Drag Racing Kindle Racing and Dalcorp Racing

track times

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
track times

I was just wondering what sort of track times you can expect from a stock cobalt ss? The reason why i'm asking is that i thought these cars were pretty quick. I had my first little race against one last night in my 5.0 and it wasn't much of a race. This kid kept wouldn't stop buggin me so finally at a 60 k roll i gave him the nod and even let him rip it first so i droped it to 2nd and wot and by 100kph i had atleast 3 cars on him. You know what i really wanna take one of these cobalts for a test drive. I've never driven a tubro car.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:07 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1time
I was just wondering what sort of track times you can expect from a stock cobalt ss? The reason why i'm asking is that i thought these cars were pretty quick. I had my first little race against one last night in my 5.0 and it wasn't much of a race. This kid kept wouldn't stop buggin me so finally at a 60 k roll i gave him the nod and even let him rip it first so i droped it to 2nd and wot and by 100kph i had atleast 3 cars on him. You know what i really wanna take one of these cobalts for a test drive. I've never driven a tubro car.

do you mean the ss or the ss/sc?? and what car do you have, the 5.0 is very broad... there are no turbo cobalts... the ss/sc would take lots of mustangs no problem, depending on exactly which one and which mods... ****, the base cobalt smokes some of the mustangs... there's lots of possibilities here:

1) it wasn't the supercharged cobalt
2) it was a base cobalt that had SS emblems
3) The driver sucked ass (most likely)

starting at 60, which is like 37 mph, is the cobalts strong point, and if you had 3 cars by 60mph, (100kph) then i'm guessing it was not a supercharged cobalt...
Old 08-25-2006, 12:54 PM

I'm pretty positive it was a cobalt ss. Don't they come with superchargers or what not???

At anyrate i have an 88 5.0 lx no a/c or anything and it runs very well. Not much done to it pretty well bone stock. All i've got is a full exhaust (no cats), no smoge pump, 2 inch drop and 275 50'S on the rear plus a k&n intake . OH yea just got a new centerforce clutch put on last week. The best run i've had was 13.8 but i think the cars capable of better with new rubber and i wanna put some gears in the back. Regardless its kind of hard to be a bad driver from a roll. What can a stock ss do in a 1/4 mile track. I've race a couple of those neon's from both a roll and a stop and never lost.

STock for stock other than vettes that i've had trouble with are the g35's i've had very close races with those
Old 08-25-2006, 01:00 PM
Banned

I'm pretty positive it was a cobalt ss. Don't they come with superchargers or what not???

At anyrate i have an 88 5.0 lx no a/c or anything and it runs very well. Not much done to it pretty well bone stock. All i've got is a full exhaust (no cats), no smoge pump, 2 inch drop and 275 50'S on the rear plus a k&n intake . OH yea just got a new centerforce clutch put on last week. The best run i've had was 13.8 but i think the cars capable of better with new rubber and i wanna put some gears in the back. Regardless its kind of hard to be a bad driver from a roll. What can a stock ss do in a 1/4 mile track. I've race a couple of those neon's from both a roll and a stop and never lost.
there's 2 ss models... one is the ss 2.4 n/a engine, and the other is the 2.0 supercharged. the 2.4 engine is also labeled a ss, but has 171 hp... A stock supercharged cobalt will be somewhere in the 14''s depending on the driver.. the problem so far is traction... a good driver that knows how to launch can pull a low 14, high 13 stock... i'm assuming it was the ss 2.4 because the supercharged cobalt is way underrated, most put down about 20 whp more than they're rated AT THE CRANK!! from a 40 roll a supercharged would have probably been pretty even with you, maybe pulling ahead slightly... that is the cars sweet spot... i say a bad driver because yes from a roll it's hard to **** up, but maybe he didn't downshift properly, or shifter wrong or something... the "average" times are higher than they should be right now due to driver error... has nothing to do with the power of the car...
Old 08-25-2006, 01:02 PM

I run 14.3-14.4. I have slips in my photo gallery to prove it if you want to take a look.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:04 PM
Banned

if you look at the trap speeds, you can see more of the cars power... this guy ^^^ had a trap speed of 101 and only ran a 14.3... cars with traction, or AWD that have a trap speed of 101 would be in the mid 13's probably...
Old 08-25-2006, 01:43 PM

