Canadian North East Quebec, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia

LSJ In Dartmouth..Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LSJ In Dartmouth..Help

I am wondering if anyone in the dartmouth/halifax area could help me out, I have a 07 Redline and im getting the worst fuel mileage possible. I have done everything possible that I can think of and things that people have mentioned with no luck. I am currently getting 330km to a tank in the city, if im lucky doing highway driving I will get 430ish to a tank. What do you guys get for mileage in nova scotia?

Current things that I have done:

Changed Fuel Filter
Changed plugs many times
Replaced Intercooler pump
Replaced Filters
Checked Brakes for drag
Correct Tire Pressure
Cleaned Maf Sensor A million times
Cleaned Throttle Body " "
Replaced Sensors, MAF, IAT2
Tried many different fuel station
Reflashed the stock software
*New engine as of 3 weeks ago
New Fuel Injectors
Brought to gm for fuel leaks
checked for vacuum leaks

There may be a few things I cant think of that I did, the only thing I have not done is gone to a tuner. So I am wondering if anyone else with the lsj is getting the mileage I am? If so then I am just losing my mind for nothing. Is there a way I can check my fuel trims?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by GETCARTER; 03-30-2012 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how many km's on the new engine? Engines need time to break in and once they do the gas mileage gets better. When i had my Cobalt and had a CAI, 2.8, 60's, meth and a heat exchanger i was getting 600km's a tank on the highway. I was able to get from Halifax to Gagetown and then to Moncton on one tank.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by srt-10
how many km's on the new engine? Engines need time to break in and once they do the gas mileage gets better. When i had my Cobalt and had a CAI, 2.8, 60's, meth and a heat exchanger i was getting 600km's a tank on the highway. I was able to get from Halifax to Gagetown and then to Moncton on one tank.

The new engine has about 2000km on it, but the mileage I am getting on my new engine is the same as what I was getting on my previous engine. The old engine had 116,000km on it, found out that there was coolant leaking into my engine oil so gm replaced it under warranty. I was hoping this would fix my problem... but it did not.

I am also stock.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
if your tank is the same size as my ss/tc 49 litres. i get about 530km per tank mixed driving. dunno if that helps... other than fuel consumption i dunno. it's not throwing any codes on a scanner?

new engines do need time to break in but the mileage shouldn't be that bad... i had my engine replaced under warranty for the same issue at 36,000km. it was a bit slower for the first 1000km or so.. after that it woke up but mileage wasn't as bad as yours.. that aint right at all.. do you know if it was ever tuned? i would think Gm would notice if it was but maybe they didn't check it?
Old 03-29-2012, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Cobalt_Daddy
if your tank is the same size as my ss/tc 49 litres. i get about 530km per tank mixed driving. dunno if that helps... other than fuel consumption i dunno. it's not throwing any codes on a scanner?

new engines do need time to break in but the mileage shouldn't be that bad... i had my engine replaced under warranty for the same issue at 36,000km. it was a bit slower for the first 1000km or so.. after that it woke up but mileage wasn't as bad as yours.. that aint right at all.. do you know if it was ever tuned? i would think Gm would notice if it was but maybe they didn't check it?

Yup it is the same size tank, I have had it scanned many times and theres no codes. To my knowledge it has never been tuned, Plus I had them reflash it a bunch of times. I really can not figure it out.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by GETCARTER
Yup it is the same size tank, I have had it scanned many times and theres no codes. To my knowledge it has never been tuned, Plus I had them reflash it a bunch of times. I really can not figure it out.
silly question but did you try googling it for similiar problems on other RL's?

hmm only way to check your trims is get an interceptor? i dunno man. if there was a decent local tuner around i'd suggest going to see them and doing some data logging to see if things are normal.. don't know many tuners around here though..
Old 03-29-2012, 08:53 PM

I have done a lot of research on the RL forum, but there's no other redlines around locally.

I do have an interceptor, honestly not sure how to read/understand the trims.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:02 PM

hmm im sure a tuner on here could help explain it to you. or try searching understanding fuel trims :0 wish i knew more about LSJ's and what could be causing this.. if ya get it figured out let me know and we'll get together for a cruise sometime

in the mean time goodluck and im sure someone on here will chime in soon
Old 03-29-2012, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Cobalt_Daddy
hmm im sure a tuner on here could help explain it to you. or try searching understanding fuel trims :0 wish i knew more about LSJ's and what could be causing this.. if ya get it figured out let me know and we'll get together for a cruise sometime

in the mean time goodluck and im sure someone on here will chime in soon
Appreciate it, I have been trying to figure this issue out for a lonnng time. I have been thinking just a tune could fix my problem but seems odd it would have to be that. Hopefully it does get fixed, thanks for the invite man.

Take care.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:19 PM

Appreciate it, I have been trying to figure this issue out for a lonnng time. I have been thinking just a tune could fix my problem but seems odd it would have to be that. Hopefully it does get fixed, thanks for the invite man.

Take care.
anytime. it's rare we see alot of members on the east coast out here.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:12 AM

I have obly seen one other redline in nova scotia.. and that was months ago. There are a few cobalt ss sc and turbo's kickin around in dartmouth.

