Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Auto better than manual

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm gonna say is that I prefer to be in control of my shifting. Automatics are more expensive to rebuild and I think are more prone to needing one than a manual. Manuals may need a clutch, release bearing or a slave cylinder. I still think service and maintenance go to the manual. Also, if manuals aren't any good then why do some cars only come in manual such as the Cobalt SS 2.0 and the Corvette Z06. Base Corvettes and GTO's are upcharged when ordered with a manual.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CobaltCoupeCrazy
I'm gonna say is that I prefer to be in control of my shifting. Automatics are more expensive to rebuild and I think are more prone to needing one than a manual. Manuals may need a clutch, release bearing or a slave cylinder. I still think service and maintenance go to the manual. Also, if manuals aren't any good then why do some cars only come in manual such as the Cobalt SS 2.0 and the Corvette Z06. Base Corvettes and GTO's are upcharged when ordered with a manual.
covettes are the same price either way.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:58 PM

the only good thing about an automatic is that its easier to turn around toward the backseat and beat your kids in than in a manual. now i have to wait til i get home to hand out kidney punches to my monkeys. other than that manual is king. imo.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by HackAbuse
My auto is good to 325hp according to GM, thats all I care about
I dont know where you got that info, but it is unfortunately wrong.

Firstly GM doesnt rate their trans' in HP. they use Torque(since hp is merely a function of torque and rpm, the torque rating is more accurate anyway)

Secondly, the 4T45e is only rated for 205ft lbs.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:35 PM

I may be late but I find autos:

1) Boring
2) Power Robbing
3) Taking Away The Ability To Control The Car

Unless I had a dedicated drag car there is no reason I would ever want an automatic. When it comes to a street car, manual tranny > auto in every way.

Whats so good about consistency if its consistently slow?
Old 05-24-2006, 07:26 PM

both sides have their pluses and minuses

that being said, im on my 3rd car and they have all been manual
manual for life!
Old 05-25-2006, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by wesmanw02
Yes, but many vehicles don't engage the TC clutch until the car reaches a certain speed in overdrive. I see what you are saying about the PCM. I notice in my car that whenever I am cruising under light throttle, the PCM tries to keep the RPM's as low as possible. Doesn't always work (runs out of power) but at least it tries

As far as I know, my 4-speed Cavalier can lock the TC in both 3rd gear as well as 4th. You can feel when its locked, because the engine speed is consistantly proportional to the vehicle speed. Problem is that it will unlock with any slight change in throttle position, which kind of defeats the purpose. What they should do is program the TC clutch to lock at anything above a slight roll, much as a driver would do with a clutch in a manual. It would be much more efficient, but wouldn't be quite as smooth.
GM trannys are known for being butter smooth, this is why. i've seen lots of autos that run well for several hundred thousand miles. the two things that kill an automatic are dirt and heat, just like an engine. have it flushed every so often and don't over load the car and it should be fine for as long as you own your car. assuming that you don't beat on it.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by IonNinja
Whats so good about consistency if its consistently slow?
Old 05-25-2006, 11:09 AM

it's cheaper to replace brake pads then a clutch and auto is only like a .02 sec slower with perfect shifts
Old 05-25-2006, 01:32 PM

I love my stick.

My last 3 vehicles were auto, and I've always want to drive a manual, and my cobalt is that.

I'm gonna say anything about which is faster or better, since I really don't know a lot of info between the 2; similarities or differences. My choice is a manual, I feel that I have more control over the car, than in an auto!
Old 05-25-2006, 01:37 PM

I think it all depends. I think mostly every stock car, the manual will be a hair faster. However, like someone said, you could buy torque converters and shift kits and all that other good stuff to make your auto shift a lot faster. You get consistant times with an auto as well.

Another thing is that I belive auto is good for turbo'ed cars. Doesn't an auto turbocharged car hold boost through the gears? Because when you have a manual, you have to let off the gas and press the clutch in. Once you press on the gas again you have to build up boost again....unless you're powershifting. I don't know, it probably doesn't make a difference but I could've sworn I have heard that somewhere.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Autos have different Gear Ratios

for example, the Manual Base Model's first gear ratio is in the 3:1 ballpark whereas the auto's is more like 2:1. That means that the manual will have ~30-50% more torque off the line
Old 05-26-2006, 08:31 AM

Autos have different Gear Ratios

for example, the Manual Base Model's first gear ratio is in the 3:1 ballpark whereas the auto's is more like 2:1. That means that the manual will have ~30-50% more torque off the line

