Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

catastrophic failure: cv axles

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 05:51 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
um...what? lol. the cv joints broke because they were on too much of an angle. the rotated mounts will make them straight again. that is the point of rotated mounts.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by ff_drift_lol
um...what? lol. the cv joints broke because they were on too much of an angle. the rotated mounts will make them straight again. that is the point of rotated mounts.
This has nothing to do with the angles that a lowering a car does. Rotated mounts align the transmission output shafts to the wheel hubs. When viewed from the side of the car. Lowering a car puts stress on the CV joints in the same plane except when viewed from the front of the car.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:16 PM
Banned

it's supposed to raise the transmission...push the engine forward towards the front of the car. it's gonna work I'm telling you! you will see.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:32 PM
Banned

how many times do I have to say this...I want the car SLAMMED not lowered. I am sitting on CUT progress sport springs with modified stock struts. the struts will not blow out because of how I modded them and it is only temporary. Yes, this is what happens when you cut your springs and I will not make the mistake again. The issue is resolved and it will be driving happily some time next week.
hell i'll bet an extra $100 that you damage more stuff over the next year than just the axles.

i also bet you're already running worn out struts and with those springs ruined, they'll be completely blown out within weeks.

Originally Posted by slowswap
This has nothing to do with the angles that a lowering a car does. Rotated mounts align the transmission output shafts to the wheel hubs. When viewed from the side of the car. Lowering a car puts stress on the CV joints in the same plane except when viewed from the front of the car.
i'd say we leave him alone and only ask for updates on how much equipment chopping springs will end up costing him

Last edited by selfinfliction; 10-30-2009 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-31-2009, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 212 Likes on 171 Posts
lemonade anyone?
Old 10-31-2009, 05:56 PM
Banned

memememe!

so...the struts are shortened so they don't blow out. I cut them both 2 inches shorter and put them on my lathe to machine the ends, threaded the ends and the only thing different is it doesn't have torx on the top now. another ghetto way to lower a car.

I think the only problems I will have from here is wheel bearings and tires, which I just replaced both front hubs and tires 3 days ago. sooner or later I will have to get coilovers. I've been talking to some people about that and getting custom springs made. regardless I will be eating hubs and possibly break some knuckles. we'll just have to wait and see.

here's some videos of the carnage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt61rkDVW38
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbO_hu9WmDQ
Old 10-31-2009, 05:58 PM

You'll snap axles before you eat wheel bearing or knuckles.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:08 PM
Banned

so I will just add you to the list of people that doubted me.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:12 PM

so I will just add you to the list of people that doubted me.
Considering I've slammed two Cobalt's to the point of axles binding, I know you'll need different axles.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:19 PM
Banned

I got different axles silly. and I won't be going fast anymore lol. might as well take out my supercharger. this thing's gonna be all show from now on.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:47 PM

I got different axles silly. and I won't be going fast anymore lol. might as well take out my supercharger. this thing's gonna be all show from now on.
You're axles still aren't clearanced for lowering *******. Like I told you before.

Last edited by slowswap; 10-31-2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:09 PM

You NEED shorter axles that will allow CV travel when your slammed. That's all there is to it. When you slam your car that much it pushes your CV joint together more then it would if your car was sitting at factory ride height. Hence when you hit bump hard enough it smashes your CV joint together causing it to bind and blow apart. It's also hard on your balljoints, wheel bearings, motor mounts, transmission seals, etc. The CV joints will just be the most apparent problem because they take the most abuse.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:56 PM
Banned

nice, thank you for that info. I have been talking to some vw guys about it as well they mentioned frame notching for the axle clearance and/or sway bar modding. there's something fishy going on and I will definitely figure it out. again, thanks for all the support so far.

Originally Posted by slowswap
You're axles still aren't clearanced for lowering *******. Like I told you before.
you didn't explain it like he did^^^
so lose the attitude or get off my thread. I don't know everything so don't expect me to.

Last edited by ff_drift_lol; 10-31-2009 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-31-2009, 09:44 PM
Banned

do they make adjustable control arms for our cars? that would fix your problem, and it should be cheaper than custom shortened axles.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by boost_junkie16
You NEED shorter axles that will allow CV travel when your slammed. That's all there is to it. When you slam your car that much it pushes your CV joint together more then it would if your car was sitting at factory ride height. Hence when you hit bump hard enough it smashes your CV joint together causing it to bind and blow apart. It's also hard on your balljoints, wheel bearings, motor mounts, transmission seals, etc. The CV joints will just be the most apparent problem because they take the most abuse.
shhhh

the only problem he has is that his engine needs to be rotated and stronger axles.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:23 PM

if u can find a way to raise the eng/trans assm in the eng bay the same amount that you lowered it this wil solve all your problems with axle bind and failure
Old 11-01-2009, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by codytheoutlaw
do they make adjustable control arms for our cars? that would fix your problem, and it should be cheaper than custom shortened axles.
Not sure if the make them or not. But yeah that would probably work.

