Canadian North Pacific AK, British Columbia, Yukon [regional map]

New ride suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New ride suggestions

So i'm more than likely going to be going to school in kamloops this coming September and I'm looking for a truck or suv or another 4 door that is faster and safer as i have been rear ended twice now and it isn't fun.. The vehicles i have in mind are the following.

The biggest thing is gas mileage and cargo room.

Ford F150 Fx4
Ford Raptor..........only if i win the lottery
Toyota Tundra
Toyota 4runner trail edition
Dodge Ram <----Cheapest so far
Chevy Tahoe
Jeep Grand Cherokee

Any other ideas or suggestions?

and does anyone have an idea what the Coquihalla highway is like in the winter?

Thanks
Old 03-01-2012, 12:50 AM

coquihalla varies from day to day. ive been through in feb and it was horrible but driveable, and the following month it was like it had never snowed.

take a look at this page before yo udrive it.

http://images.drivebc.ca/bchighwayca...nInterior.html
Old 03-01-2012, 02:38 AM

If your looking at a truck take a look at the newer tacoma's, buy stay away from the AWD grand cherokee's
Old 03-01-2012, 05:56 PM

mulisha with all due respect you may want to do some reasearch b4 spouting stuff like that. the new tachomas have almoast obliterated toyotas rep for trucks. the 4x4 community has more or less black listed them. the company my dad works for baught a fleet of them and they have been nothing but trouble. the tundra is a good unit but fuel milage is not great.

the jeep for one thing doesnt have AWD they are a 4x4 which is a whole different ballgame. and as always they maintain a very good reputation with the offroading community. if you get the jeep get either the newer 3L v6 ones or the old 4L inline 6 cyl they get far better fuel milage than the v8 and thanks to a great 4wd system have enough power for most things. the v8 tends to have more power than the vehical can handle. anouther vehicle to consider would be the nissan pathfider (suv) or the frontier (truck) they have the same v6 as the cars and that engine has been proven over years and years to be a solid and reliable unit.

the rest of your ideas are all pretty good rlly it comes down to what can you find in good condition in your price range.

whatever you do make sure you have winter tires or good winter rated all seasons like goodyear wranglers.(lots of trucks run those all winter up north in prince george)
Old 03-01-2012, 05:59 PM
AWD > FWD

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I know I'm not from Canaduh but...

Out of your choices, I would go with the tahoe. I've always like the Tahoes, pretty much all of them from the past 10 years. They're one of the only SUVs I would own. Also why no Silverado? You listed both the Ram (which I hate) and the F150
Old 03-01-2012, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by rustyfender
mulisha with all due respect you may want to do some reasearch b4 spouting stuff like that. the new tachomas have almoast obliterated toyotas rep for trucks. the 4x4 community has more or less black listed them. the company my dad works for baught a fleet of them and they have been nothing but trouble. the tundra is a good unit but fuel milage is not great.

the jeep for one thing doesnt have AWD they are a 4x4 which is a whole different ballgame. and as always they maintain a very good reputation with the offroading community. if you get the jeep get either the newer 3L v6 ones or the old 4L inline 6 cyl they get far better fuel milage than the v8 and thanks to a great 4wd system have enough power for most things. the v8 tends to have more power than the vehical can handle. anouther vehicle to consider would be the nissan pathfider (suv) or the frontier (truck) they have the same v6 as the cars and that engine has been proven over years and years to be a solid and reliable unit.

the rest of your ideas are all pretty good rlly it comes down to what can you find in good condition in your price range.

whatever you do make sure you have winter tires or good winter rated all seasons like goodyear wranglers.(lots of trucks run those all winter up north in prince george)
im in the 4x4 community ( s10 on 38s and 1 tons and coil overs) so i know a thing or 2 of 4x4's, jeep made a quadra tac system for the ZJ's

pick whatever fits your needs, gas is going to $1.75 a litre this summer
Old 03-01-2012, 08:55 PM

... id like to see how you manage to get 38s on a s10. not saying i dont belive you but i would like to see it that would seem like a fairly major job cause you would have to trim the finders back to fit that large of tires in there

and the quadra-trac system is still a 4wd system not awd. it is simply electronically controled.

and ya all those choices are good vehicles. what matters is what is the best deal you find as far as options and condition.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:41 PM

owned my 2010 ram since new, been great to me. Stock tires leave much to be desired. But the quality has been great, ride is great, interior is by far my favorite, very nice set up. The Hemi is amazing, lots of torque. Even with the **** stock tires, it did fine in the snow we did have this winter and i live on a steep hill.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:44 PM

The F150 would be my second pick. I loved the FX4, but ford wants too much for it compared to the options i could get in my ram for the same price. Especially since i was looking at 2010's when i was buying new and they didn't have the new engines. The old 5.4 was pretty dissapointing compared to my hemi and i didn't like how the transmission shifted.

I havent driven the new 5.0 F-150 models, but they seem to get some nice reviews.

Tundra i dont like because of the open C frame for the box, it flex a lot with a load in the back. And you pay a lot more for them
Old 03-04-2012, 04:11 AM

just a thing to keep in mind when your talking about being safer in a truck or suv, people tend to forget that a truck does have a rigid frame, impacts from an accident tend to be more violent then in say for an example, a volvo. i see way too many people who get into accidents and get serious soft tissue damage, or killed in trucks because they have that false sense of safety because they're in a truck. Yes a truck with 4x4 can give you extra needed traction and control, but just because you have that doesn't mean you can drive faster than if you were in a car. you also have more mass and that means if you do get into an accident, you will get quite the shock when you impact. I drive a semi for work and i was t boned by a lady running a very late red light once and the impact even though she was in sedan, still the mass shifting from a larger and heavier object, i was thrown almost out the window, wearing my seatbelt. If it weren't for my seatbelt i would more than likely been thrown out the window and fallen a good eight feet and possibly landed on my head breaking my neck or causing other severe damage.

