Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

is it my clutch??

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is it my clutch??

K so I was having a bit of an argument with my dad he was saying that if my clutch was going out my clutch pedal should be loose but I.said that's only on a cable trans and on.hydro it's different the pedal should be like normal. And the way my clutch is now I am.pretty much sure it is the clutch cause I can't even move anywhere unless I.bounce it off the rev limiter but it will shut off after doing it to long. So is it the clutch? Or???

Last edited by Manny5569; 01-01-2014 at 10:47 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:57 PM
Got Bewst?

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Old 01-01-2014, 09:57 PM

Okay we need to ask some questions.

1st Has it been progressively slipping from 5th to 4th and 3rd so on as the RPM's went up or uphill?

2nd Can you put it in gear with clutch depressed?

3rd Does Reverse and first respond more than the other gears?

4th Does it grind or does it just suddenly let off?

You've got either a bent clutch rod (easy fix just so infuriatingly tedious) or your clutch has an air pocket which are a nightmare to get bled out with a vacuum unit it takes a few seconds, lastly it could be the throwout bearing having given way if it's somewhere between 40-80K abuse can sometimes wear it out or on higher pressure clutches altogether destroy it.

Let me know I'll advise further.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:00 PM

If you depress the pedal and put it in gear with no issues you can rule out 2 things. Your TOB and slave cylinder work.. (which I think is the same thing on these cars).. with that said, if you let off the clutch to drive and your no moving or its slipping, it's gone.. Your dad is a dumb ass, tell the geezer to learn how to use Google before he argues with someone about a topic he's obviously unfamiliar with ;-) cheers!
Old 01-01-2014, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Legion

1st Has it been progressively slipping from 5th to 4th and 3rd so on as the RPM's went up or uphill?

You've got either a bent clutch rod (easy fix just so infuriatingly tedious) or your clutch has an air pocket which are a nightmare to get bled out with a vacuum unit it takes a few seconds, lastly it could be the throwout bearing having given way if it's somewhere between 40-80K abuse can sometimes wear it out or on higher pressure clutches altogether destroy it.

I highly doubt there's an air pocket lol. **** don't happen like magic. Maybe a bend push rod though! I didn't think of that..
Old 01-01-2014, 10:05 PM

Btw, if you have to "bounce it off the Rev limiter" to get it to move, you need driver mod.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by REDi DEViSTATOR
If you depress the pedal and put it in gear with no issues you can rule out 2 things. Your TOB and slave cylinder work.. (which I think is the same thing on these cars).. with that said, if you let off the clutch to drive and your no moving or its slipping, it's gone.. Your dad is a dumb ass, tell the geezer to learn how to use Google before he argues with someone about a topic he's obviously unfamiliar with ;-) cheers!
He doesn't care for Google douche
Old 01-01-2014, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Legion

Well I can't even drive it now and when I would drive it I put it in 5th and the rpms would go up but not the mph
And no gear won't go in depressed
All gears are the same
No grinding
Old 01-01-2014, 10:10 PM
Former Vendor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
gmpp upgrade clutch crate engine depot under 300 to ur door. put it in.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:12 PM
Got Bewst?

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Bouncing it off the limiter to try to get it to move you are going to want a flywheel too lol
Old 01-01-2014, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Powell Race Parts
gmpp upgrade clutch crate engine depot under 300 to ur door. put it in.
Getting one from a local shop called jdp
Old 01-01-2014, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Manny5569
He doesn't care for Google douche
Leave your feelings at the door noob I'm only trying to help here's a thought, have you checked to see if you have a hydraulic leak? It happened to me before. It's a good thing this douche cares about knowledge and where to find it lol.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bluelightning
Bouncing it off the limiter to try to get it to move you are going to want a flywheel too lol
Among other parts lol. Idk, at this point the engine shuts off after it shows a **** load of knock from that crap so you might be putting a new clutch in an engine that's about to grenade on you soon...
Old 01-01-2014, 10:21 PM

hmmm...mine goes into gear fine but I have to let wayyy off the clutch to get it going. instead of how it use to be barely letting off the clutch.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:22 PM

Leave your feelings at the door noob I'm only trying to help here's a thought, have you checked to see if you have a hydraulic leak? It happened to me before. It's a good thing this douche cares about knowledge and where to find it lol.
Looks like your a noob too
Old 01-01-2014, 10:25 PM

So is it just a toss up in what it is
Old 01-01-2014, 10:27 PM

No lol I've been on here for a few years kid.. and I don't need advice from people to know if my ******* clutch is gone. If the god damn thing don't move, take a step back scratch your ass and send it to a shop or do like me, tear it apart and see what's what. Don't order **** till you KNOW what's wrong. You can't tell from the outside. Trust me I'm being nice about this. If Mr. B were in here he'd make you cry for showing your age and feelings ;-) have a nice day son. I'm outta this thread bahahahaha
Old 01-01-2014, 10:32 PM

No lol I've been on here for a few years kid.. and I don't need advice from people to know if my ******* clutch is gone. If the god damn thing don't move, take a step back scratch your ass and send it to a shop or do like me, tear it apart and see what's what. Don't order **** till you KNOW what's wrong. You can't tell from the outside. Trust me I'm being nice about this. If Mr. B were in here he'd make you cry for showing your age and feelings ;-) have a nice day son. I'm outta this thread bahahahaha
K whatever
Old 01-01-2014, 10:36 PM
Where's The Cruze SS?
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Lol
Old 01-01-2014, 10:48 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
with the information supplied, im 100% sure that you are failing 11th grade english class

lol, jk, but seriously, is the car derivable at all? does the clutch slip?
Old 01-01-2014, 10:59 PM

I actually did fail English all three years of high school but did great in all other subjects haha but it is not.drivable right now but was slipping it would not catch gear I would have it in the drive way stopped and put it in gear let off the clutch and would still be running and also would be on the free way going about 50-60 and put it in 5th and put the pedal down and rpms would go.up but not the mph
Old 01-01-2014, 11:10 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
okay, then you do need a new clutch. if it doesnt work out with your shop, order from crate engine depot as powell mentioned. the clutch is hydraulically operated and if your throw out bearing is in working order, your pedal will feel normal.

you might as well replace the throw out bearing while your in there. and they also say the clutch pipe, but i never have. all of this is available at ced
Old 01-01-2014, 11:18 PM

Yea I'm.doing clutch pipe throw out bearing and fly wheel bolts and resurfacing the fly wheel.. what type of trans fluid goes in this
Old 01-01-2014, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
try posting in the correct section it is located here Drivetrain - Cobalt SS Network or you can post it here Problems/Service/Maintenance - Cobalt SS Network this is the performance section not my car is broke section

put a gmpp clutch in it
Old 01-02-2014, 03:49 PM

I would recommend the Redline stuff from ZZP that helps alot. Sorry for the hostility it's a repeat affair for most and your new.

Go at least a decent brand. As for grenading the engine, umm no. You have to remove rev limiters, and on a car that is restricted I doubt it, it is possible but fringe science kinda way.

Be careful with the throwout bearing if your doing it yourself, the heads of the screws strip easy with that hex. If you get a heavy clutch the adjustable clutch rod is worth it. And while breaking in the new clutch try to avoid freeway use if possible, the inconsistent RPM's will help seat the clutch.

I advise shifting about 3K rpm from then on for max clutch life.

Quick Reply: is it my clutch??