Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

GM won't replace my trans if abused.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GM won't replace my trans if abused.

Had to tow my car to the dealership last sunday. Was at a friends house after going out for a ride and when we got back to his place we both got out of the car and my car started to smell bad. I looked underneath and my transfluid was leaking. My dealership told me they will take the trans out and see what the problem is. They told me if they found any abuse in the trans that I would have to pay to fix it. They made me read a brochure about wheel hop and WOT lol... Saying that it could damage the trans. Give me a ******* break! My car is factory, I should be allowed to have fun with it without anything breaking on me like that. Anyways im getting kinda broke now so Im gonna have to park it. Their just scamming us to make more money on parts. Ive just about had it with GM...

and yes, ofcourse I ******* get wheelhop and ofcourse I go WOT. My car has 2250hp220tq from the dealership. How do you expect me not to???????????????
Old 06-05-2007, 11:32 AM

very good point, GM is really gay.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BLKSS
Had to tow my car to the dealership last sunday. Was at a friends house after going out for a ride and when we got back to his place we both got out of the car and my car started to smell bad. I looked underneath and my transfluid was leaking. My dealership told me they will take the trans out and see what the problem is. They told me if they found any abuse in the trans that I would have to pay to fix it. They made me read a brochure about wheel hop and WOT lol... Saying that it could damage the trans. Give me a ******* break! My car is factory, I should be allowed to have fun with it without anything breaking on me like that. Anyways im getting kinda broke now so Im gonna have to park it. Their just scamming us to make more money on parts. Ive just about had it with GM...

and yes, ofcourse I ******* get wheelhop and ofcourse I go WOT. My car has [B][B]2250hp220tq from the dealership. How do you expect me not to???????????????
i doubt you have that much hp, but yeah they wont fix it if its abused
Old 06-05-2007, 11:34 AM

dude, ive had 3 tranniees in my car. first one second gear synchro went out, took them a month to replace it, fucked it upped putting it back together, tranny blew, and i got a brand new one after that. there is no way they can say you have to pay man, if they do take it to another dealer.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:49 AM

Sounds to me you have them by the *****!!
If they showed you a brochure on wheel hop ect; Sounds like
they know it's an issue and THEY should fix the problem. Plus,your
car is stock.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by cav101
Sounds to me you have them by the *****!!
If they showed you a brochure on wheel hop ect; Sounds like
they know it's an issue and THEY should fix the problem. Plus,your
car is stock.

stage 2 and exhaust isnt stock

they will relate that to racing

just wait until they check your tire wear and tell you its pre-mature due to burn outs etc..
Old 06-05-2007, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by CobaltBurst
stage 2 and exhaust isnt stock

they will relate that to racing

just wait until they check your tire wear and tell you its pre-mature due to burn outs etc..
Yeah they will whine on how you didn't rotate the tires every 6k blah blah. Sounds like you need to take it to another dealership.

And those modifications have nothing to do with the transmission so pretty much if they can not prove you did it they have to fix it. Be hunting for a new dealership.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:09 PM

I'd ask them exactly what the GM Performance Division badge is doing under the hood, and why they won't stand behind their products.

The whole car is badged GM Performance... it better be able to take a little beating on.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i dunno, playing the other side, ask yourself, do you beat on it? if you abused it and broke it, arn't you just hurting the claims of people that have legit issues?
Old 06-05-2007, 12:38 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
if the housing is cracked and your dealership isn't cool.... you are fucked. sorry, but already had to swap 3 tranny's for people by me for the same reason.

Easy solution... IF YOU GET WHEELHOP LET THE **** OFF THE GAS !
Old 06-05-2007, 12:45 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Wheelhop is not a warrantied condition. If you get wheelhop, do some mods so you won't or don't go WOT in first or second.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by 06blackg85ss
Easy solution... IF YOU GET WHEELHOP LET THE **** OFF THE GAS !
x2!