Well I hope someone can point me in a direction I have not gone. Now I have had the gm dealer look for fuel leaks which comes back clean.. but I have noticed sometimes there is a faint smell of fuel in my car, this has only happened enough to count on one hand. I am not sure if the smell was coming from my car or from a nearby car/gas station. If this gives any thoughts or ideas.

Thanks again.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:18 AM

I get between 500-600 depending on how I drive, getting bad mileage now due to the evap/purge, and a random cylinder misfire
Old 03-30-2012, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by dxdean3
I get between 500-600 depending on how I drive, getting bad mileage now due to the evap/purge, and a random cylinder misfire
I would be one happy camper if I could get 500 to a tank! I am running winter tires still right now but going from my summers to my winters I did not see any change in mileage, and I know that people say winter fuel will give bad mileage. I was worried when winter came thinking I would get worse than 330ish to a tank.. but it never changed. Same mile on winter time fuel and summer.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:24 AM

dxdean are you tuned? Have you heard of:

JD Racing in NB? Trying to find a good place to tune or get dynoed.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:27 AM

Nah my car is stock right now, but I have heard of JD, from what I've heard he's a good tuner, Brett as SAS dyno is good too
Old 03-30-2012, 08:57 AM

I have obly seen one other redline in nova scotia.. and that was months ago. There are a few cobalt ss sc and turbo's kickin around in dartmouth.

Well I hope someone can point me in a direction I have not gone. Now I have had the gm dealer look for fuel leaks which comes back clean.. but I have noticed sometimes there is a faint smell of fuel in my car, this has only happened enough to count on one hand. I am not sure if the smell was coming from my car or from a nearby car/gas station. If this gives any thoughts or ideas.

Thanks again.
My wife's car had the same issue. Here's what I did to fix it. I noticed a fuel smell after driving the car so I had her sit in it and rev the engine up a few times while looking at the fuel injectors. When she did that I could see fuel spraying out of one of the injectors. I pulled the injector off and saw there was an o-ring that was in horrible shape. I bought new o-rings for each injector changed them all out and the problem stopped. Hope that may help you.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by willie_panic
My wife's car had the same issue. Here's what I did to fix it. I noticed a fuel smell after driving the car so I had her sit in it and rev the engine up a few times while looking at the fuel injectors. When she did that I could see fuel spraying out of one of the injectors. I pulled the injector off and saw there was an o-ring that was in horrible shape. I bought new o-rings for each injector changed them all out and the problem stopped. Hope that may help you.
I will double check this to make sure theres no leak, I changed the injectors about a week ago hoping this would fix it, unless they are seated bad. Thank you. Will post a update.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:21 AM

My friend had a crack in his exhaust manifold, he could also smell gas and was getting bad fuel mileage. Maybe that?
And Danny at jdracing is your best bet for a tuner, Brett at sas dyno tunes mainly V8s and so forth, and from what I've heard he does an "okay" job
Old 03-30-2012, 11:34 AM

I will take a look at my manifold to see if I can notice any cracks, I will look this weekend.

Thank you.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:21 PM

leaking oring shouldn't cut your mileage almost in half. i'd check for fuel leaks but if you don't smell it then there probably isn't one
Old 03-30-2012, 08:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i'm noticing that my fuel milage sux ass lately too wish i could fix it also
Old 03-31-2012, 01:45 PM

well not sure if anyone stated the obvious or not yet, i got bored and stopped reading, but ya, change how you drive, granny shift, easy pedal response.
i run my car at 25PSI making just under 350whp and just under 380tq and in city driving i get 300-400km to a tank and that's razzing on it, my car always shifts around 6,000rpm i rev to 7300 and on the highway i get 500-700 to a tank.
i drove 3 provinces in one day, left Halifax, went to Atlantic nationals in NB, left there went to the country concert in PEI then left there and was back in Halifax that night for a party and it took a tank and half of fuel, and i wasn't driving it easy either. cost us at the time $80 in fuel. now when i granny shift and put around in the car i get 600+ on highway, and 400+ city driving.
only things i replaced are:
1 stage colder plugs
nothing else has been changed other then after market turbo gear and fully built motor witch shouldn't matter.

good luck man, but if it comes to it, maybe consider a new car like a honda for a DD car and the cobalt as a toy.
I have an Acura EL as a DD and i fueled the car 2 weeks ago, im at 580km and i still have a 1/4 tank to go yet, PLUS it was the 1st time filling my tank come to find out my filler neck leaks at the tank so 3 days of fuel leakin out of it as well.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:49 PM

or when all else fails spend 200-300 and buy a AEM Wide band instal it and check to see if your running rich, that will also kill ur fuel mileage
Old 03-31-2012, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by CobaltSC06
My friend had a crack in his exhaust manifold, he could also smell gas and was getting bad fuel mileage. Maybe that?
And Danny at jdracing is your best bet for a tuner, Brett at sas dyno tunes mainly V8s and so forth, and from what I've heard he does an "okay" job
brett is an idiot over at sas dyno, my bet for tuners is JD Racing, and HCRacing, JD mainly cause he works on these cars, Jeff doesn't.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:25 AM

i call bullshit.. there's no way you make that kind of mileage driving that way.. if i drive my car hard im lucky if i get 450km to a tank on the highway and i have direct injection and not as much power..

besides that again... unless he's driving with the motor redlining the whole way home he's not gonna lose 250km to a tank.. something is definately wrong with the car..

Quick Reply: LSJ In Dartmouth..Help