Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Kinda confused ... wheel hop issue.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kinda confused ... wheel hop issue.

There is a lot (too much ?) of products that have been said to eliminate the wheel hop issue ...

1 : Ingalls single or dual dampener
2 : JPB control arm bushings
3 : INTENSE™ LSJ Polyurethane Transaxle Mounts
4 : JBP Polyurethane Passenger Engine Mount
5 : ZZP Poly filled engine mount
6 : ZZP Billet engine mount
7 : ZZP Billet rear trans mount
8 : ZZP Poly front trans mount

Which single product (not too expensive to buy and to install) can I buy that will virtually eliminate all the wheel hop, but most importantly will eliminate the kinda engine swing feeling between the first and second gear shift ? Man that's a crappy feeling from a virtually brand new car ...
Old 05-12-2006, 02:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ingalls single or dual dampener most likely
Old 05-12-2006, 02:37 PM

ingalls..
its the only thing i have to elimiate wheep hop and i have zero wheel hop with it installed.. i saw all the mounts and such items like that before it came out.. but as soon as i saw how this worked i knew instantly it was the answer the other failed to realize..
the motor/tranny blah blah mounts isnt going to fix a twisting motor when they are identical except for the material used to make them.. there had to be something to physicall stand in the way of the twist which ingalls does
Old 05-12-2006, 03:00 PM

Or you could go with the torque foward torque braces. They look great and perfom better. That and they're a helllllllava lot cheaper than the ingalls. You can get a single like the ingalls or the dual whick uses 2 braces to completely isolate the engine from moving. I've gottem on my ride and they rock, with no vibrations that I can hear.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:52 PM

Ingalls hands down.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:30 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vita Brace will eliminate it, until it breaks
zzp motormount won't eliminate it.

I just installed the Ingalls brace I will let you know.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:56 PM

Zinner thanks to post the result here )
Old 05-12-2006, 07:21 PM

great question

i am waiting with anticipation to the answer guys. i hate the wheel hop in this car!
im going to the meet in milan MI this weekend to answer this question. i want to see peoples setups and feel the varying levels of wheel hop and vibration.
The only negative thing i can say about the braces is the looks. its just two metal plates and a piston. the motor mounts (especially the new one from ZZP) look fantastic. thats just my opinion though. but lets here from everybody with any of these setups. if you have more than one let us know how each actually performs.

Thanks a ton guys.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:15 AM

ok so vita/cynic cynic upgraded this thing and it is amazing. it hops very small in 1st but totally eliminted my 1-2nd shift hop. 2nd now stands up and smokes the tires.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i believe jbp cabs are the best solution because they eliminate wheel hop and do not increase vibes.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:16 AM

another idea for you is stickier tires. Try the bfg kdw-2s. They are a really sticky tire that might eliminate it and also if you drop to a 17" rim instead that would relieve more wheel hop.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:34 PM

Need more opinions....I need something to eliminate wheelhop(or come close) without being too uncomfortable b/c i am going to race next month and I don't need that shiznit!
Old 05-14-2006, 03:57 AM
Non Authorized / Non-Supporting

I'm going to have to say that nowhere in my name does the word "VITA" appear. The only similarity between his and mine is the pretty colored piece in the middle. His brackets are in the garbage and strong carbon steel brackets are in its place. This metal is stronger than stainless.

Moderator: I would suggest that you not bash a PAYING vendor's product especially when you are referencing the wrong product. It's no longer a Vita brace. It's a Torque Forward brace and it's completely different. Thanks

Ben

Vita's product:

My Product:
Old 05-14-2006, 04:31 AM

and they're helluva lot cheaper than ingalls. Thanks Alot Cynic!

