Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

left/right CV axle inner stub difference?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
left/right CV axle inner stub difference?

I have a 2006 cobalt ss/sc. I ordered the correct and exact same CV axle for left and right sides (long story). While I wait to receive the exact same part # for left and right sides - I am wondering if there is a difference between the inner stub shaft when installed in the car. The driver side CV axle connects directly into the transmission. But the right side connects to an intermediate shaft. Do I need to do any inner stub shaft swapping to properly connect up the passenger side intermediate shaft? If so - then any tips on such an operation?
thx
IW
Old 12-06-2017, 01:43 PM

Received 222 Likes on 182 Posts
supposedly people say they are the same. But GM list two different parts.

As for putting the axle in the intermediate shaft. Nothing special just push it in until the ring snaps.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by royce777

As for putting the axle in the intermediate shaft. Nothing special just push it in until the ring snaps.
thx for the response - and hopefully that is the case. I asked the question because the rockauto cardone cv assembly has a special note indicating there needs to be a stub swap for the right side.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:08 PM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
Originally Posted by royce777

They are def the same, CV joints don't really have a direction they have to run in.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:44 PM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
Originally Posted by slipslapjack
thx for the response - and hopefully that is the case. I asked the question because the rockauto cardone cv assembly has a special note indicating there needs to be a stub swap for the right side.
the stub shaft thing only applies to automatics. the 4t45e has female splines on both axles as well as the passenger side of the transmission. they use a stub axle (basicly a short splines section with clips on both ends) and they usually stay in the axle when you remove it, hence having to swap it over. all manual transmissions use male splined axles, no removable stub shaft
Old 12-08-2017, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Sharkey
the stub shaft thing only applies to automatics. the 4t45e has female splines on both axles as well as the passenger side of the transmission. they use a stub axle (basicly a short splines section with clips on both ends) and they usually stay in the axle when you remove it, hence having to swap it over. all manual transmissions use male splined axles, no removable stub shaft
Ok - thx. So - just so I'm clear on this - was there an automatic transmission version of the 2006 ss/sc ? I thought they were all 5-spd manuals.
Thx
IW
Old 12-08-2017, 02:50 PM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
no there was never an ss/sc with an auto, but if you look at the listings on rock auto they show the mu3, 5mt45 and the automatic axles when your entered 2.0l supercharged as the engine. id assume your parts store is the same deal.