Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Clutch Prep

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch Prep

I've got a GMPP clutch that's about to go in my car. Just wondering if it is safe to spray down the clutch disc with chlorinated brake cleaner? Anything else I should do to prep the clutch before it goes in?

Also, I didn't bother ordering a new clutch pipe. Shouldn't be an issue to reuse it right?

Last edited by LTBALTBMX; 11-26-2016 at 09:50 PM.
Old 11-26-2016, 09:55 PM

Received 316 Likes on 296 Posts
Originally Posted by LTBALTBMX
I've got a GMPP clutch that's about to go in my car. Just wondering if it is safe to spray down the clutch disc with chlorinated brake cleaner? Anything else I should do to prep the clutch before it goes in? Also, I didn't bother ordering a new clutch pipe. Shouldn't be an issue to reuse it right?
I didn't spray mine down with anything. Used brake cleaner on the pressure plate face as it had some rust preventative spray on it. I would highly recommend changing the pipe, especially if you are changing the throw out bearing.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:20 PM

Received 89 Likes on 82 Posts
Don't spray the disk with anything, only clean the oils from the pressure plate and flywheel friction surfaces. As to not replacing the clutch pipe, I'd have to agree with Nova, but that's on you. I would personally recommend replacing it, cause if it leaks the entire assembly is coming right back out. Not something I would enjoy doing again if it was preventable.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:16 AM

Received 60 Likes on 60 Posts
Yeah the clutch pipe is a $10 part that required a complete transmission removal again if you didn't change it and has a high failure rate. I always change them when doing a cobalt clutch.
Old 11-27-2016, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will go get a new clutch pipe then.

My clutch disc was touching the pressure plate in the packaging. Now I am concerned about the rust inhibitor oil on the disc which is why I want to spray it with some brake cleaner. Just worried that the brake cleaner might damage the clutch material. Thoguhts?