Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

LNF sometimes grinding 2nd and 4th

Old 06-19-2016, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LNF sometimes grinding 2nd and 4th

2009 LNF with 72,xxx miles. The clutch has been slipping for about 5,000 miles now, but recently it started grinding when going into 2nd and 4th about every 10 shifts or so, and sometimes 4th gear isn't even there. It's like it just shifts into neutral instead (despite other gears working fine). I'm wondering if this is just the final stage of the clutches life, or if there's a potential problem with the sun rose, shift linkage or something else. Advice is appreciated since I only have 1 day a week to mess with this thing. Thanks all.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:52 PM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Try putting in a new clutch. Should fix it.

I say this because my friend that has a slipping clutch, it used to never grind until his clutch started slipping. Still waiting on his car to be put back together.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have close to the same issue. I have a 2007 SS/SC with 119000 miles and I didn't have trouble with the transmission until a month ago and with my OCD, it's driving me nuts! So to begin, I lowered my car almost a year ago with the Ksport coilovers low enough where there was no room in between the tires and fender well. During that time, when I got it aligned, the car started to shake during accelerations and takeoffs. I did some research and changed the axles to the ZZP axles but it didn't change much. After more hours of research, I found out that the LSJ's DO NOT like to be lowered and if you do, you get Axle Binding. So I had to raise the car up. That problem was fixed. Also, during the Time of upgrading axles, I also installed the ZZP short shift mod. The transmission fluid that I was told to buy from the AUTOZONE guy was Dexron 3 ATF fluid. He told me that's the fluid I need to put into my transmission when I was swapping my axles. Which was completely wrong. I finally got the correct fluid and drained the wrong one and placed the correct one. When I test drove my car, the shaking went away but a new problem arose. I would hear a faint grinding like noise only when I shift into 2nd and 4th gear. It's faint enough that the muffler covers the noise up when the windows are lowered. I noticed it because I had a weird feeling. I rose the windows and noticed the noise and now I'm baffled about what's causing it and worried that it might be causing damage to my trans. Can anybody help me out with this. Sorry about all the writing, I just wanted to give the back story.