The Getrag 5's first ratio is 3.58:1 and the 4T40-e first ratio is 2.96:1

So first off thats only an 18% difference in gear ratio differnce, and you cant forget that in the automatics favor it has the torque multiplification effect of the torque converter, coupled with the fact that the auto allows the engine to run closer to its torque peak from initial start and you see the advantage is small if non existant for the manual box. The manual box is however as discussed before, lighter, lower drag, and less complex
Old 05-26-2006, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Maven
The Getrag 5's first ratio is 3.58:1 and the 4T40-e first ratio is 2.96:1

So first off thats only an 18% difference in gear ratio differnce, and you cant forget that in the automatics favor it has the torque multiplification effect of the torque converter, coupled with the fact that the auto allows the engine to run closer to its torque peak from initial start and you see the advantage is small if non existant for the manual box. The manual box is however as discussed before, lighter, lower drag, and less complex
You're the tech, so I'm going to trust you
I guess I did a good thing when i got the Auto
Old 05-26-2006, 01:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Manual For Life!

You should drive your car, not let your car drive you. Garbage Automajic!
Old 05-26-2006, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Maven
and the 4T40-e first ratio is 2.96:1
Wait... we have the 4T45-e tranny, is there any difference in ratios?
Old 05-26-2006, 03:08 PM

Wait... we have the 4T45-e tranny, is there any difference in ratios?
Nope...the only differences worth noting are that the 4t45e uses DEXRON VI fluid and the 40 used III. There are no noteworthy ratio, torque handling, or size /weight differences between the two
Old 06-18-2006, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by thehemi
Have you guys priced a clutch replacement vs brake pad replacement?
Why would anyone want to use a clutch to replace their cheap brakes?
And if 1-2 seconds hurts your passing ability, you probably should take
driver's education again and learn how to drive responsibly.

An automatic with a good shift kit rules all. End of story.
Only someone who can't drive stick would make such a lame comment.
A Manual is just better for control.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by KnightRider
Only someone who can't drive stick would make such a lame comment.
A Manual is just better for control.

it's like re-animator... it's back from the DEAD
Old 06-23-2006, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by betterthanbad
Here is an interesting way to look at it.

I have driven manual since I was 16.......that's 19 years. I am a good driver and I know when to shift....I don't even look at the tac's I just know when to shift by the sound of the engine. It's interesting to note that an experienced driver realizes that the car becomes an extention of your own body. Not only on the inside but on the outside as well. That is to say you know where the bumpers are in relation to other obsticles. That being said, a driver of a manual car is, in my opinion, more aware of his/her surroundings as well as being in total control of the vehicle. I wonder what stats there are on accidents with manual vs. auto in relation to driver experience!!!!!
I just read this thread, and this by far puts my mind to work. I would like to conduct an experiment with this. I'd take data from populated areas such as New York, California, parts of Texas, and maybe a few other states. That really makes an interesting point.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:39 PM

Went on a road trip for work and the customer wanted to let me drive his mustang.When I saw that it was an auto I told him no thanx.He asked why.I said "It's an automatic,I dont know how to drive one.But if youre in an offerin mood, I'd like to take your plane for a hop." His turn to say no thanx.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:56 AM

A little info about our auto trannys.

4T45e can take approx 190 HP and 230 ft pounds of torque to the wheels before it starts to need upgrading. Considering this compared to a lot of other auto trannys out there it's a very high breakage point for the car it's being used in.

Also not to mention the V6 3.5L 210 HP Malibus use this tranny also.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:14 AM
Premium Member

I dont particularly care, but what everyone is calling AutomaticStick I believe is also known as Sports Tronic....
Old 08-07-2006, 01:49 AM

Manual manages the car's MPG a lot better than auto. If you wanna do 30 and not have the car rev at 3k rpm, throw the thing in 5th, and the rpms drop to 1.5k. Now power, but better for crusing.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:52 AM

I just bought a brand new 06 cobalt with a auto trans, I'm not to worried as this is my daily driver (my "toy" car is my 93 Talon which is a 5spd.) and this thing has go! I have the 2.2 on the LT model with a couple extras that I'm too lazy to list but this thing can still pull it's weight, and I'm quite happy with the purchase.

I've driven 5spd since I got my license, and going to an auto has believe it or not made my ride a little more enjoyable. I don't know how to explain it but it is.

Quick Reply: Auto better than manual