exists locally, it's a small place.

Have to get tuned though. Have new gears going in.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:25 PM

bump
Old 06-01-2014, 04:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by nutty21
I need a tune. Who is the best around?
I only know one place in NS and I've gone there to get work done and had to go to another mechanic to fix what they missed. I'd like someone that is attentive and has an eye for detail. My last tuner was too busy and didn't really give two craps. Tell him what parts were on the car and he'd not even take them into account. Said he was too busy to keep track...
Had a bunch of other excuses too. Every mechanic I've gone to has left parts off or made some sort of error that lead to costing me more money after paying them an arm and a leg.

I just had to replace my entire engine, turbo, now transmission that needs to be put in.
Basically to list all the work I've done I've replace the car...

I want someone that does quality work and cares about what they are doing.

Some that knows how to tune well.

Sadly I doubt such a person exists locally, it's a small place.

Have to get tuned though. Have new gears going in.
If you can do a remote tune I can tune it for you. Who was your last tuner?
Old 06-02-2014, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Terminator2
I can, but I haven't had great experience with remote tuners in the past.

One I bailed on as I got warning from others on here about him and that worried me, and I had an issue with my car that was unrelated, but got me a little worried. He was attentive and great to work with though.

Next one started a tune. Had a death in the family, so that I understand. Months later gave me an update to pick up where he left off, then never ever heard from him again and never response to my email. I didn't say anything negative in anyway ever to him, but just MIA...

Last one... Was a dick. Was an @ss the entire time, and didn't give to craps about what he was doing. I lived in three completely different places and in all three places he blamed knock on gas and never his tune. Even though before a tune update from him I'd have no knock at all... and one of the places had 97 octane... I'd tell him what parts I have on my car and he wouldn't even taken them into account. Things would be messed up so I'd tell him this ain't right then he'd come back and try to act like it was my fault...
Guy was a complete idiot. I have no doubt a great tuner in person, and with his own stuff, but he just kept saying over and over how he can't keep track because he has soo many tunes to do. Like that suppose to somehow make it all ok...

Also taken my car to 4 or 5 different places for work and each place forgot to put a bolt in, or tighten things up, or told me to ignore the fact it was saying it was misfiring (GM!!!)
Anyway. I've replaced almost every single part on this car for real, paid for 4 tunes, and still issues... Brand new engine, brand new turbo, about to put in new gears, new clutch, flywheel, slave, etc. Still having issues. Just been a nightmare and no one seems to care.

I'd just like to get my car working fine for once. Is that really so much to ask. I've put thousands in this thing and it's still a lemon.

Could really use some help, but in the maritimes I seem stuck...

this sux.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are going to remote tune. Terminator 2 and 09cobaltss1 are the best there is to be tuning you. I wouldn't even think or consider anyone else. As for locally. New Brunswick. JD racing is very good. That's it...

Last edited by QuickSilver_SS; 06-03-2014 at 06:40 AM.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by QuickSilver_SS
If you are going to remote tune. Terminator 2 and 09cobaltss1 are the best there is to be tuning you. I wouldn't even think or consider anyone else. As for locally. New Brunswick. JD racing is very good. That's it...
Asked a mechanic the other week who to go to and he said in Nova Scotia, no one. Said the results I'd get are the issues I was getting. The reason I was there was last mechanic working on my car left all the couplers completly loose on the charge pipes. Everyone of them.... He said there was some guy that does work out of a barn in his back yard in NB that was good. Looking at the street view I'd say maybe this is the guy. He didn't know his name or any info at all.

Have you gone to him before?

Does he have a dyno?

If so wonder if I could get him and Term to work together on tuning it.
I want someone local to solve these issues I've been seeing, but I also want someone that has experience and knows our cars well, and see that term has been doing ZFRs lately too.

Just want to get this thing working right for once.

Thanks,

Jay
Old 06-03-2014, 06:57 AM

Looks like he does. I found this:

JD Racing

Thanks
Old 06-03-2014, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JD racing is good but expensive wanted 500 to tune my car
Old 06-03-2014, 09:42 AM

Asked a mechanic the other week who to go to and he said in Nova Scotia, no one. Said the results I'd get are the issues I was getting. The reason I was there was last mechanic working on my car left all the couplers completly loose on the charge pipes. Everyone of them.... He said there was some guy that does work out of a barn in his back yard in NB that was good. Looking at the street view I'd say maybe this is the guy. He didn't know his name or any info at all.

Have you gone to him before?

Does he have a dyno?

If so wonder if I could get him and Term to work together on tuning it.
I want someone local to solve these issues I've been seeing, but I also want someone that has experience and knows our cars well, and see that term has been doing ZFRs lately too.

Just want to get this thing working right for once.

Thanks,

Jay

I cannot fix mechanical issues but often times i can see what is wrong via logs of the car.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:45 AM

I can, but I haven't had great experience with remote tuners in the past.

One I bailed on as I got warning from others on here about him and that worried me, and I had an issue with my car that was unrelated, but got me a little worried. He was attentive and great to work with though.

Next one started a tune. Had a death in the family, so that I understand. Months later gave me an update to pick up where he left off, then never ever heard from him again and never response to my email. I didn't say anything negative in anyway ever to him, but just MIA...