They're pretty sweet cars. keep in mind though 60 kph in my car is the sweet spot in 2nd gear and i can pull hard right up to 110 kph and it'll only be reving a little over 5000 although 5.0 don't rev high. All the torque is around 3300 rpm. which is 300.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:48 PM

a 100 mph trap is good enough to run 12's with great traction
Old 08-25-2006, 02:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
smells a bit like a 2.4ss to me....just guessing though.

first stang i went against we were both at the top part of 3rd gear. it was a 98 GT with I/H/E.
I pulled on him during 3rd gear. 4th it was even all the way and he started to pull for the second half of 4th gear until we shut it down.

when we pulled over and he waved me over to talk to me his first words were "that things not stock is it????"

these little suckers are highly underrated. both in stock WHP and in street cred.

car is in the shop this minute for Stage 2.

if i see that mustang again? forgeddaboudit!!!

hehe dont take me as a mustang hater either....my bro in law runs a highly modded 94 5.0 with a 150 shot and they are hella sweet cars.

Just make sure you give the new kid on the block a bit of respect too cuz were here to play
Old 08-25-2006, 02:13 PM

Actually the difference with my 5.0 compared to the others is that from 87 to 92 is that they were forged pistons and they were more powerful like ten horse. however the 94's and up weight alot more. I always beat newer stock mustangs especially the convertibles they're soo heavy. However i still haven't raced a new one with 300 horse.

Actually this weekend i'm going to try n get out to test drive an ss cobalt to see how it feels if they let me. Lol i recently drove a older civic si and was so disappointed. I like cars that can put me back in my seat.

Are the cobalts front or rear wheel?
Old 08-25-2006, 02:33 PM

fwd :/

I think youd enjoy a test drive.
generally they are a very surprising ride.
the 205hp is a VERY conservative number.
people judge them on that number for the most part. which doesnt bother us much because they get underestimated
most are dynoing at around 215-220 at the wheels which would suggest around 240 at the crank?

I think youll notice a bit less "kick in the pants" than your mustang. but no doubt youll enjoy its above par handling and "instant boost".

go try it. im sure youll have fun.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:06 PM

Actually the difference with my 5.0 compared to the others is that from 87 to 92 is that they were forged pistons and they were more powerful like ten horse. however the 94's and up weight alot more. I always beat newer stock mustangs especially the convertibles they're soo heavy. However i still haven't raced a new one with 300 horse.

Actually this weekend i'm going to try n get out to test drive an ss cobalt to see how it feels if they let me. Lol i recently drove a older civic si and was so disappointed. I like cars that can put me back in my seat.

Are the cobalts front or rear wheel?
87 - 88 models 5.0 ( non- 88 cali cars) were speed density
87 - 92 (early 92) were all forged internals
late 92 - 93 5.0 had hyper pistons in them

i have raced a few stock/lightly modded fox bodies & SN 95 gen I and i have yet to loose to one from a roll avg win is around 1 - 1.5 lengths, a dig race comes down to launching which normally is me catching up to them around the 100 - 110 mph mark before passing to do shitty traction and the roller coaster ride from 0 - 10 mph.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:08 PM

Yea i 'm going to take one out for a rip. The only thing though is that i love rear wheel drive. Theres nothing like popping the clutch and having the ass end kick out while your going straight

yea 89's and on were mass density which were a little less powerful however easier to modify and put cams n stuff in.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:13 PM

A little advice if you test drive and plan on giving her a little. Do not dump the clutch! If you do you will be dissappointed in the acceleration. For the first time driver I suggest a simple street start. When I say street start you only need to engage the clutch then stab the gas. No need to spin the tires out of the hole, you get plenty of wheelspin when you hit about 3500 RPM in 1st gear.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:52 AM

just a little update on this. Last night i ended up running into this guy that i had the little race against at a local coffee shop. Turns out he lives around the corner from me. Anyways he does have a supercharged cobalt ss and its all stock. Pretty nice car. Anyawys he wanted to have a race from a launch. So i told him sure but only up to 120 because 120 because i'm not looking to kill anyone. We line em up at a little spot near our places and when the dust setttled i'd say i took him by about 3 cars up too 120. This guy is also a pretty good driver i didn't notice him spinning to much but then you pretty much can't hear his car over my exhaust. Through first gear i had him by about half a car and that was with a bit of spinning (i usually take off from an idle so i don't spin through all of first ). But once i hit second it was all over he didn't have a chance. Seriously though thats the closest race i've had in a while. I usualy kill all these 4 cyclinder imports by 15 lenghts or so lol. To be honest i usually only like to race vettes or other comparable cars. Like i say i run a 13.8 but the reason why i beat him is because i have much longer gears than him. by the time i hit 120 i was at the top of second and he was easily well into 3rd i'd say.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:30 PM