Just food for thought here but next time you drive a car, just try to pay attention to how your body reacts when you go over bumps and when you turn, then focus on it in a truck, you will feel the difference in the movement of mass due to the size. So as you should no matter what vehicle you drive, always drive with caution

PS coquihalla in the winter, be very careful, always check the weather reports, way too many people get hurt or killed on it every year because they do not drive to the proper conditions or are not equipped properly. 4x4 wont help you there with all weather tires when its white out conditions. I just had to attend a funeral of a friend of mine who was killed in a real bad accident a few weeks back because her boyfriend was not driving to the conditions of the road and collided with a semi head on at speeds over the limit.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMO, unless you really NEED a bigger truck, just get a smaller truck like a ford ranger or a chevy colorado or something... unless you enjoy $70+ a tank every couple days. (depending on how much you drive of course.)

ford rangers are awesome little trucks and they get the same gas mileage as a car.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:43 AM
Banned

the coke as they call it can be very unpredictable in the winter and at times undrivable at night.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:46 AM

$70?!?

I wish... Costs me $145 to till mine up lol. Has the larger tank though. 120 liters
Old 03-04-2012, 12:00 PM

even worse! lol. my thats enough gas to last my cobalt and srt4 a month. and i drive 40 miles a day at least
Old 03-04-2012, 12:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
tacoma, or at least thats what I would get. Seen them handle some serious loads and huge trailers.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by _UnLiMiTeD_
$70?!?

I wish... Costs me $145 to till mine up lol. Has the larger tank though. 120 liters
he is from kansas, gas is way cheaper in the states than here. I just filled my cobalt in seattle today for about $45 and change, here it cost me around $65
Old 03-05-2012, 01:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WTH is a litre? Litre-cola?
JK JK JK!!!
Just order a large Farva!
I dont want a large Farva! I want a litre of cola!
Old 03-05-2012, 06:02 PM

kingg5- I checked the coquihalla out on the cams today and it didn't look to nice out there, i had completely forgot about this website.

MulishaSS- I never really liked how the seat are so low in the Tacoma makes me feel like im still in a car.

TommyP- Tahoes are nice and i like them, and as for the Silverado my dad had one and i never really like the interior and the way the dash was set up.

_UnLiMiTeD_- The rams are nice, my buddy has a sport trim one and they are nice, as of now its a tie between the F150 and the Ram. The tie breaker i think is that you can get a fully loaded ram for 8 to 10k cheaper than a loaded F150. And for the Tundra the price is for sure the killing point on it.

fullmetaljacket- Thanks for the advice, I have been rear ended twice since 2007 and soft tissue injuries suck alot. Sorry to hear about your friend.

Dart_SI-I have sat in both the ranger and the Colorado/canyon and there wasn't alot of room, it kinda felt like i was in a small car.

Thanks for your advice and input

And does anyone in BC know if the Raptor would be too wide for alot of the trails ?

Last edited by buckethead; 03-05-2012 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-06-2012, 12:32 AM

all depends what kind of trails your talking about

only friend that has a full size built for trails and he does alot of scraping and 10 point turns
Old 03-07-2012, 05:05 PM

lol I don't think id be getting into the woods that deep, is it the overall length of his truck that kill him on the trails?
Old 03-08-2012, 12:43 AM

lol they always say that, the raptor will go anywhere you'll need it to go, that Tacoma is extreme over kill
Old 03-11-2012, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by buckethead
So i'm more than likely going to be going to school in kamloops this coming September and I'm looking for a truck or suv or another 4 door that is faster and safer as i have been rear ended twice now and it isn't fun.. The vehicles i have in mind are the following.

The biggest thing is gas mileage and cargo room.

Ford F150 Fx4
Ford Raptor..........only if i win the lottery
Toyota Tundra
Toyota 4runner trail edition
Dodge Ram <----Cheapest so far
Chevy Tahoe
Jeep Grand Cherokee

Any other ideas or suggestions?

and does anyone have an idea what the Coquihalla highway is like in the winter?

Thanks
I did the same thing just 6 months ago. I wanted a "safer in the snow" ride than my cobalt but I ended up not going into the trucks/suv's
Bought a 2001 Subaru Impreza RS with the 2.5L boxer engine and awd.
Love the rumble, just can't get enough of it!

I owned a pathfinder just 1 year before and the gas mileage was a joke especially now that it's at around $1.40 Per/L.

And the coquihalla is really dangerous around the uphill section where Hwy 5 meets Hwy 5C to Kelowna. Other than that just take it slow and your fine. I have done it many times all the way to Calgary.
Also remember that they have SPOT CHECKS where if you don't have snow tires the Police will tell you to go back to Vancouver and purchase them.

My 2 cents

Oh yes and I did not sell the cobalt. I still have that for the summer time
Old 03-11-2012, 07:24 PM

I'd would go with a ram if i were you
Old 03-11-2012, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by MulishaSS
all depends what kind of trails your talking about

only friend that has a full size built for trails and he does alot of scraping and 10 point turns
looks like a tacoma...far from a full size. thats a 1/4 ton
Old 03-11-2012, 11:35 PM

Full size Dana 60's on it

Quick Reply: New ride suggestions