Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Drivetrain Installation Progress On Jackstands

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 12:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drivetrain Installation Progress On Jackstands

Well, when we did the CM clutch jobs on a lift this task was fairly easy, but on jackstands it's a little slower especially when you're working solo. So far I almost have everything removed, and all I have to do is unbolt and lower the trans out. Then it's time for the new Exedy flywheel and clutch to be installed, the new trans with a working 3rd gear , and new Driveshaft Shop axles to complete the package! I think after the trans is removed though, I'm going to catch some z's. I'll keep everyone posted on my progress.
Old 02-17-2007, 12:39 AM

wanna come install my exedy for me?
Old 02-17-2007, 12:45 AM

Props to you man, not many people can install things like that, wrench on there ride.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:40 AM

Well, I got the tranny out and got the clutch/flywheel removed. I'll install all the goodies in the morning/afternoon after I get some sleep so I'm more alert and pay better attention to the fine details.

Originally Posted by chipmonk212121
wanna come install my exedy for me?
I wouldn't mind giving you a hand if you were closer and had a lift. I'd rather let you learn how to do it, than me do it for you. Right now though, that's a HELLS NO for at least a month or so after this job! I'm sure my back will be sore as hell from sliding on the garage floor and working upwards!

Thanks for the props Shortbus, I definitely take pride in doing this myself as it makes the cruise afterwards so much more enjoyable!
Old 02-18-2007, 06:28 PM

Well, I finished it all up today. I will never do that again on jackstands unless absolutely necessary! It took forever, but it was well worth it when I got to drive it around again. The only issue I have is that the new Driveshap Shop axles are slightly longer, so my centercaps on the Rota's had to be removed. Small price to pay for beefy axles though.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:31 PM

Good news.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Matty
Good news.
Certainly is! Now, tommorrow I finally get to play with my HPTuners software that's been sitting in a box for a month!
Old 02-18-2007, 06:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2K5SS/SC?
Well, when we did the CM clutch jobs on a lift this task was fairly easy, but on jackstands it's a little slower especially when you're working solo. So far I almost have everything removed, and all I have to do is unbolt and lower the trans out. Then it's time for the new Exedy flywheel and clutch to be installed, the new trans with a working 3rd gear , and new Driveshaft Shop axles to complete the package! I think after the trans is removed though, I'm going to catch some z's. I'll keep everyone posted on my progress.
please tell me how you like the exedy...i'm going to be getting this soon!
Old 02-18-2007, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Boosted_SS
please tell me how you like the exedy...i'm going to be getting this soon!
So far the Exedy is great. I will say though that is a go or no go clutch with a real firm feel! I'm still getting used to it since I only have 50 or so miles driving it. It feels a little more aggressive than my CM FX300 was at grabbing. The only thing that may aggrivate is the minor chatter associated with the 6-puck design. It sounds like the tranny is whinning when decelerating, but that's just the clutch/flywheel chatter because when decelerating in neutral there is no noise. Other than that, it was definitely money well spent as there was ZERO issues unlike the whole CM ordeal!
Old 02-18-2007, 10:15 PM

So far the Exedy is great. I will say though that is a go or no go clutch with a real firm feel! I'm still getting used to it since I only have 50 or so miles driving it. It feels a little more aggressive than my CM FX300 was at grabbing. The only thing that may aggrivate is the minor chatter associated with the 6-puck design. It sounds like the tranny is whinning when decelerating, but that's just the clutch/flywheel chatter because when decelerating in neutral there is no noise. Other than that, it was definitely money well spent as there was ZERO issues unlike the whole CM ordeal!
Thats great! Glad you got it done! I will deff, be geting this clutch.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Shortbus
Thats great! Glad you got it done! I will deff, be geting this clutch.
Definitely worth the mula! Now I just need to hurry up and break it in so I can play around. I will say though that it's a hell of a lot faster than the stock Scion tC I've been driving around. I looked at the speedo and thought it was messed up because I was cruising at 80 in a 45/50mph zone! Oops! I slowed down though when I noticed!
Old 02-18-2007, 10:46 PM
p7x

2K5 good to hear ur back up and running!!!
Old 02-18-2007, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by p7x
2K5 good to hear ur back up and running!!!
Thanks bro. I'm so stoked right now it's not funny!
Old 02-18-2007, 11:37 PM

I was without my car for 2 months too man, I can feel ur pain, shes back now with a new tranny though.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:01 AM
Banned

nice i normally don't downshift when i'm slowing down anyway so that shouldn't be an issue
Old 02-21-2007, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Ljavy17
I was without my car for 2 months too man, I can feel ur pain, shes back now with a new tranny though.
That's still not a bad time stint in comparo to my total downtime LJ!

1 month down for first engine replacement
1 month down due to 3 CM clutches
1 month down due to blown headgasket on new engine
3-4 weeks down for the 3rd gear being broke
4 months of sitting in the garage during my deployment to the sandbox!