just a little update on this. Last night i ended up running into this guy that i had the little race against at a local coffee shop. Turns out he lives around the corner from me. Anyways he does have a supercharged cobalt ss and its all stock. Pretty nice car. Anyawys he wanted to have a race from a launch. So i told him sure but only up to 120 because 120 because i'm not looking to kill anyone. We line em up at a little spot near our places and when the dust setttled i'd say i took him by about 3 cars up too 120. This guy is also a pretty good driver i didn't notice him spinning to much but then you pretty much can't hear his car over my exhaust. Through first gear i had him by about half a car and that was with a bit of spinning (i usually take off from an idle so i don't spin through all of first ). But once i hit second it was all over he didn't have a chance. Seriously though thats the closest race i've had in a while. I usualy kill all these 4 cyclinder imports by 15 lenghts or so lol. To be honest i usually only like to race vettes or other comparable cars. Like i say i run a 13.8 but the reason why i beat him is because i have much longer gears than him. by the time i hit 120 i was at the top of second and he was easily well into 3rd i'd say.
When I race cars at the track that run in the 13.8 range I usually lose by about 3-4 car lengths. So that sounds about right!

Last edited by SS4ME; 08-29-2006 at 06:25 PM.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:22 PM

huh...

you need to explain yourself a little more.. not trying to be rude.. but more out of curiosity and trying to get the correct answer...

there is no way a T5 can go to 120mph in 2nd gear , thats the end of 4th or early 5th gear on that tranny .. plus your gearing would have to be something so freaking crazy you would have no torque what so ever..

like i said.. i know your not bullshitting.. i am just trying to get to the actual info.. i think your kinda confused on some things
Old 08-29-2006, 02:24 PM

yea 89's and on were mass density which were a little less powerful however easier to modify and put cams n stuff in.

Mass air.. not mass density.. speed density was Pre 89, except for 1988 California mustangs.. these were also Mass air.. due to emission requirements
Old 08-29-2006, 02:24 PM

I hope he didn't think he'd do BETTER from a dig against a Foxbody Probably just wanted to do it for fun.

Anywho, nice runs. As amazing as it may be, it seems people still underestimate Foxbody's. Sure, a ragged out GT Vert Auto is pretty dang slow, but a well-cared-for 5-speed GT or Coupe with a couple small-but-wise mods, or even stock, can still hang with a lot of today's "performance cars"... in a straight line of course.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Acidangel_5.0
there is no way a T5 can go to 120mph in 2nd gear , thats the end of 4th or early 5th gear on that tranny .. plus your gearing would have to be something so freaking tall crazy you would have no torque what so ever..
He's from Canada...
Old 08-29-2006, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Blainestang
He's from Canada...

aww.. i c.. they just need to stop with the metric junk and move on the better.. lol
Old 08-29-2006, 07:57 PM

yea 120 kilometers an hour. I'm from toronto. Seriously i never thought this guy would keep up so it surprised me.

Sorry meant to say mass air density or whatever.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Acidangel_5.0
aww.. i c.. they just need to stop with the metric junk and move on the better.. lol

actually....the rest of the world moved on from imperial measurement a long time ago.

US is behind everyone else on that one
Old 09-03-2006, 03:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
there's 2 ss models... one is the ss 2.4 n/a engine, and the other is the 2.0 supercharged. the 2.4 engine is also labeled a ss, but has 171 hp... A stock supercharged cobalt will be somewhere in the 14''s depending on the driver.. the problem so far is traction... a good driver that knows how to launch can pull a low 14, high 13 stock... i'm assuming it was the ss 2.4 because the supercharged cobalt is way underrated, most put down about 20 whp more than they're rated AT THE CRANK!! from a 40 roll a supercharged would have probably been pretty even with you, maybe pulling ahead slightly... that is the cars sweet spot... i say a bad driver because yes from a roll it's hard to **** up, but maybe he didn't downshift properly, or shifter wrong or something... the "average" times are higher than they should be right now due to driver error... has nothing to do with the power of the car...
high 13 stock??????????????? Where/when/who???? Video? Slips?
Old 09-03-2006, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by hatrickstu
a 100 mph trap is good enough to run 12's with great traction
Are you kidding me you need atleast 107 thats the lowest Ive ever seen. Is your car a notch or hatch? These cars can run very well stock with weight reduction.

Quick Reply: track times