Drag Racing Kindle Racing and Dalcorp Racing

2008 NHRA rulebook

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 12:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 NHRA rulebook

I was rereading this years rulebook and happened to glance at a rule that would affect many of the Cobalts here that race.

Section 4 - general Regulations Page 63
"Fuel/Air
Ambient-temperature air only; cooling or otherwise changing the conditions of the intake air is prohibited. Spraying of intake with any artificial spray or coolant prohibited." - 2008 NHRA Rulebook

This means the use of Meth injection.

I was looking into using Meth injection, but as it seems I'll only use it off track when I'm running only premium. I'll just have to run race fuel maybe with alcohol to compensate since I'll be running high compression pistons.

Hope this helps everyone.

Also the rulebook does say Methane can be used, as a fuel, but has to be properly sealed so moisture in the air may not contaminate the Methane since can rapidly absorb moisture. And if methane is contaminated you risk the chance of being disqualified.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would that not include nitrous as well since it also cools the intake air?
Old 03-10-2008, 12:13 PM

You might want to clarify for the T&T drivers. I know nothing about NHRA rules, only SCCA, but I know any sort of SB can get confusing for the casual competitor.

1) Is this something that is a no exceptions - i.e. If you're running at an NHRA sanctioned track, meth is not permitted. There are certain things that are prohibited at any auto-x - nitrous is the most universal example. Show up with a nitrous-equipped car and you'll be asked to leave and may be asked to not come back depending on whether or not you should have known better.

or

2) Is this something that only affects a competition run? i.e. You run this at an actual competitive event and you'll be DQ'd. Sort of like running an illegal mod in SCCA. Your times are scratched and you're told run the proper class, remove the mod, run a different car, or don't come back. However, if this is something that you only run seasonally in the winter and just haven't changed it yet or if you bring a set of non-stock wheels to a test and tune and run in the wrong class, no one really cares.

I think the vast majority of the people here go to the open lanes/test and tune nights where this wouldn't apply if it's a competition-only thing. I'd hate to see someone not do a mod they want to do for fear they'd be turned away from a non-competition track day when the rule has no bearing. However, if it's a universal thing as in you can't run it at all on any NHRA track at any time, then yeah, it's something people should be aware of.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:21 PM

T&T and Street nights are not affected, unless sanctioned by the NHRA event. This is general guidelines on only race classes. Sorry figured it'd be self explanatory.

The Meth injection on T&T and Street nights would be dependent on track rules, since those are usually held by the track, and are not official race days.

Again this rulebook is based on Sanctioned Race days, so the track probably will allow it. Can't hurt to check.

Nitrous injection is a different section, and is allowed in certain classes, but remember Nitrous oxide introduces more oxygen into the cylinder, it is not used for cooling.

Last edited by Julex; 03-10-2008 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-10-2008, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Julex

Nitrous injection is a different section, and is allowed in certain classes, but remember Nitrous oxide introduces more oxygen into the cylinder, it is not used for cooling.
BUT, the rapid expansion of the gas DOES give quite a cooling effect? Just saying.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:27 PM

Sorry figured it'd be self explanatory.
LOL, I just brought it up because I used to help with registration for auto-x...NOTHING is EVER self-explainatory. For every rule you find to be straight forward, it will confuzzle at least 25% of everyone else. If you find a rule to be up to interpretation, it will confuzzle 75% of everyone else. Was trying to save 500 people from coming in the thread freakin out thinking they'd get kicked out of a T&T night for meth injection.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:47 PM

Yes nitrous is used for cooling. It can be sprayed on or into an IC for a cooling affect.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:53 PM
Rent me! per hour

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
that rule is set up for the big boys. not the street cars.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:52 AM

So, for clarification, it is still okay for those that compete in a Street Legal Series to run Water/Meth injection or nitrous but not okay for those in a E.T. series? Just want to make sure since I've already had a rough time with tech at the driver's meeting last week concerning the 3rd hose that releases pressure from the top of the surge tanks. They said I would have to install some sort of a catch can, then they said since it is OEM I will be okay without one.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by domin8_gt
So, for clarification, it is still okay for those that compete in a Street Legal Series to run Water/Meth injection or nitrous but not okay for those in a E.T. series? Just want to make sure since I've already had a rough time with tech at the driver's meeting last week concerning the 3rd hose that releases pressure from the top of the surge tanks. They said I would have to install some sort of a catch can, then they said since it is OEM I will be okay without one.

Yes... street legal classes are an acception... to a point.
You still have to pass a tech inspection... which means you need a separate reservoir for the w/m, approved line and fittings, and a suitable pump.
Most kits offer an acceptable pump... but very few offer acceptable lines.

About the catch can.... NHRA techs love you if you put a can on every drain and over flow on your car... it's just one less car to worry about spilling fluids on the track.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:04 AM

Yea catch cans not only save the track, but it keeps your car clean when you blow a ring haha. And yes I KNOW Nitrous Oxide can be used for cooling, I work with chemicals Freezing pipes, but this is saying you cannot cool the air artificially, which includes spraying the Intercooler with Nitrous Oxide.

And yes this is a rulebook set up for actual points racing. While many tracks still use many of the rules for T&T and street nights. Really all the safety ones, there not to worried about you spraying your Intake lol.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Omega_5
Yes... street legal classes are an acception... to a point.
You still have to pass a tech inspection... which means you need a separate reservoir for the w/m, approved line and fittings, and a suitable pump.
Most kits offer an acceptable pump... but very few offer acceptable lines.

About the catch can.... NHRA techs love you if you put a can on every drain and over flow on your car... it's just one less car to worry about spilling fluids on the track.
I talked to my track and told them that the day I put a catch can on that third line that comes off the tank to release air pressure will be when they put on their pace car (used on the oval track) which is a newer Impala SS with the LS4. Automatically they started to give me ****. I told them that they better look at my car and see what I'm talking about. The lead tech came out and inspected both of my tanks (both because I have the dual pass with option b). He said they are no different than the ones on his wifes Malibu so it is fine. He said that is there are any issues at your track then to request the head safety inspector and explain it is the OEM tank. BTW, my track is an ASA member track.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:50 AM

I race in NHRA in the superstock class. Basicaly the rule pertains to class racers, when they have a "heads up race: (wich = fastest car wins) instead of a normal bracket race,What alot of guys have been doing is spraying the intake manifold and radiator with CO2 or upsidedown "air in a can" freon and other chemicals to get the motor super cooled, it was becoming a problem because people were using cryo coolers and whatnot and hiding the bottlesi guess their were saftey coserns. If a tech guy calls a street car out on it hes a douche bag. If you install your water meth corectly i doubt they would even notice it