Last one... Was a dick. Was an @ss the entire time, and didn't give to craps about what he was doing. I lived in three completely different places and in all three places he blamed knock on gas and never his tune. Even though before a tune update from him I'd have no knock at all... and one of the places had 97 octane... I'd tell him what parts I have on my car and he wouldn't even taken them into account. Things would be messed up so I'd tell him this ain't right then he'd come back and try to act like it was my fault...
Guy was a complete idiot. I have no doubt a great tuner in person, and with his own stuff, but he just kept saying over and over how he can't keep track because he has soo many tunes to do. Like that suppose to somehow make it all ok...

Also taken my car to 4 or 5 different places for work and each place forgot to put a bolt in, or tighten things up, or told me to ignore the fact it was saying it was misfiring (GM!!!)
Anyway. I've replaced almost every single part on this car for real, paid for 4 tunes, and still issues... Brand new engine, brand new turbo, about to put in new gears, new clutch, flywheel, slave, etc. Still having issues. Just been a nightmare and no one seems to care.

I'd just like to get my car working fine for once. Is that really so much to ask. I've put thousands in this thing and it's still a lemon.

Could really use some help, but in the maritimes I seem stuck...

this sux.
Wow I would like to know who they were (you can pm me if you wish). Last guy sounds like James Rakes to a "T".
Old 06-03-2014, 10:38 AM

Wow I would like to know who they were (you can pm me if you wish). Last guy sounds like James Rakes to a "T".
James was actually the first. He was very friendly and available. Though I had people PMing me warning me about him, and see there are still people posting things like he turns of knock readings, etc. I never finished tuning with him so I can't speak to any of that myself.

Second tuner that took over said he had be running extremely rich.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:52 PM

I got mine done at JD racing. I would highly recommend
Old 06-12-2014, 05:00 PM

How do you go about remote tuning?
Old 06-12-2014, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Joe09SS
How do you go about remote tuning?
HPTuners, email tunes and log files back and forth.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:47 PM

So you'd need the cable?
Old 06-12-2014, 09:53 PM

So you'd need the cable?
Yes
Old 06-12-2014, 10:24 PM

And the software? Which is what 250-350? For both
Old 06-13-2014, 07:58 AM

And the software? Which is what 250-350? For both
Yes the whole package is about $499 new. Often times you can find used setups for about half that.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:42 PM

Yes the whole package is about $499 new. Often times you can find used setups for about half that.
Dang might as well go get a tune at the shop 2 hours away for $500, then a retune if needed is 180 thereafter
Old 06-14-2014, 09:58 PM

Dang might as well go get a tune at the shop 2 hours away for $500, then a retune if needed is 180 thereafter
Hopefully that shop is very familiar with proper tuning of LNF cars. If not the tune you receive may not be very good and could be unsafe.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:28 PM

I have to say yet again that working with Term was the smartest move for my SS even if im not active on this site hardly at all take it from a local that he is the man
Old 07-11-2014, 05:47 PM

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts
What does Term charge for a tune?
Old 07-14-2014, 04:40 PM

that'd be between you and term I know what I paid but I'm not sure if he has changed his rates (i did mine like 2 years ago) so I don't want to put foot in mouth on his behalf.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:56 AM

James at Raven did mine. I've had no issues with him. Honest, Friendly, passionate guy. Summer time is when everyone gets their cars out and it gets busy. So any mechanic is gonna seem stressed/busy etc.

as far as i know, his mustang dyno is the only load bearing one (as opposed to inertia) in the maritimes, which allows for much more accurate tuning.

That being said, our gas is **** here, 91 octane is crap, and the best for power/knock is shell v-power.

I think people don't understand dyno's WHP numbers, so when they go on the "heartbreaker" at Ravens they think its James fault, or something when their car is lower than they hoped.

Load bearing Dyno + **** 91 octane = bad numbers for maritimers lol

some guys think their horsepower=length of their dick, kinda sad really lol

and as maritimers, do we really want a 400 WHP 2900lbs car? **** i cant imagine what hitting a pothole at 300+ kph would be like lol. even at 220+ stradling the center line down the 101 is crazy in a cobalt lol. wind noise, vibration, electric steering sensitivity etc.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Ceeker
James at Raven did mine. I've had no issues with him. Honest, Friendly, passionate guy. Summer time is when everyone gets their cars out and it gets busy. So any mechanic is gonna seem stressed/busy etc.

as far as i know, his mustang dyno is the only load bearing one (as opposed to inertia) in the maritimes, which allows for much more accurate tuning.

That being said, our gas is **** here, 91 octane is crap, and the best for power/knock is shell v-power.

I think people don't understand dyno's WHP numbers, so when they go on the "heartbreaker" at Ravens they think its James fault, or something when their car is lower than they hoped.

Load bearing Dyno + **** 91 octane = bad numbers for maritimers lol

some guys think their horsepower=length of their dick, kinda sad really lol

and as maritimers, do we really want a 400 WHP 2900lbs car? **** i cant imagine what hitting a pothole at 300+ kph would be like lol. even at 220+ stradling the center line down the 101 is crazy in a cobalt lol. wind noise, vibration, electric steering sensitivity etc.
James is a good guy, last year during dyno day he was explaining that he averaged the results from his mustang dyno and his old dyno appantly if you take the results and add 13% you can compare your numbers with his old dyno or any other dynojet. which for me made sense and is what I went with for comparison, not perfect I know but its a ballpark and there is no way to go back and re-dyno now at my previous mod levels again :P.

that said for LNF tuning you need someone who is well versed in this PCM as it is INSANELY complicated compared to most others. Nothing against James I just felt more comfortable with Term or someone in the community with tons of first hand experience on this platform .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best tuner in the maritimes?