Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing Chain Kit

I have a Chevy Cobalt 2006 SS/Supercharged. Motor gave up since timing
chain is damaged.

I'm looking in the Crate Engine Depot website and found the following:

1. Lsj L61 Timing Chain Deluxe Set Cedlsjdtc

2. Lsj, Lnf Balance Shaft Chain Kit Lsjlnfbck

I have a friend who is a GM certified mechanic and pointed out my
motor needs a new timing chain kit and water pump.

I'm wondering which of these two I need. What is the difference?

Regards

Jose
Old 01-06-2017, 02:12 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
there's a secondary chain behind the timing chain that spins balance shafts so the engine doesn't shake as much when running. if one chain went, id replace both the timing chain and the balance chain while I was in there. ive done a few 4g63 timing belt replacements (I know it's not a chain, and a different engine) and the balance shaft belt always came with the timing belt kits I get. granted, I remove the balance shafts from my 4g63's to eliminate the number of things that potentially go wrong and kill the engine (balance shaft chain/belt breaking and wreaking havoc inside the front case taking out the timing chain/belt), but, the lnf from what I know is a non interference engine where as the 4g63 gets bendy valves if the timing belt goes.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:12 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
That's two different timing sets. The first contains everything to change the cam and crank timing. The second handles the balance shafts and water pump.

For your issue you only need the first one. The water pump can be changed without changing the balance shaft timing set so long as you have the water pump gear holder. You can of course get both and replace the whole thing if you like.

The ecotec motor IS an interference motor, so if you slipped a tooth, you may have bent one or more valves.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:28 PM

Thanks for the reply guys

Yeah valves are bent. Going with the timing chain kit.

Regards

Jose
Old 10-03-2017, 02:02 PM

reviving this for possible future information/post.
I see a lot of posts about timing chains and what not but I have yet to see anyone compare the ZZP kit to the CED kit. I have ordered the ZZP kit and I will post pictures when it arrives. I know this kit does not include the bolts and gaskets that the CED kit includes.
It would be nice to compare the two kits so people can get a better idea of what they truly need to spend their coin on.
the ZZP kit is $300 and another $40 for the tensioner (which CED includes in their Timing chain deluxe kit for $265).
However I believe ZZP includes the Camshaft Timing chain and the Balance shaft chain. (CED is only timing chain).

I will have more info hopefully this Friday when my ZZP kit is delivered.

If anyone has pics of the CED deluxe kit please post them or share them with me via PM.

cheers
Old 10-05-2017, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by ROADKONE
I see a lot of posts about timing chains and what not but I have yet to see anyone compare the ZZP kit to the CED kit. I have ordered the ZZP kit and I will post pictures when it arrives. I know this kit does not include the bolts and gaskets that the CED kit includes.
It would be nice to compare the two kits so people can get a better idea of what they truly need to spend their coin on.
the ZZP kit is $300 and another $40 for the tensioner (which CED includes in their Timing chain deluxe kit for $265).
However I believe ZZP includes the Camshaft Timing chain and the Balance shaft chain. (CED is only timing chain).

If anyone has pics of the CED deluxe kit please post them or share them with me via PM.

cheers

I just got done installing the zzp kit. It includes: balance shaft chain, timing chain, balance shaft sprocket, cam sprocket, all chain guides, the upgraded tensioner, and all off the guide bolts. It does not include the cam bolts, harmonic balance bolts, or gaskets, however, zzp said that they reuse the bolts when they do the install and also reuse gaskets if they aren't ripped during tear down.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:20 AM
Banned

Received 96 Likes on 91 Posts
And??

Is it quiet?
Old 10-05-2017, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by HGT
And??

Is it quiet?
That's a good question. I had to clean the old timing chain guides out of the oil pan so I haven't ran it yet. Should have it back together Saturday so I will update you then.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by HGT
And??

Is it quiet?
just fired up the car and took it for a test ride. The zzp kit is quiet and it's running like a champ again!!
Old 10-10-2017, 02:07 AM

I actually bailed on the ZZP kit. Read they sell "take off" kits and this is why they do not supply the torque to yield bolts as they're compromised. I won't chance using torque to yield bolts.
I'm either going to order CED deluxe kit... Or piece together a full kit at a dealership and see what sort discount comes with a shop account.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:33 AM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by ROADKONE

cheers
Where did you see the CED kit for $265? Im looking on there and it's like $440 for there kit.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:11 AM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
Originally Posted by zeeky420
Where did you see the CED kit for $265? Im looking on there and it's like $440 for there kit.
The L61/LSJ kit is around $265. The LNF and LE5 kits are up around $440 I think because of the VVT. Unlike the L61/LSJ kits that just have simple sprockets.
The following users liked this post:
zeeky420 (10-10-2017)
Old 08-31-2019, 05:58 AM

