Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Lets end the clutch confusion!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lets end the clutch confusion!!

So I am in the market for a new clutch and have been reading all the threads trying to figure out the best one to get. Unfortunately every thread seems to go in a different direction and opinions are changing like the East Coast weather.

I'd like to hear from the people who are actually running aftermarket clutches in their cars. No opinions, just actual facts! Tell me what clutch you have, how does it work/feel and would you buy it again?

This is mainly going to be used for street driving so I don't want anything that is going to be an epic pain in the ass to drive.

Price is not a huge factor for me as I am willing to pay the price for the Exedy if it turns out to be the best one!
Old 07-09-2010, 11:02 AM
I'm too JDM for you

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how much farther do you intend to go with the car?

I am running the GMPP clutch upgrade and i love it. its extremely affordable too
Old 07-09-2010, 11:02 AM
Banned

If those are all the mods you have then GMPP clutch kit...
Old 07-09-2010, 12:41 PM

I plan on doing a few more things in the near future. Meth, TB, New Tune.

That's the main reason that I need the new clutch. The stock one slips periodically now, but with the addition of Meth and the new tune, it's not going to stand a chance.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:46 PM
Banned

GMPP will still be fine you wont be 300hp so.
And I really hope you're not planning on going to intense for that tuning.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:47 PM

don't judge what kind of clutch you should get by the mods you want. Have an honest horsepower number you want. Then get your appropriate clutch. You should know, since you've looked (from the looks of it) how varying the price of all these clutches can be.

To answer your original question (and a little of my own), I own an Exedy Hypersingle Clutch. Cost me 1500 after install. It is super close to stock feel (albeit it may not feel like it at first). Why did I get the most expensive one? Two reasons:

(1) Because I knew the time attack cobalt uses it so it can support a thrashing and maintain dd.

(2) Because I want at least 400hp on my car, and I know this clutch will more than support those numbers.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:58 PM
I'm too JDM for you

Originally Posted by mexi_loco
don't judge what kind of clutch you should get by the mods you want. Have an honest horsepower number you want. Then get your appropriate clutch. You should know, since you've looked (from the looks of it) how varying the price of all these clutches can be.

To answer your original question (and a little of my own), I own an Exedy Hypersingle Clutch. Cost me 1500 after install. It is super close to stock feel (albeit it may not feel like it at first). Why did I get the most expensive one? Two reasons:

(1) Because I knew the time attack cobalt uses it so it can support a thrashing and maintain dd.

(2) Because I want at least 400hp on my car, and I know this clutch will more than support those numbers.
not close to stock feel at all. that clutch has stupid amounts of pedal pressure(yes i owned one)
Old 07-09-2010, 01:11 PM

mine has a very nice feel to it. It was stiff at first, but either I've gotten used to, it's loosened up a little (not good I assume), or it's probably time to bleed the clutch
Old 07-09-2010, 01:13 PM
I'm too JDM for you

trust me you got used to it. i got used to mine and i didn't think it was that bad except in traffic. then i drove a stock clutched LSJ :facepalm: i swear i almost kicked the clutch master cylinder out of the bulkhead when i went to start it
Old 07-09-2010, 01:19 PM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
I have the stock clutch. I just did a rolling burnout in 1st and chirped 2nd, so I guess it's still working.

Oh, recommendations. The GMPP upgraded clutch seems to be the best bang for buck when it comes to replacing the clutch. It's priced right, and from what I've gathered works just like the stock clutch in terms of drivability, only with more clamping power.

Get it.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chris88z24
I have the stock clutch. I just did a rolling burnout in 1st and chirped 2nd, so I guess it's still working.

Oh, recommendations. The GMPP upgraded clutch seems to be the best bang for buck when it comes to replacing the clutch. It's priced right, and from what I've gathered works just like the stock clutch in terms of drivability, only with more clamping power.

Get it.
Stop doing rolling burnouts and maybe your intermediate shaft bearing won't show play...

FYI, I'll be running the GMPP clutch on my car when it's back together. Way too much power for it, but it comes on different on a turbo than a S/C so with proper break in I should be fine. Helps that it's rebuildable, too...
Old 07-09-2010, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Edubs
Stop doing rolling burnouts and maybe your intermediate shaft bearing won't show play...

FYI, I'll be running the GMPP clutch on my car when it's back together. Way too much power for it, but it comes on different on a turbo than a S/C so with proper break in I should be fine. Helps that it's rebuildable, too...
The cement by the airport is just asking for it. I had the A/C on so I didn't think they would break loose, especially with 70% boost limit in 1st, but...I was wrong. haha

HPT comes today, if you're bored later feel free to come check out my wacky t00n.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:36 PM

Alright ********, stop jackin my thread, haha.

I am skeptical about the GMPP clutch. I am putting down 260whp now, and with a few more mods I don't want to be running close to the limits of what it can hold. I just don't want to have to due the job twice and end up spending double the money.