Wheelhop is a totally managable situation, and as soon as you feel it, let off the gas and you'll be fine. If you constantly ride it out, you will be found at fault. The Cobalt isn't the first car to have wheelhop, and not the first to have **** break from people not able to control their right foot. Good luck - from what you've told us, you'll need it.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Blackout06LS
Yeah they will whine on how you didn't rotate the tires every 6k blah blah. Sounds like you need to take it to another dealership.

And those modifications have nothing to do with the transmission so pretty much if they can not prove you did it they have to fix it. Be hunting for a new dealership.
uhhhh yea they do... they put extra strain etc... they also mean that you are trying to go faster....
Old 06-06-2007, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by FNFAST
It's called learn to drive...when your car starts bucking like your sister on prom...get out of the gas.
best quote on wheel hop ever!!!!
Old 06-06-2007, 12:04 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
lol. btw there is a copy of the dealer notice up on this site somewhere about drive train warranty.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:21 PM

I hit second pretty hard the other day, hopped like once or twice (literally, like hop, hop, then down on the pavement), but I never get wheelhop otherwise, should I be concerned?
Old 06-06-2007, 06:13 PM
kingofkingsvi

hey check this out i had a broken tranny and my dealer replaced it there was a pin on the inside which broke and punched a hole in the tranny they told me the same thing about abuse and how the car is not a race car and all tha jazz but they put in a new one they even changed the clutch if ur car is still stock fight for the honor of ur warranty and i gotta take it easy now i never had wheel hop before and i have it now u know u will think that they would build a power house like the ss and the parts will take the power but they dont this is why i turned to honda but the balts made me return damn my civic never gave me this kinda trouble and it was pushing 450 with 20 psi **** was faster too but i love the balts the body style rocks
Old 06-06-2007, 06:21 PM

that they would build a power house like the ss
lmfao
Old 06-06-2007, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by halfj99
lmfao
Old 06-11-2007, 04:13 PM

Not true. I broke my case at the track in the fourth round. I towed it home and called the dealer where I bought the car. They told me to get to them and they would fix it on a one time deal. They told me and they would put it in writing. GM performance division gives you a one time fix. I signed the paper stating it was a one time fix for wheel hop. I'll look through my paper work and give you the TSB from gm performance division. GM admits theres a problem with the tranny mounts not being strong enough and the harmonic vibrations from wheel hop cracks the case.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:42 PM
kingofkingsvi

Originally Posted by BillyG
Not true. I broke my case at the track in the fourth round. I towed it home and called the dealer where I bought the car. They told me to get to them and they would fix it on a one time deal. They told me and they would put it in writing. GM performance division gives you a one time fix. I signed the paper stating it was a one time fix for wheel hop. I'll look through my paper work and give you the TSB from gm performance division. GM admits theres a problem with the tranny mounts not being strong enough and the harmonic vibrations from wheel hop cracks the case.
thats odd i didnt had to sign any papers. i didnt have wheel hop. some pin in the tranny broke and the diff but i now have wheel hop its been about 2 months since they changed the tranny u kno wha dude can u send me that TSB to when u find it if u dont mind thanx
Old 06-11-2007, 10:46 PM

Weak
Old 06-12-2007, 03:34 PM

It will cost me 4400 plus taxes including labour and about a month without a car... Shoot me. i ******* hate GM so much, what makes them think I will ever buy another car from them aftert this?
Old 06-12-2007, 03:51 PM

Join the club man...my car is in a very reputable transmission shop as we speak getting fixed for the same effing ****...if you cant get anything done with gm (which you probably wont i couldnt...) dont even bother getting them to fix it. Find a good transmission shop thats been around for a long time and they will do it a LOT cheaper.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:00 AM

I cracked my transmission housing due to wheel hop, took it back to the dealer, they replaced it no questions asked. If one dealer says no, take it to another they won't all say no.

Quick Reply: GM won't replace my trans if abused.