Old 05-14-2006, 05:23 PM

My ingalls brace stopped 80% of the wheel hop . 225/45 BFG KDW-2's were a very positive addition too . I havent been to track yet with the 2 , but on the street between the brace and the tires I can launch the car wheel hop free now .
Old 05-14-2006, 06:45 PM

uh oh

lets stay on topic.....
does anybody have anythiing to say about front engine mounts? tranny mounts?
i see alot of commenting about the cynic and ingalls braces, but i hate the looks of a brace. to me it looks out of place. just my opinion. at the same time though jekyl's engine bay with ingals braces looks great!

anybody out there got the jbody engine mounts?
http://www.jbodyperformance.com/new/...catName=JP0909

ZZp's engine mount?
http://www.zzperformance.com/cobalt_...195aeb3e54a420

i think the new engine mount from ZZP looks great! but iwant to know its going to work first! help me please!
Old 05-14-2006, 06:49 PM

Trans mounts are the way to go for stopping wheelhop. Keep in mind though, that the car will ride a lot rougher with the poly filled trans mounts.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:38 PM

Mounts will do more than just eliminate wheelhop. They will also reduce the amount of power that is lost through the drivetrain and help get more power and torque to the wheels. But as mentioned, they will make your car sound louder and cause more vibrations inside the cabin. I do not have any mounts for my Cobalt yet, but I had a lower engine mount and front/rear tranny mount inserts on my '03 Sunfire. Everyone who rode in my car asked my why it was so loud and if there was something wrong with it. That being said, replacing my mounts with ZZP engine/tranny mounts is still the first thing I plan on doing after getting a couple of stock timeslips next weekend.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:46 PM

Here is the BIG problem i have with relying on the torque brace only or a motor mount only as a method to control engine movement.

When under hard accell and when powershifting, the motor and tranny will literally twist horizontally do to nothng "beefed" up in the other 3 mounting positions. Trust me, this is NOT good!

I have went with what i thought was the best compromise and so far, it has worked perfect! The engine and tranny is supported ay both ends and front and back in approximately the center of the Torque CG movement area.
I upgrade the 2 middle mounts to eliminate in forward and back motion and by keeping it centered, i get no twisting in the drivetrain. Now for and all out race only car, i would say ALL 4 mounts need replaced, but for most of us, i feel the 2 center mounts are more/most important.

I have been launching at 3500rpm with slicks and getting NO wheelhop. I get NO wheelhop on the street and there is no twisting in the drivetrain anymore.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by FAST06SS
Here is the BIG problem i have with relying on the torque brace only or a motor mount only as a method to control engine movement.

When under hard accell and when powershifting, the motor and tranny will literally twist horizontally do to nothng "beefed" up in the other 3 mounting positions. Trust me, this is NOT good!

I have went with what i thought was the best compromise and so far, it has worked perfect! The engine and tranny is supported ay both ends and front and back in approximately the center of the Torque CG movement area.
I upgrade the 2 middle mounts to eliminate in forward and back motion and by keeping it centered, i get no twisting in the drivetrain. Now for and all out race only car, i would say ALL 4 mounts need replaced, but for most of us, i feel the 2 center mounts are more/most important.

I have been launching at 3500rpm with slicks and getting NO wheelhop. I get NO wheelhop on the street and there is no twisting in the drivetrain anymore.

How's your vibration though?
Old 05-14-2006, 08:13 PM

what combo did you use? Tranny & Engine mount? What brand as well?
Old 05-14-2006, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by dirtySSout
How's your vibration though?
NONE at cruise/steady speeds, some on accell and some/moderate at idle. Less than my motormount only though.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:15 PM

I like the Torque braces as long as there would be one on each end of the powertrain. Novel idea!! either way.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:20 PM

NONE at cruise/steady speeds, some on accell and some/moderate at idle. Less than my motormount only though.
What brand are you using?/variation of mounts are you using?
Old 05-14-2006, 08:20 PM
Non Authorized / Non-Supporting

I like the Torque braces as long as there would be one on each end of the powertrain. Novel idea!! either way.
The Torque Forward Dual Brace braces both sides of the powertrain. One on top, one below and they're each on opposite sides.

Quick Reply: Kinda confused ... wheel hop issue.