Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Fidanza flywheel anygood

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 09:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Fidanza flywheel anygood

Hey there so just got all all my stage 3 kit. My clutch is original to the car with 200 000 km. I figure once I get it out, I'll end up feeling some slipping and have to uprade. I found a good deal on the fidanza lightened flywheel and exedy stage 1 or the pro kit I guess it would be considered. Anyone have the fidanza and recommended it, or stay away. I can't see how almost 10 lbs if rotating mass off the crank would be bad, but not sure how the vibes or any negative aspects of it. Not my DD summer car. can pick up clutch and flywheel for 300 so really hard not too just don't want to buy crap. Thank again for the advice
Old 12-13-2016, 10:17 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Haha, I saw that set up for sale, I decided to pass on it because I couldn't find anything on the Exedy Stage 1 clutch. I don't think its a Hyper single, as it comes with its own chromoly steel flywheel. The Stage 1 on the Exedy website says OEM replacement and doesn't give any capacity specs. The best I could do was look up the specs for the same clutch for another car and it was sub 200 ft/lbs. I know that likely doesn't apply to the lsj clutch, but I decided it didn't fit with my plans to make more power in the future. Also I'm still on the fence about going to a lightened flywheel in my DD.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:30 AM

Lol yea seems like it's like the GM upgraded clutch which they say is ok for up too 300 ftlbs I think. I just had added everything up and it seemed like a steal
Old 12-13-2016, 05:16 PM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
an exedey stage 1 will be a slightly better than stock clutch, something like the gm upgrade clutch. exedy makes good clutches, both replacement and performance, i wouldnt hesitate to put it in with your mods.

the fidenza flywheel, im not a huge fan. i run one in my cobalt, i regret it. yes it revs quicker, but i dont have a nice smooth idle, you gotta give more throttle when letting the clutch out. i had one in my porsche as well, rough idle, wouldnt idle bellow 1200rpm (its a built l61 ecotec with aggressive cams and huge injectors) not the smoothest shifting, and was very hard to drive with the spec 3+ clutch. it broke the ring gear and i had to change the flywheel, i put a chromoly one in, it was about halfway between a stock flywheel and a fidanza weight wise, made the car 1000x better to drive. got it to idle way smoother and at 1000rpm, the same clutch now feels like an organic faced disc.

imo, aluminum flywheels should stay on track only cars. most people install them with a performance clutch and blame the clutch for the aggressiveness, really you are giving up so much driveability from the flywheel. my recommendation would be to find a steel/chromoly flywheel thats lighter, but not as light as the fidanza.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:42 PM

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts
The spec aluminum flywheelcis a better option.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Sharkey
an exedey stage 1 will be a slightly better than stock clutch, something like the gm upgrade clutch. exedy makes good clutches, both replacement and performance, i wouldnt hesitate to put it in with your mods.

the fidenza flywheel, im not a huge fan. i run one in my cobalt, i regret it. yes it revs quicker, but i dont have a nice smooth idle, you gotta give more throttle when letting the clutch out. i had one in my porsche as well, rough idle, wouldnt idle bellow 1200rpm (its a built l61 ecotec with aggressive cams and huge injectors) not the smoothest shifting, and was very hard to drive with the spec 3+ clutch. it broke the ring gear and i had to change the flywheel, i put a chromoly one in, it was about halfway between a stock flywheel and a fidanza weight wise, made the car 1000x better to drive. got it to idle way smoother and at 1000rpm, the same clutch now feels like an organic faced disc.

imo, aluminum flywheels should stay on track only cars. most people install them with a performance clutch and blame the clutch for the aggressiveness, really you are giving up so much driveability from the flywheel. my recommendation would be to find a steel/chromoly flywheel thats lighter, but not as light as the fidanza.
Ok awsome thanks I don't want to deal with poor idle and vibes I'll just grab the clutch considering its a good deal. I was planning on picking up the GM upgraded clutch so if you feel itll be around the same sounds good. I'll just machine the flywheel as planned or try to find a chromoly. Set up
Old 12-13-2016, 07:30 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Not sure how they are on Eco's but I had a Fidanza on my Z31. Made it a bit harder to launch giving up 15lbs of mass but otherwise it was great. Just really depends on what you like.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:31 PM

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by KobaltSC
Ok awsome thanks I don't want to deal with poor idle and vibes I'll just grab the clutch considering its a good deal. I was planning on picking up the GM upgraded clutch so if you feel itll be around the same sounds good. I'll just machine the flywheel as planned or try to find a chromoly. Set up
DO NOT machine the factory flywheel. Most people blow the tolerence because its very minimal.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:43 PM

Really, ok then so its just a replace it then or ?. I wouldn't want to replace clutch disc and pressure plate without doing the flywheel. I've had good luck with our machine shops with 2 step flywheels.