Total broke down time almost 4 months total in under a year and a half! 8 months total if you include my deployment!

Glad to hear you got yours fixed as well though!
Old 02-21-2007, 11:37 PM

That's still not a bad time stint in comparo to my total downtime LJ!

1 month down for first engine replacement
1 month down due to 3 CM clutches
1 month down due to blown headgasket on new engine
3-4 weeks down for the 3rd gear being broke
4 months of sitting in the garage during my deployment to the sandbox!

Total broke down time almost 4 months total in under a year and a half! 8 months total if you include my deployment!

Glad to hear you got yours fixed as well though!
Crap, i'm new here, lol.

How did the CM feel or do that was the problem? I've read some posts about it, but still what was it like? How did you blow 1 motor? (pulley size? hpt?) a headgasket? again..what where you going?

I thought these motors were way better then the jbody platforms. Hell, i've had 10psi of boost on a stock 2.4l ld9 for over a year and tons of track time with zero problems. Again, it would only run 13.9s in street form on street tires.

Nate
Old 02-21-2007, 11:52 PM

Maan , MAJOR props to you for doing this on jackstands Bill ....I was cussing doing it on a lift

Other than the elbow grease , glad to hear everything went smoothly the 1st time around for ya . Time to have some fun
Old 02-22-2007, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by c24na
Crap, i'm new here, lol.

How did the CM feel or do that was the problem? I've read some posts about it, but still what was it like? How did you blow 1 motor? (pulley size? hpt?) a headgasket? again..what where you going?

I thought these motors were way better then the jbody platforms. Hell, i've had 10psi of boost on a stock 2.4l ld9 for over a year and tons of track time with zero problems. Again, it would only run 13.9s in street form on street tires.

Nate
CM worked out their kinks with the final version for me at least. The final (3rd version) clutch was working great. Some people here are still having issues though, and the redline guys are on a rampage about the CM clutches not working. I decided to do away with it all together, and the Exedy Hypersingle is TENFOLD better than the CM one! No noises, problems, or quirks at all!

My 1st motor blew with just an intake on it. I rocker broke and destroyed the whole top end on its war path, so the motor was scrapped. Not my fault though. The headgasket blew on the second/current motor for unknown reasons. All I knew is that when it blew I replaced the shitty stocker with a kick ass Cometic gasket and Golden Eagle headstuds.

Just as a side note, I had a LD9 J-body with the 2.6" pulley and cracked a piston on that motor! You could say if it's gonna break, I'll be the one to find it.

Originally Posted by SilverSS/SC
Maan , MAJOR props to you for doing this on jackstands Bill ....I was cussing doing it on a lift

Other than the elbow grease , glad to hear everything went smoothly the 1st time around for ya . Time to have some fun

Everthing went smoothly this time for me for sure! I think it's because I did it all by myself, except for lifting the tranny back up, and I'm real damn meticulous about my work. If you think you were cussing on the lift, you should have seen me when the tranny fell off the jack and squished my pinkey between in and the block! I caught it though, but it hurt like hell! Fun time will be this weekend as the clutch will be all broke in by then, and I have a date with that infamous SRT-4 that beats up on me!

Last edited by 2K5SS/SC?; 02-22-2007 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-22-2007, 06:20 PM

sorry to get off topic but hey 2k5ss/sc where did you get your rims, what make and size are they? Thanks
Old 02-22-2007, 07:00 PM

Custom order through Rota Wheels. Only 5 or six sets running around like them. They are 17" Rota Subzeros and weigh in at a light 17lbs.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:04 PM
Banned

hey man i got a question for ya...

the one site i looked at the exedy on mentioned something about an adapter that was needed. did you need any kind of adapter? here's the link...

http://www.amazon.com/Exedy-GH02SD-c...8&s=automotive
Old 02-22-2007, 07:09 PM

I didn't use any adapter, nor was one included. I'll double check the instructions, but there was nothing said in there about anything either. If I'm missing something I'll be pissed, but the clutch is working great!
Old 02-22-2007, 07:24 PM
Banned

nice...had me a bit nervous LOL did you read the description where it said it needed an adapter?
Old 02-22-2007, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Boosted_SS
nice...had me a bit nervous LOL did you read the description where it said it needed an adapter?
I read the description and was like WTF? I know I just read the specifics like what to torque the bolts to since I know all the tricks of installing as this is my fourth, so I got a little nervous reading that! I went and re-read the manual just a few minutes ago, and all is well. There is nothing about an adapter period! The flywheel wouldn't have bolted up perfectly otherwise. Plus, the bolt hole pattern for the flywheel is made specifically so that it can only be bolted on when all the holes line up. If you are not all lined up, the flywheel will not bolt up. We are all good thank goodness!

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Installation Progress On Jackstands