Timing chain

I’m bringing this thread back alive. I have a 2006 cobalt SS/SC. My chain just started making noise. At first I thought it was the lifters sticking due to the tappy noise it made only when it was being started, then it went away. About a month later I started it leaving for lunch and it sounded like a Mack truck, new it wasn’t the lifters! I’m looking at replacing the chain/water pump. My question is would it be a recommendation to also replace the oil pump? It is regularly serviced, it does use oil, not a lot, I do keep an eye on it and fill it as needed. Just wanting to make sure I have everything needed.
Thank you in advance!
Old 09-03-2019, 08:16 AM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
Originally Posted by BriKristine
I’m bringing this thread back alive. I have a 2006 cobalt SS/SC. My chain just started making noise. At first I thought it was the lifters sticking due to the tappy noise it made only when it was being started, then it went away. About a month later I started it leaving for lunch and it sounded like a Mack truck, new it wasn’t the lifters! I’m looking at replacing the chain/water pump. My question is would it be a recommendation to also replace the oil pump? It is regularly serviced, it does use oil, not a lot, I do keep an eye on it and fill it as needed. Just wanting to make sure I have everything needed.
Thank you in advance!
How many miles are on your car? I'm sure the oil pump is fine. If you are replacing the water pump you may as well go ahead and replace the water pump/balance shaft chain and guides. They run on a separate chain.
Old 12-08-2020, 09:05 AM

hopewillfall, I know its been a while, but Do you still have the car? How is it running , is timing chain still strong and quiet? When you installed this, did you do anything to the cylinder head since that had to come off to do the timing chain. Wondering if you put in new valves, springs, guides, etc... or did you just put it back together as it was , as long as nothing was broken? new cylinder head gasket I assume at least? I need to do a timing chain upgrade on my '07 and just thinking about what else I should improve once everything is apart. 139,000 miles on the car.
Old 12-08-2020, 01:04 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 409 Likes on 352 Posts
Originally Posted by jimhefpgh
hopewillfall, I know its been a while, but Do you still have the car? How is it running , is timing chain still strong and quiet? When you installed this, did you do anything to the cylinder head since that had to come off to do the timing chain. Wondering if you put in new valves, springs, guides, etc... or did you just put it back together as it was , as long as nothing was broken? new cylinder head gasket I assume at least? I need to do a timing chain upgrade on my '07 and just thinking about what else I should improve once everything is apart. 139,000 miles on the car.
hopewillfall
Last Activity: 04-01-2018 01:19 PM
There are upgrades that can be made to the head (mainly springs), but really nothing is needed.

If you really wanted, you could get a ported head and put that on. Josh @ Cat V is just north of Dayton, so you could get a quick turn around. He usually has cores too, so he could probably just swap heads with you.

He's on FB & IG at Category V Port Worx.
Old 12-19-2020, 09:38 PM

Thanks USMC, I have talked to Josh at CAT V about his services and I'm still a little unclear about the necessity of getting a tune. When I get the timing chain upgrade done, If I also get a ported head from Josh, and don't do the supercharger porting or the LS4 throttlebody upgrade, do I need to get a tune done? Then if I later do a ZZP 2.5 exhaust, with maybe long tube headers, will I need a tune after doing the exhaust improvements? If I do get a tune done, will I have to tweak it in the future every time I do anything at all to the engine? The overall picture is I'm trying to do budget mods/improvements to get the engine freshened up (its got 139,000 miles) with a minimum of adjustments done to the ECU/PCM. I guess if I'm gonna get serious about performance I should learn how to tune it myself?
Old 12-21-2020, 12:55 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 409 Likes on 352 Posts
I'm not sure about the necessity to get a new tune with his ported head, but I know to fully benefit from it... you'll need a tune. And that applies with basically any modification to the flow. Just slapping on an intake or an exhaust is okay, but to FULLY benefit from it, your tune needs to have the MAF sensor's calibration adjusted at a minimum.

If you want to pull performance out of the car - a tune is necessary. And yes, learning to tune is generally the route to go. The LSJ is fairly simple to tune, and there are plenty of guides here and on the Redline Forums... but it is not without its risks, obviously.

If you're on the stock tune right now (aka the car has a rev limiter at 6500)... then you will benefit just from having the rev limiter raised to 7000-7200. With the majority of forced induction cars, the largest benefit to performance is almost always in the tune - my Audi picked up 95 hp with just a tune, for example (raised rev limiter and stopped bleeding off boost in higher RPMs).