SOOO much confusion, Too many options hahaha

Originally Posted by 05Slowline
GMPP will still be fine you wont be 300hp so.
And I really hope you're not planning on going to intense for that tuning.
Yeah no, I won't be going to them for the tune. I bought their canned tune when they were the only ones offering tuning for the car over 3 years ago. I have a custom street tune now and will be doing the same thing again when the new mods are added.

Last edited by BooSSted; 07-09-2010 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-09-2010, 01:39 PM

i have the gmpp upgraded clutch as well.. its feels pretty much like stock.. and grabs really good no sliping at all.. it used to birk in 3rd but not anymore so i gues its jus broke in idk lol
Old 07-09-2010, 01:40 PM
I'm too JDM for you

i know of 3 turbo LSJ's running this clutch. one making like 325whp, another doing 350whp and another doing 417whp
Old 07-09-2010, 01:45 PM

The GMPP clutch is FINE.

Paul ran the STOCK clutch on his turbo LSJ, in NEW YORK CITY traffic, for many a miles, with no issues.

If you're one to abuse clutches, then you might want to get something a little more heavy duty.

It's 100% up to the driver how long the clutch will last. If you're only slipping it marginally on takeoff, then I see no reason why the OEM clutch won't last up to 80,000-100,000 miles before needing replacement. Even with a 2.7/60# etc etc, that's not nearly enough torque to cause the clutch to slip unless you're making it or there is something wrong with it.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by BooSSted

I am skeptical about the GMPP clutch. I am putting down 260whp now, and with a few more mods I don't want to be running close to the limits of what it can hold. I just don't want to have to due the job twice and end up spending double the money.

Clutch failure limits are rated in torque. You're not going to overpower a properly broken in and driven GMPP clutch on the M62...

Originally Posted by BLAZIN07SS
i know of 3 turbo LSJ's running this clutch. one making like 325whp, another doing 350whp and another doing 417whp
I'll be number 4 this summer. I'll be on the high end as well, but nothing crazy. Wherever the chips fall at ~22.5psi on a 3071 (~400ish?)

Originally Posted by chris88z24
The GMPP clutch is FINE.

Paul ran the STOCK clutch on his turbo LSJ, in NEW YORK CITY traffic, for many a miles, with no issues.

If you're one to abuse clutches, then you might want to get something a little more heavy duty.
The ones who destroy clutches are the ones you'll see with problems on ALL aftermarket clutches. People don't install, break-in or drive them properly and then the product is labeled as ****. Typical car stuff, if you ask me...
Old 07-09-2010, 01:52 PM

Mhmm.

Cars are machines, with many mechanical moving parts. If you abuse them past their tolerances, like any other machine, you're going to have ******' problems!

GRASP THIS CONCEPT, PEOPLE.

/typing, not/Samuel Adams Summer Ale
Old 07-09-2010, 02:15 PM
Banned

Yeah no, I won't be going to them for the tune. I bought their canned tune when they were the only ones offering tuning for the car over 3 years ago. I have a custom street tune now and will be doing the same thing again when the new mods are added.
Yeah like said before the stock clutch itself is pretty good and people run it on your mods for a good while let alone the upgraded one, gmpp one comes with an lnf tob too.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:27 PM

Alright, well I guess the GMPP one is the way to go then.

Now onto the flywheel question? Light or stock?
Old 07-09-2010, 02:28 PM

Stock...

...you must have it resurfaced prior to install, though.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:30 PM
I'm too JDM for you

Alright, well I guess the GMPP one is the way to go then.

Now onto the flywheel question? Light or stock?
New stock one fits the job perfect. my recommendation for everything you need is:

-GMPP clutch kit(includes pressure plate, clutch disk, PP to FW bolts and LNF throw out bearing)
-New stock flywheel
-(8) new flywheel bolts
-Clutch pipe(they are infamous for leaking)

Originally Posted by Edubs
Stock...

...you must have it resurfaced prior to install, though.
GM doesn't recommend that you resurface it for some reason...don't know exactly why. a new one is $130 anyway

Last edited by BLAZIN07SS; 07-09-2010 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-09-2010, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZIN07SS
New stock one fits the job perfect. my recommendation for everything you need is:

-GMPP clutch kit(includes pressure plate, clutch disk, PP to FW bolts and LNF throw out bearing)
-New stock flywheel
-(8) new flywheel bolts
-Clutch pipe(they are infamous for leaking)

GM doesn't recommend that you resurface it for some reason...don't know exactly why. a new one is $130 anyway
Solid list. I would recommend calling Greg or Tom at CED to get everything on that list. Good guys, good prices, fast shipping.

And, eh, I had mine resurfaced. Upon inspection it looked to be in great shape. Then again, my car has less than 32K on it. I prob would have bought a new one if my car had more miles on it...
Old 07-09-2010, 02:39 PM
Banned

To add to blazins list when you order off of CED there's a clutch alignment tool too, doesn't come with the kit.
I bought a used one to get it resurfaced but the price you pay for that might as well just buy new.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:52 PM

GMPD is about $75 cheaper than CED for that list. $440 shipped for all of it is a pretty good price!

Quick Reply: Lets end the clutch confusion!!