Originally Posted by turbocamaross
if u can find a way to raise the eng/trans assm in the eng bay the same amount that you lowered it this wil solve all your problems with axle bind and failure
By the looks of how low his car is he would more then likely have to put a hood with a huge cowl induction setup just to clear the VC.

nice, thank you for that info. I have been talking to some vw guys about it as well they mentioned frame notching for the axle clearance and/or sway bar modding. there's something fishy going on and I will definitely figure it out. again, thanks for all the support so far.
That very well could be your problem too. When you get it back together you should get some pictures of how much room there is between your axle and frame and sway bar. Is there a mark or anything on the axle from where it may have been smashing prior to your CV joint blowing apart?

Last edited by boost_junkie16; 11-01-2009 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-01-2009, 12:56 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow...just ******* wow. You knock on other peoples car and talk trash about what they do and then you cut your springs to make it look lower? just ******* wow. I always called people that cut their springs to look lower pathetic...mainly civics. But when someone does that and then talks trash about other peoples car...thats worse then pathetic. Thats...well, iiunno what that is...im speachless.

I'm selling this car for something with good stance anyway. I can't even slam this thing because it was designed to ride like a truck. well built car, poorly designed. I am sorry I am going around being a douche bag on this forum. I am just sick of the bolt on/dealer warranty epidemic that has hit the tuner scene. there's no style left. you guys are putting your cars together like lego blocks and I don't see the fun in that.
Guess you arent getting **** for your cobalt now that you ruined it...you will be lucky if you get $1500 for it
Old 11-01-2009, 02:14 AM
Banned

who is the guy with the yellow ss/sc that has the different lug pattern, the axis wheels, and all the fancy time attack suspension. his car is pretty low and he said he has his coilovers cranked up as high as they will go. look into his setup if you want to be super low.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Snakes709

Guess you arent getting **** for your cobalt now that you ruined it...you will be lucky if you get $1500 for it

haterrrr
Old 11-01-2009, 03:06 PM
Banned

haterrrr

yea thats right, im a hater when 1. my car costs 3x as much as your car 2. my car is faster then your car. 3. my car looks better then your car. 4. even my cobalt that i sold was better in every way then your car. 5. I paid for the proper mods on my car, instead of trying to make a martha stewart mod and wrecking the car.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Snakes709
yea thats right, im a hater when 1. my car costs 3x as much as your car 2. my car is faster then your car. 3. my car looks better then your car. 4. even my cobalt that i sold was better in every way then your car. 5. I paid for the proper mods on my car, instead of trying to make a martha stewart mod and wrecking the car.
you car cost 3x's more, AND its faster!!! no wai!!!!!

who cares. there are balts on here that cost 3x's less that are faster. its not your car so i don't see why you are so worried about it.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by codytheoutlaw
you car cost 3x's more, AND its faster!!! no wai!!!!!

who cares. there are balts on here that cost 3x's less that are faster. its not your car so i don't see why you are so worried about it.
im not worried about it...hence why i laughed when i read he snapped his axles. I just find it funny as hell that this guy goes on peoples threads about their car and calls it rice when in fact this guy puts hard wood flooring in his trunk and cuts his springs instead of going out and buying a real set of lowering springs, then snaps a axle due to his stupidity. I know people do their own mods to save money but in the end he just has to spend x4 times as much money repairing his car.

And you are right, there are faster cars then mine that are 3x less. I could care less, my bike is like 10x cheaper then most sports cars and is faster. That wasnt my point though, my point was how am i hater or jealous of his car when its a joke. I seen civics better looking when lowerd then his car and guess what...they didnt snap there axles. All i have to say is karma is a bitch. You call someones car that is better then yours rice because it isnt lowerd and then you go and do a home made lowering to your car to make it look better and then snap the axles...karma is a bitch indeed
Old 11-01-2009, 06:03 PM

so, as you can see I dropped my car ridiculously low. It's been 3 days with this chopped spring setup (don't hate). I was driving on the long island expressway and hit a bump while accelerating. boom...smoke, redline, jingling things on the highway. .

Sawing the springs and rolling with the stock axles, great move....
That must have sucked.

BTW, a "chopped spring" has nothing to do with a suspension "setup", it's just about being a fukin ricer. Sorry dude.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by hatrickstu
news flash. you wont get smoke with a broken axle.
If the CV boot ripped and some of the grease hit the exhaust you could get smoke.

Quick Reply: catastrophic failure: cv axles